Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Underrated foods?

11617192122

Replies

  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 7,509 Member Member Posts: 7,509 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    andybing11 wrote: »
    Ahi tuna pan seared rare to mid rare extra extra blackening topped with salsa. From a health stand point it is a powerhouse of lean protein. Eat it every night.

    Next time you are getting blood tests at the GP, ask to be tested for mercury levels. If they ask why, tell them you eat tuna every day.

    Nothing lots of cilantro coupled with organic Chlorella and Spirulina wouldn't take care of. Cilantro to get it moving around and the algae for chelation.

    Back to topic -- cilantro is very underrated. I use it in Mexican, Thai and Mediterranean cooking.

    Very interesting (regarding the cilantro and chlorella) that one can help mitigate mercury levels with these things. Another reason to eat a varied diet!
  • MeganD1704MeganD1704 Member Posts: 604 Member Member Posts: 604 Member
    To earlier poster, our kids gave us a fancy raclette grill for Christmas when we visited them in Germany. We had to haul the damned thing home in our suitcase. It had a solid stone grill and made our bag overweight, but they were so happy to share this “tradition” with us. Well, she’s American, he’s Russian, and turns out neither of them knew how to make raclette, either. We don’t know how or what to use it for, and have to order a converter anyway. Think, folks, THINK before you gift!!!

    Anyway back to underrated foods, hubs bought six boxes of lemon jello instead of pudding by mistake. I loath jello but got tired of looking at them and made some.

    Well, hello, Jello!!!!! Look what I’ve been missing. And it’s ten calories a serving?!

    My grandparents are raclette fans- they have 6.
    They use it for appetizer style dinners and wine. I think its a great idea for people who are keto or okay with bread.
    My grandma cuts up small pieces of chicken and beef (steak) and seasons/sauces them. You "grill" them on top and put bread and cheese to melt in the little tray thing. She also does marinated fresh veggies.

    It honestly seemed good for appetizer style dinners, but not if there's more then 3-4 people at one "station/grill".

    Back to topic-
    Spaghetti Squash- its just so versatile assuming i have a knife sharp enough to cut one open haha.

  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 16,760 Member Member, Premium Posts: 16,760 Member
    MeganD1704 wrote: »
    To earlier poster, our kids gave us a fancy raclette grill for Christmas when we visited them in Germany. We had to haul the damned thing home in our suitcase. It had a solid stone grill and made our bag overweight, but they were so happy to share this “tradition” with us. Well, she’s American, he’s Russian, and turns out neither of them knew how to make raclette, either. We don’t know how or what to use it for, and have to order a converter anyway. Think, folks, THINK before you gift!!!

    Anyway back to underrated foods, hubs bought six boxes of lemon jello instead of pudding by mistake. I loath jello but got tired of looking at them and made some.

    Well, hello, Jello!!!!! Look what I’ve been missing. And it’s ten calories a serving?!

    My grandparents are raclette fans- they have 6.
    They use it for appetizer style dinners and wine. I think its a great idea for people who are keto or okay with bread.
    My grandma cuts up small pieces of chicken and beef (steak) and seasons/sauces them. You "grill" them on top and put bread and cheese to melt in the little tray thing. She also does marinated fresh veggies.

    It honestly seemed good for appetizer style dinners, but not if there's more then 3-4 people at one "station/grill".

    Back to topic-
    Spaghetti Squash- its just so versatile assuming i have a knife sharp enough to cut one open haha.

    Heavy cleaver with a broad back edge, rubberized dead-blow hammer. Make sure you work enough of a tiny groove to start so the blade won't slip. The worst squashes (some are way harder than spaghetti squash) yield in a couple of blows on opposite sides.
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,021 Member Member Posts: 1,021 Member
    seed butters- tahini, pumpkin, hemp
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,447 Member Member Posts: 4,447 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    seed butters- tahini, pumpkin, hemp

    Adding to this... Pumpkin OIL is amazing.

    This is what I've been using: https://www.ullisoilmill.com/collections/oils/products/organic-cold-pressed-pumpkin-seed-oil
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,447 Member Member Posts: 4,447 Member
    4htodczx2sky.png
    apricot marmalade / preserves
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,021 Member Member Posts: 1,021 Member
    4htodczx2sky.png
    apricot marmalade / preserves

    Agree, and orange
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,447 Member Member Posts: 4,447 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    4htodczx2sky.png
    apricot marmalade / preserves

    Agree, and orange

    @VegjoyP I love how orange marmalade has little bits of the orange peel haha
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Member Posts: 5,665 Member Member Posts: 5,665 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    4htodczx2sky.png
    apricot marmalade / preserves

    Agree, and orange

    Yes totally agree! My aunt used to make me apricot jam toast as a kid. Still my favorite type of jam/jelly for plain toast.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,447 Member Member Posts: 4,447 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    4htodczx2sky.png
    apricot marmalade / preserves

    Agree, and orange

    Yes totally agree! My aunt used to make me apricot jam toast as a kid. Still my favorite type of jam/jelly for plain toast.

    LOVE with a little butter.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,447 Member Member Posts: 4,447 Member
    probably said this before, but I think pistachio is underrated and under represented in larger food companies
  • TINHIETINHIE Member Posts: 12 Member Member Posts: 12 Member
    Pumpernickel bread is seriously underrated.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,447 Member Member Posts: 4,447 Member
    TINHIE wrote: »
    Pumpernickel bread is seriously underrated.

    clij9tcxj616.png
    so good!
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Member Posts: 5,665 Member Member Posts: 5,665 Member
    TINHIE wrote: »
    Pumpernickel bread is seriously underrated.

    Agreed! My favorite. So sad tumaros discontinued the pumpernickel and rye wraps :(
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 1,970 Member Member Posts: 1,970 Member
    TINHIE wrote: »
    Pumpernickel bread is seriously underrated.

    Agreed! My favorite. So sad tumaros discontinued the pumpernickel and rye wraps :(

    My Grandparents were all German and ate a lot of this stuff growing up. I'm celiac and there are a few things that just don't exist for us and one is rye bread of any form. I do miss it. I miss a swirled rye with corned beef and swiss cheese. Man. There's one brand that kind of tastes like rye (but not really).
    edited September 24
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,447 Member Member Posts: 4,447 Member
    bns0x1n6465z.png
    + swiss cheese spread!
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Member Posts: 5,665 Member Member Posts: 5,665 Member
    TINHIE wrote: »
    Pumpernickel bread is seriously underrated.

    Agreed! My favorite. So sad tumaros discontinued the pumpernickel and rye wraps :(

    My Grandparents were all German and ate a lot of this stuff growing up. I'm celiac and there are a few things that just don't exist for us and one is rye bread of any form. I do miss it. I miss a swirled rye with corned beef and swiss cheese. Man. There's one brand that kind of tastes like rye (but not really).

    Thought I'd share this with you because I know you are GF. Free testing kit. https://online.nourishedfestival.com/offer/giveaway/48

    This is from a GF expo. Usually it is in person, but it is online this year. If you click on each company they have discounts and sweepstakes. Only lasts until sept 26.
    bns0x1n6465z.png
    + swiss cheese spread!

    I used to just pick the rye chips out of chex mix and eat them. Then I discovered they made bags of only the rye pieces! I could go for a bag now.
    edited September 25
  • Diatonic12Diatonic12 Member Posts: 7,977 Member Member Posts: 7,977 Member
    Jalapeno Cream Cheese

    b7hlswni9fxn.png

    When I'm really hungry right before bedtime, I take a teaspoon. A little dab 'll do ya.
  • ehju0901ehju0901 Member Posts: 70 Member Member Posts: 70 Member
    livilively wrote: »
    I'll add sauerkraut, too!

    Absolutely! I make a mean sauerkraut hotdish that even people that don't like sauerkraut have loved. I should try finding a way to make it diet friendly...hmmm...
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,447 Member Member Posts: 4,447 Member
    TINHIE wrote: »
    Pumpernickel bread is seriously underrated.

    Agreed! My favorite. So sad tumaros discontinued the pumpernickel and rye wraps :(

    My Grandparents were all German and ate a lot of this stuff growing up. I'm celiac and there are a few things that just don't exist for us and one is rye bread of any form. I do miss it. I miss a swirled rye with corned beef and swiss cheese. Man. There's one brand that kind of tastes like rye (but not really).

    Thought I'd share this with you because I know you are GF. Free testing kit. https://online.nourishedfestival.com/offer/giveaway/48

    This is from a GF expo. Usually it is in person, but it is online this year. If you click on each company they have discounts and sweepstakes. Only lasts until sept 26.
    bns0x1n6465z.png
    + swiss cheese spread!

    I used to just pick the rye chips out of chex mix and eat them. Then I discovered they made bags of only the rye pieces! I could go for a bag now.

    and gardettos!
Sign In or Register to comment.