WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) When I started my weight loss journey and stopped eating food at potlucks, I was surprised and delighted to find out how many other people didn't eat potluck food either, and probably for the reasons you have all described. I had always thought I'd look odd if I didn't eat and was happy to find out that I wasn't odd at all.

:) Dog lovers might enjoy reading "Pack of Two" by Caroline Knapp
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Heather - sounds like you had a fantastic time.

Lisa - men are strange my husband refused to let me have a dog for 12 years after the border collie we had destroyed the house and garden he tried building an outdoor running for it but he dug through it and the wall lol! We now have two dogs who sleep on the bed and cats to think he has given up but walking the dogs has improved his health enormously.

Barbiecat- thanks I will try that book!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    The only time I feel funny measuring out food is when I’m eating at someone else’s house. That’s when it’s nice to have a good feel for how much is in 1 cup, etc.

Heather – I love to read all about your cruises. Looking forward to the next installment!

Katla – I’m glad you’re seeing a doc about that mole

Debbie VA – you know that you can say (just about) anything here

Sunday here: Did an hour of Wii Training Games. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of the 10MS Butt Lift DVD then take the extremepump class.

KJ – I like your way of getting rid of fruit flies. I have to try that next time we have some. I’m not crazy about putting bleach or anything out on the counter as I’m afraid one of the cats might lap it up.

Rori – Loved all the pictures. There was a lady around here, she was on Jay Leno, she was called the “gourd lady” because she made things out of gourds. I have a mushroom that she made. Unfortunately, she passed. But it WAS funny how she hit Jay Leno on the head with a gourd

M – how I wish we could hang our clothes outside. It’s against the HOA. I loved when I was able to do it at our second house.

I think starting Tues I’m going to come back to logging at MFP. I think their database, while unverified, is more extensive.

SuziQ – another eye opener is to look at the calories, even in healthy food. I was shocked by how many calories are in a sweet potato or a banana

Barbara:
    Tofu pie/Chocolate Infinite Pie

1 pkg silken tofu
    1-1/3 cup chocolate chips, melted
    3T pure maple syrup
    2T milk
    2t cocoa powder
    1t vanilla extract
    1/8t salt
    8-1/2 inch readymade piecrust (I usually use a graham cracker crust)

Process all ingredients in food processor until completely smooth. Pour into piecrust. Refrigerate uncovered 6 hrs to firm up

Serves 8

140 calories
    4gm fiber
    18gr carb
    3g protein

I also add ½ pkg of unflavored gelatin since silken is not thick at all.

Even Vince eats this. I just don’t mention the tofu and he doesn’t know any different. I tried using firm tofu once and it just never processed to a smooth consistency where I could get it by Vince.

Have the diamond dotz for Colby almost done, only one more color to go. Got a lot done yesterday when it was pretty cloudy out so I didn’t go in the pool. Sunny today so I’ll probably go in the pool (probably????)

Think I’ll post this before I run out of time again.

Michele in NC
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Rita – what a drag! You have had such a good eating plan, can you make the weight loss eating plan and the medical plan work together?

Heather – very posh! Have fun 😊

I am really tired today, I know it is many days of not enough sleep, and still working long physical days.

Kim from N. California

After much research, I’ve found my eating plan now will work with the medical plan. Pretty much eat and if reaction figure out what I ate test and avoid the triggers. I’m in remission right now so have made a list of things to avoid.

Anyone here use GoodRX? My GI prescribed a Med for tho colitis that my insurance was going to charge me $450 for 90 days. Found it through goodrx for $86. That’s a huge relief!

Pg. 95 complete

RvRita
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Lisa ~ Is there anyway your daughter could board the dogs for a few days? That's what my son has to do when they go on vacation.

Carol in GA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    So far most non-KETO foods trigger symptoms such as dairy, sugar, animal fats, and high carb items. Seems the stricter I follow my own eating plan, the less symptoms I get. Research also enforces that discovery. So manageable, probably without meds.

RvRita
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbie: I hope that your mobile phone company resolves your charging issue. :flowerforyou:

Rebecca: There is another possibility for getting to Olympia and avoiding I-5. Take the ferry to Port Townsend & drive down the Washington peninsula to see your DS and DDIL in Olympia. The peninsula has lovely scenery and loads less traffic than I-5. We took that trip several years ago and enjoyed every minute. I see that Lanette has the same idea. :flowerforyou:

SueBDew: My mom always said that trouble comes in threes. It looks like she was right. :ohwell:

Gingerberric: I’ve always let MFP set my calorie goals. At first it was a necessity. I needed guidance. MFP sets things so that you lose slowly, and that is a healthy way to go. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: This is a mild weather area and boating is possible year around. Sailing is pleasant from May through October most years. Sometimes March & April have a few nice days, too. :star:

Terri: I love “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…” :bigsmile:

Karen in VA: We do not have a fenced yard. We have roller-leashes at the front and back door. We clip our boy on a leash and he goes off the deck and does his business, which I clean up. Safe, easy, and a lot less expensive than a fence. I live in a townhouse community that has a perimeter fence with gates that are kept closed unless a person is coming in or going out. Inside the perimeter we don’t have individual fenced yards. :noway:

Barbie: Thank you for the recommendation for Pack of Two. I’ll look for it. :smiley:

Heather: I love reading about your travels. :bigsmile:

Michelle: I’ll need to get in to the doctor on Monday. I’m leaving in a few days after that to visit my grandchildren. Thanks for the encouraging reminder. :star:

RV Rita: Good news about your reduced digestive issues. :smiley:

I want to see my grandchildren, but I dread flying alone. I’ll be leaving Wednesday. I’m having to woman up and deal with it. DH will not go, and with good reasons. He could have gone in the RV earlier in the year but various medical issues got in the way of that trip.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,127 Member
    edited September 2019
    Katla - just imagine us sitting beside you on the plane. We are with you in spirit. <3. You can most definitely do it.

We went up to the very top deck to watch the ship leave port. Quite a few people from the town came out to wave at us.
    We started chatting to a nice Irish lady standing next to us and she turned out to be the Captain's wife!!

Tonight's entertainment is an award winning magician. I'm not keen on magicians, but it'll be fine, I'm sure.

If you are at all interested in art, do have a look at the link. I was really impressed by the paintings and the history of the group.

Much love to you all,
    Heather, off the coast of Denmark. Xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    vo8sgn7ecigv.jpg
  • barbiecat
    :)Rebecca, If you take the ferry to Port Townsend and drive down 101 along the Hood Canal to Olympia you will see beautiful sights that people save their whole lives to visit. The scenery will be like an high end vacation.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2019
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Barbie: I hope that your mobile phone company resolves your charging issue. :flowerforyou:

Rebecca: There is another possibility for getting to Olympia and avoiding I-5. Take the ferry to Port Townsend & drive down the Washington peninsula to see your DS and DDIL in Olympia. The peninsula has lovely scenery and loads less traffic than I-5. We took that trip several years ago and enjoyed every minute. I see that Lanette has the same idea. :flowerforyou:

SueBDew: My mom always said that trouble comes in threes. It looks like she was right. :ohwell:

Gingerberric: I’ve always let MFP set my calorie goals. At first it was a necessity. I needed guidance. MFP sets things so that you lose slowly, and that is a healthy way to go. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: This is a mild weather area and boating is possible year around. Sailing is pleasant from May through October most years. Sometimes March & April have a few nice days, too. :star:

Terri: I love “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…” :bigsmile:

Karen in VA: We do not have a fenced yard. We have roller-leashes at the front and back door. We clip our boy on a leash and he goes off the deck and does his business, which I clean up. Safe, easy, and a lot less expensive than a fence. I live in a townhouse community that has a perimeter fence with gates that are kept closed unless a person is coming in or going out. Inside the perimeter we don’t have individual fenced yards. :noway:

Barbie: Thank you for the recommendation for Pack of Two. I’ll look for it. :smiley:

Heather: I love reading about your travels. :bigsmile:

Michelle: I’ll need to get in to the doctor on Monday. I’m leaving in a few days after that to visit my grandchildren. Thanks for the encouraging reminder. :star:

RV Rita: Good news about your reduced digestive issues. :smiley:

I want to see my grandchildren, but I dread flying alone. I’ll be leaving Wednesday. I’m having to woman up and deal with it. DH will not go, and with good reasons. He could have gone in the RV earlier in the year but various medical issues got in the way of that trip.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Katla Sounds as if your dogs are happy & well-behaved! I bet they are lovely dogs. My comments about Lisa's situation was in reference to a Mama's Dog staying at Grandma & Grandpa's house for 2 days, pining & desperate for his beloved owner & thinking of nothing but escaping to get back to her if possible. A very different situation than a dog in his familiar home environment. Sorry if I was confusing. Edited to add: I like Heather's suggestion - imagine we are all on the plane with you, sitting in the seats surrounding you, getting our bags off the conveyor belt, etc. We're with you!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    How I've been drying my clothes for the past decade ... since I moved to Australia. :)

eryrbzsddwcz.png

I live in a trailer park and have lived in townhouses and it is against the rules to have laundry drying outside. It’s so stupid considering the climate issues that are so prevalent nowadays.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Heather thanks for sharing the web site.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    Happy Sunday ladies!

RVRita - we have used GoodRX for a few years now. Our doc's office recommended it. Big savings on most prescriptions and better than the insurance co-pays. Not sure how that works. The pharmacy still has to make some money off each prescription and I'd imagine GoodRX gets a percentage as well. :*

Clotheslines - when I was a kid in Northern Indiana, Mom hung the wash on the clothesline all seasons it seemed. During really cold weather she strung a clothesline in the living room where the oil heater was and that was it. I can remember peering around Dad's long-johns to watch TV. When we were in our teens she finally got a gas dryer. Our development bans clotheslines but folks still have them out of sight behind their houses.

Rebecca - I see you now have at least three recommendations to take the scenic route - Hwy 101 from Pt. Townsend to Olympia. :)

Yesterday DH lit the first fire of the autumn in the woodstove. We've decided the Trumpet Vine will go into his shop at night for the next couple nights. I can't get a light cover over everything without stressing the blooms - they like to open at night.

Been trying to get my new Keen Terradora waterproof shoes broken in. Not going well. They fit well in the store when I walked a few steps on their carpet. Now, after a couple tries on our road, the right one is too tight, even with the thinnest socks I have in my drawer.

Strange since with most of my shoes, the right one is always too loose - the orthotic in my left shoe takes up more space and in order to accommodate it I buy a half a size bigger than normal. This time, the opposite. Left shoe fits fine.

Not sure if the store will take them back since I've worn them. Just a little, but you can tell. They were spendy :( . I emailed Keen in Portland and will call them tomorrow. I really believe it's a defect in the right shoe, hope I can sell them on it.

DH wants pizza for supper so I'm being a good girl so far today. I can hold it to one piece with my big salad, it will be nice to have a change.

Have a fabulous rest of your day! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🐕🐈
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
  • barbiecat
    Hello ladies!
    My hip is finally good enough for me to go to the gym! I had to buy new earbuds, the old ones vanished. I did some rowing, some elliptical and some biking, and worked up a fine sweat. I'm sure it will be old hat again soon. But today I am thrilled!
    Annie in Delaware

:) Congratulations. I know you don't need me to remind you to work up gradually and don't do too much too soon.

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif