This September I Will....

123457»

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    9/17 NYYYYYNN-N
    9/18 NYYYYTNN-Y
    Gotta tighten up! Got swept up in a project!

9/19 NYNYYYYY-NO insomnia
    9/20 YYYYYYYN-Y

9/21 YYNYYNYN-N
    9/22 YNNYYYYY-Y

9/23 YYYYYYYY-Y
    9/24 YYNYNYNN-N

• cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,249 Member
    1. My goal for this month -- This September I will increase my walking miles from 3 miles an hour to 4 miles an hour.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I will walk 5 days a week w/my DH.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - Getting up at 4:00 to walk at 5:00 so we can pick up our Grandson and Grandpuppy at 7:00.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) 5 days a week...rest days Monday and Friday.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Jumping around doing a Happy Dance!
    6. What help do you need from us? I like @pennysob's answer...cheers!!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of September? That I'm getting back to the walking speed I was at before the pinched nerve in my back side-lined me for almost a year. I had spine surgery in June to fix it all. Recovery is slow.

09/01 - Rest Day...Did the Scottish Festival Sat., but wasn't ready for it. Egads! I hurt like crazy!
    09/02 - 3.02 miles in 1 hour. And it begins...
    09/03 - Rest Day...had to have a procedure done at the hospital. Everything worked out okay. :D
    09/04 - 3.00 miles in 1 hour...DH loves the cool, dark mornings...nopey, nope, not my favorite, but we got it done.
    09/05 - 2.78 miles in 59 mins.
    09/06 - Rest Day
    09/07 - 3.01 miles in 75 mins. Walked in a lot of sand today. Slows ya down some.
    09/08 - 3.30 miles in 65 mins. All on flat ground!
    09/09 - Rest Day
    09/10 - 3.00 miles in 60 mins.
    09/11 - 2.89 miles in 60 mins.
    09/12 - 3.00 miles in 60 mins.
    09/13 - Rest Day
    09/14 - 3.53 miles in 70 mins.
    09/15 - Rest Day
    09/16 - 3.18 miles in 60 mins.
    09/17 - 3.10 miles in 61 mins.
    09/18 - Rest Day
    09/19 - 3.13 miles in 59 mins
    09/20 - Rest Day
    09/21 - Sick...ugh!
    09/22 - 3.82 miles in 75 mins.
    09/23 - Rest Day
    09/24 - Sick...again...doctor solved it tho.
    09/25 - 3.05 miles in 60 mins.

Chris
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited September 2019
    9/16 - Mon. Very short yoga desk workout at work. Upper body resistant band work out. Again, very short. I just got the bands and am learning how to use them.
    9/17 - Tues. Lunges and Squats while walking the dog. A stretch routine later during the day.
    9/18 - Wed. Completed part (about 75%) of a workout video.
    9/19 - Thur. Very short band workout. Need to spend more time figuring out what to do. I was tired.
    9/20 - Fri. Short upper body video by Jessica Smith and a bit of a dance video by UptotheBeat.
    9/21 - Sat. Two short videos. Yoga and Tai chi.
    9/22 - Sun. Two short videos. Jessica Smith Barre workout and Tai chi.
    9/23 - Mon. Short Tai chi video and short resistance band video. It is amusing that my husband has joined me in doing both videos. I can't remember him ever doing something like this.

9/24 - A standing ab workout which I didn't like and won't repeat
    9/25 - Shoulder therapy, some basic core exercises and stretching.

It has been a rough couple of days but I have still fit in my extra workouts. I am enjoying adding them to my day and mixing them up.

Chris, hope you are feeling better.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    @cpanus, so sorry for the sick days. Sounds like you're on the mend!

@znaoiec, glad that you were able to fit in your extra workouts even though you had some difficult days. Well done!!

I will use o:) for lights out around 10:30ish P.M (or earlier of course). 11P.M. or later is definitely an❌.

September 1 o:)
    September 2 o:)
    September 3 o:)
    September 4 o:)
    September 5 o:)
    September 6 o:)
    September 7 o:)
    September 8 o:)
    September 9 o:)
    September 10 o:)
    September 11 o:)
    September 12 o:)
    September 13 o:)
    September 14 o:)
    September 15 o:)
    September 16 o:)
    September 17 o:)
    September 18 o:)
    September 19 o:) I'm counting it ok tonight. We had a very loud thunderstorm so I went to sleep later, but no alarm next morning and I actually slept in! We haven't had rain in quite a while, so this was welcome even if very loud and bright ☔⚡ at bed time. The electricity stayed on!
    September 20 ❌ I stayed up late to finish some things that I really needed for early next morning. It was a good thing that I did.
    September 21 o:) It was a fun day/ evening with my daughter and her roomie. We had a lovely day. It was a girls day so we left all the guys at their homes. I decided it was ok to go to sleep a bit later with a planned sleep-in the next morning.
    September 22 o:)
    September 23 o:)
    September 24 o:)

🤠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    9/17 NYYYYYNN-N
    9/18 NYYYYTNN-Y
    Gotta tighten up! Got swept up in a project!

9/19 NYNYYYYY-NO insomnia
    9/20 YYYYYYYN-Y

9/21 YYNYYNYN-N
    9/22 YNNYYYYY-Y

9/23 YYYYYYYY-Y
    9/24 YYNYNYNN-N

9/25 YYYYNYNN-N
  • cpanus
    Thank you, @znaoiec & @texasgardnr! It turns out that after 34 years on the same blood pressure medicine, it is too strong for me now! Doc reduced it by half. My pressure was very low when I went in to see him.

Chris
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,646 Member
    Hey, it's quiet out there!!! You're all doing so well :) Good for you @cpanus on getting your blood pressure down and being able to reduce your medication.

I'm so glad it's almost October. I have learned so much about myself this month or confirmed things I already knew. One thing I know is that I do great when life is running along like clockwork and I get to stay in my little corner of the world. But make me go out of routine for a few days and I may never get back into it.

I was so diligent the first 3 weeks of Sept about logging my food and getting steps in every hour until I spent a couple days at my daughter's two weeks in a row. It's so much easier to say I'm too busy to log when I really just want to eat things I really don't want to eat and do it anyway. It's so much more comfortable to stay sitting for an hour and a half and watch that Netflix movie instead of pausing it so I can get up and walk around awhile, or be able to sit and sew without stopping to take a little walk every hour. It's all about comfort. So 21 days does not make a habit stick. Or maybe I quit one day too soon to really know for sure (LOL!).
    It's all about choices. Do I want comfort or do I want to reach my goal? Does my end goal feel so unreachable that I really don't commit? Am I more committed to wanting to achieving it than working to achieve it?

Many times when I didn't want to get up and walk or wanted to eat something but not log it I would ask myself "Is what I am doing right now getting me closer to achieving my goal"? It got me off the chair so many times. Until the routine was broken. So, I need to figure out how you all keep yourself going in spite of obstacles so I can get closer every day. AND the goal I'm pursuing must be very clear in my mind and progress must be measurable. If you believe it, you can achieve it. Sometimes believing is the hardest part.

Now let's rock the rest of September!
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,543 Member
    edited September 2019
    @nebslp I know exactly what you mean - and I think the thing that we need to keep pushing through when out of our routine is DETERMINATION. We have to be determined to keep making good choices. We have to be accountable to ourselves. As to how to "get" determination? That one I'm still working on!!

I had some ups and downs this month, but overall I'm calling it a success. I have done more exercise this month than I probably did all of last year put together! So that's a win in my eyes, though something I do want to keep working on.

Now, to start thinking about what I want to achieve in October...

✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿✿
    This September, I will exercise for 20 minutes at least three days per week.
    I will be following the BodyBoss Ultimate Fitness guide along with my sister so we can keep each other motivated. This guide provides for five workouts a week, but in the interest of self-care (i.e. not beating myself up and quitting at the first mini-failure) I will be aiming to complete three of those - if I do any extra then that's just a bonus!
    I will set aside time each afternoon after work to complete the workouts. I foresee some issues where I have appointments booked after work, so on these days or days where my baby needs me more, I will complete the workout later in the evening.
    Each day that I complete 20 minutes of exercise, I will place a special sticker into my planner to mark it.
    At the end of the month, I will have completed the pre-training for the BodyBoss fitness plan, and I will reward myself by booking myself in for either a massage or a haircut.

Week 1 (2-8 Sept): ✅
    2/9 -
    3/9 :) (Body Boss PTW1D1)
    4/9 -
    5/9 :) (Body Boss PTW1D3)
    6/9 -
    7/9 :) (5km walk with pram at parkrun)
    8/9 -

Week 2 (9-15 Sept): :s
    9/9 -
    10/9 -
    11/9 -
    12/9 -
    13/9 -
    14/9 -
    15/9 -

Week 3 (16-22 Sept): :neutral:
    16/9 -
    17/9 -
    18/9 -
    19/9 -
    20/9 -
    21/9 :) (5km walk at parkrun - time: 59:40)
    22/9 :) (20 min dance workout video)

Week 4 (23-29 Sept): ✅
    23/9 :) (step aerobic workout video)
    24/9 -
    25/9 -
    26/9 -
    27/9 -
    28/9 :) (HIIT workout)
    29/9 :) (light weights)
  • texasgardnr
    edited September 2019
    @cpanus, how wonderful for you that it turned out that you now need only half the dosage of your B/P med! I hope that you are feeling much better now! Happy for you 😄💐 .

@MadisonMolly2017, awesome tracking! Looking good 👌😀 .

@nebslp, very insightful post! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I also have difficulties with the breaking of any of my routines, especially my newer ones. by outside circumstances. It does make things more difficult to keep going in the desired directions. However, sometimes I have found that it can even be helpful when I can think outside the box and reevaluate at that time.

Also, in line with what you wrote, I have another major routine breaker, or possibly even two, that will come within the next 2-4 months. After reading your post I've started to think specifically about how I can adjust without losing ground, and how I can somehow prepare in the time beforehand to be able to maintain, in different ways, some particular habits, in what will definitely be a very fluid, not in my control very much, environment for a while 🙃.

@TwistedSassette, well done that you are calling this month a success!!! What a brilliant beginning to your forming new and healthy habits with us 😄👍🌸.

@themedalist, thinking about you and your family, and praying for you all. Hugs and love 🤗💖🌷 .

I will use o:) for lights out around 10:30ish P.M (or earlier of course). 11P.M. or later is definitely an❌.

September 19 o:) I'm counting it ok tonight. We had a very loud thunderstorm so I went to sleep later, but no alarm next morning and I actually slept in! We haven't had rain in quite a while, so this was welcome even if very loud and bright ☔⚡ at bed time. The electricity stayed on!
    September 20 ❌ I stayed up late to finish some things that I really needed for early next morning. It was a good thing that I did.
    September 21 o:) It was a fun day/ evening with my daughter and her roomie. We had a lovely day. It was a girls day so we left all the guys at their homes. I decided it was ok to go to sleep a bit later with a planned sleep-in the next morning.
    September 24 o:) (a little bit later night planned)
    September 25 o:)
    September 26 o:)
    September 27 o:)
    September 28 ❌❌ I ended up caving in to just staying up and goofing off and also hanging out with my husband some as he binged on a tv program that we both have watched before and enjoy. We both had decided on a sleep-in morning, but the payoff of sleeping in definitely did not make up for my going to sleep after midnight. I have not felt this bleary eyed in the morning, and tired in the afternoon for several weeks now. My husband is so good usually about going to sleep on time that it was rough for him also. Apparently I am beginning to see some good results from going to sleep earlier, especially when it so obviously negatively affected me when I didn't 🤦‍♀️ .

🤠🌺
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,732 Member
    I’m basking in my success. The Flylady system has really helped me make my housekeeping chores more routine. It so fits with Building Better Habits. 😊 My husband is noticing the improvement, and one of the reasons I wanted to get a better handle on the housework so that he can take it a bit easier.

9/23 Monday - Zone 4 is bedroom. I came to the realization that my top dresser drawers are filled with stuff I never use, and the things I use daily clutter the top of the dresser, so I organized jewelry in one top drawer.
    9/24 Tuesday - I got my car washed. Keeping the car clean is also part of the system.
    9/25 Wednesday- I cleaned behind the antique trunk that I use as a nightstand- it hadn’t been moved and for years. So that was a big win.
    9/26 Thursday- I washed the bedroom windows (another chore I haven’t done in years). I also washed and rehung the bedroom curtains.
    9/27 Friday- I worked on my dresser, even going so far as to actually polish it. I finished organizing and decluttering one top dresser drawer.
    9/28 Saturday- Lots of cooking for daughter’s birthday, but I still did my routines and a bit of decluttering in the bedroom.
    9/29 Sunday - Again, since it is Sunday I did just morning and evening routines, but again I didn’t get to all my prep for the morning because I went out dancing. The ball is next Saturday and I’ll be ready!💃
    9/30 Monday- Last day of the month. I did my dog day (bathe dogs, wash their beds and vacuum). This week combines Zone 5 and 1. Since most of my work was in those rooms, it worked out well).

I think I’ll go through the baby steps again in October just to nail them down and get my control journal more complete and working for me.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,543 Member
    Well done @77tes! I desperately need to get control over the clutter & mess in my house. You're an inspiration!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    nebslp wrote: »
    Hey, it's quiet out there!!! You're all doing so well :) Good for you @cpanus on getting your blood pressure down and being able to reduce your medication.

I'm so glad it's almost October. I have learned so much about myself this month or confirmed things I already knew. One thing I know is that I do great when life is running along like clockwork and I get to stay in my little corner of the world. But make me go out of routine for a few days and I may never get back into it.

I was so diligent the first 3 weeks of Sept about logging my food and getting steps in every hour until I spent a couple days at my daughter's two weeks in a row. It's so much easier to say I'm too busy to log when I really just want to eat things I really don't want to eat and do it anyway. It's so much more comfortable to stay sitting for an hour and a half and watch that Netflix movie instead of pausing it so I can get up and walk around awhile, or be able to sit and sew without stopping to take a little walk every hour. It's all about comfort. So 21 days does not make a habit stick. Or maybe I quit one day too soon to really know for sure (LOL!).
    It's all about choices. Do I want comfort or do I want to reach my goal? Does my end goal feel so unreachable that I really don't commit? Am I more committed to wanting to achieving it than working to achieve it?

Many times when I didn't want to get up and walk or wanted to eat something but not log it I would ask myself "Is what I am doing right now getting me closer to achieving my goal"? It got me off the chair so many times. Until the routine was broken. So, I need to figure out how you all keep yourself going in spite of obstacles so I can get closer every day. AND the goal I'm pursuing must be very clear in my mind and progress must be measurable. If you believe it, you can achieve it. Sometimes believing is the hardest part.

Now let's rock the rest of September!

@nebslp
    This is a very insightful post.

For me, I think having a compelling “Big Why” that reminds me why I want to fight to maintain & be healthy (exercise/sleep/reduced stress) is key.

I was extremely sick prior to my kidney Txplant. I experienced what old age would be like - even 37 lbs down, I had little energy, leg cramps every night. Unable to travel or do much of anything.

I’ve gotten a second chance.

My Big Why: To do everything I can to maximize the ACTIVE time I can spend with my family. This Big Why reminds me of how I was missing out before. Now, I hike with them!

Energy is Life.

With regular exercise & 75 fewer pounds of excess weight, my energy is helping me LIVE more fully.

It’s worth fighting for.
  • znaoiec
    edited October 2019
    9/16 - Mon. Very short yoga desk workout at work. Upper body resistant band work out. Again, very short. I just got the bands and am learning how to use them.
    9/17 - Tues. Lunges and Squats while walking the dog. A stretch routine later during the day.
    9/18 - Wed. Completed part (about 75%) of a workout video.
    9/19 - Thur. Very short band workout. Need to spend more time figuring out what to do. I was tired.
    9/20 - Fri. Short upper body video by Jessica Smith and a bit of a dance video by UptotheBeat.
    9/21 - Sat. Two short videos. Yoga and Tai chi.
    9/22 - Sun. Two short videos. Jessica Smith Barre workout and Tai chi.
    9/23 - Mon. Short Tai chi video and short resistance band video. It is amusing that my husband has joined me in doing both videos. I can't remember him ever doing something like this.
    9/24 - A standing ab workout which I didn't like and won't repeat
    9/25 - Shoulder therapy, some basic core exercises and stretching.

9/26- Workout with weights
    9/27- Should therapy, Knee exercises, and general workout video
    9/28- Tai Chi at work event; Injured
    9/29 - Injured & Recovery Day
    9/30 - Injured & Recovery Day

I am late in posting this. We had a work event on Saturday which kept me busy leading up to it. Part of the focus was health and wellness. I unfortunately woke up that morning unable to move for about twenty minutes having done something to one of my muscles the prior day. By mid day I was feeling better and stupidly participated in a Tai Chi class. My muscles froze up on me again and have been not happy since then. I have spent the past couple of days in recovery.
  • znaoiec
    edited October 2019
    @nebslp Good post. I am pretty good with routine until it is broken. I get so frustrated with myself that I can't seem to carry these things with me.

@MadisonMolly2017 Also a great and insightful post. I need to reflect on my Big Why.

Awesome job everyone! I can't wait to make progress in October.
  • nebslp
    I am so inspired by ALL of you! I’m getting great ideas on sleep, decluttering, and working out, and daily habits. Seeing how you follow through to reach your goals confirms that it is possible when you’re committed. Thank you everyone for your encouragement through words or actions.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,732 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 , I love the idea of having a big why! I do have a big why, and when I get my thoughts collected, I’ll share it here. Yours is so beautiful and inspiring.

@nebslp, progress, not perfection (it’s one of the Flylady mantras). Concentrate of the victory you had those first three weeks of the month and brainstorm how you can have an alternate plan for dealing with things when your routines are disrupted. I get it - sometimes I get sick of being “good,” too. I think I’m like a tired toddler throwing a tantrum because she doesn’t want to go to bed - the thing that will fix the problem. Believing is the hardest part! If you believe enough, you take the step. Is there some reason why being active and logging are not appealing? Can you find the switch? For me, meeting my sister for workouts made activity appealing. Hugs. You are doing great! Three stellar weeks are not lost to one off week. I tell my students that starting the semester with regular class attendance and good grades are like having money in the bank. If they get sick or have an emergency, they have that reserve. It’s rather same with healthy habits.

@znaoiec , I’m so sorry you hurt yourself. It must be bad if tai chi made it worse. Clearly you need to be careful to not overdo. I hope you are better soon. ❤️

@TwistedSassette , you are doing great. Do check out the Flylady website. Even if you just take away some ideas, it might help you. To me the most magical parts are having a morning and evening routine and decluttering for 15 minutes a day instead of trying to do a whole day of decluttering.
  • cpanus
    1. My goal for this month -- This September I will increase my walking miles from 3 miles an hour to 4 miles an hour.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I will walk 5 days a week w/my DH.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - Getting up at 4:00 to walk at 5:00 so we can pick up our Grandson and Grandpuppy at 7:00.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) 5 days a week...rest days Monday and Friday.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Jumping around doing a Happy Dance!
    6. What help do you need from us? I like @pennysob's answer...cheers!!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of September? That I'm getting back to the walking speed I was at before the pinched nerve in my back side-lined me for almost a year. I had spine surgery in June to fix it all. Recovery is slow.

09/01 - Rest Day...Did the Scottish Festival Sat., but wasn't ready for it. Egads! I hurt like crazy!
    09/02 - 3.02 miles in 1 hour. And it begins...
    09/03 - Rest Day...had to have a procedure done at the hospital. Everything worked out okay. :D
    09/04 - 3.00 miles in 1 hour...DH loves the cool, dark mornings...nopey, nope, not my favorite, but we got it done.
    09/05 - 2.78 miles in 59 mins.
    09/06 - Rest Day
    09/07 - 3.01 miles in 75 mins. Walked in a lot of sand today. Slows ya down some.
    09/08 - 3.30 miles in 65 mins. All on flat ground!
    09/09 - Rest Day
    09/10 - 3.00 miles in 60 mins.
    09/11 - 2.89 miles in 60 mins.
    09/12 - 3.00 miles in 60 mins.
    09/13 - Rest Day
    09/14 - 3.53 miles in 70 mins.
    09/15 - Rest Day
    09/16 - 3.18 miles in 60 mins.
    09/17 - 3.10 miles in 61 mins.
    09/18 - Rest Day
    09/19 - 3.13 miles in 59 mins
    09/20 - Rest Day
    09/21 - Sick...ugh!
    09/22 - 3.82 miles in 75 mins.
    09/23 - Rest Day
    09/24 - Sick...again...doctor solved it tho.
    09/25 - 3.05 miles in 60 mins.
    09/26 - 3.05 miles in 58 mins w/DH and 1.69 miles in 35 mins w/DDD
    09/27 - Rest Day
    09/28 - 4.15 miles in 87 mins.
    09/29 - 4.01 miles in 83 mins.
    09/30 - Rest Day.

Chris
  • texasgardnr

September 19 o:)
    September 20 ❌
    September 21 o:)
    September 24 o:)
    September 25 o:)
    September 26 o:)
    September 27 o:)
    September 28 ❌❌
    September 29 ❌
    September 30 o:)

I certainly could tell a huge difference in my next day after red getting a❌ (or two 😩) the night before.

🤠🌺
  • texasgardnr
    @znaoiec, Oh, my, you are/ were in a bad way if even a Tai Chi class hurt you more! Get well wishes sent your way 💐.

@cpanus, well done working on increasing your walking speed/ miles during September 🏃‍♀️ !

@nebslp, I heartily agree with @77teswhen she wrote: Three stellar weeks are not lost to one off week.. It just doesn't work that way! You are rocking your plans and projects. And you are such an inspiration and encouragement to others.

@MadisonMolly2017, Your post about your personal “Big Why” is so inspirational as well as thought provoking. I will also have to think about mine... beyond what is perhaps my either vague and/ or generic reasons to keep all of this up and pressing on. Thank you for posting 🌺.

@77tes, you are doing super amazing with your FlyLady routines!! Ya just gotta love her plan 😀 because it works!
    I'm so happy to finally have a fellow FlyBaby flying around 😁! I have missed the encouragement and camaraderie so much ever since the forum closed down years ago 😩😢. I need to get back in full swing with the system again. I go in and out of following the routines more or less closely.

In the very early years of FlyLady's plan becoming eventually what it is now, Marla would come up with a new motto that would more or less rhyme with the ending of the last digit of the upcoming year. "Progress not Perfection" is the only one that stuck with me beyond that particular year it was used for, or that I have used ever since when I am working at something.

@TwistedSassette, yes you are doing awesome!! You go girl 🌹 .

🤠🌺
  • nebslp
    I just have to say "ditto" to what @texasgardnr said about all of you. Amazing people, all of you!! Thank you for the encouragement. I had to laugh at @77tes comment about being like a tired toddler not wanting to go to bed. Very true. Sometimes that's it. I just DON'T WANT TO DO IT!!! Silly, I know. and definitely not productive at all. I will remember to visualize myself on the floor with my legs in the air and fists pounding the floor next time "I don't want to do it" comes up :D I've checked out FlyLady and I'm not ready to go all in yet, but I liked the October challenge and the way it broke down every area. Much needed here.
    @MadisonMolly2017 Good thoughts about knowing your why. I am glad you were given that second chance and choose to share your wisdom with this group.
    @themedalist Once again, thank you for creating this great place to hang out and connect with some pretty awesome people.
    Moving on to October...