Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Underrated foods?

Replies

• pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member, Premium Posts: 5,702 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5,702 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    And any fermented food. Natto does not apply here. That should be abolished.

kimchi-recipe.jpg

bumping this
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 8,860 Member Member Posts: 8,860 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    And any fermented food. Natto does not apply here. That should be abolished.

kimchi-recipe.jpg

SO agree...love it all - however, I haven't ventured into the Natto thing yet. I'm sort of like @AnnPT77 in that I'm not sure if I want to bring home an entire package of the stuff.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member, Premium Posts: 5,702 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5,702 Member
    EXTRA extra EXTRA aged cheddar cheese
  • amorfati601070amorfati601070 Member Posts: 2,233 Member Member Posts: 2,233 Member
    Pulse pasta, chickpea tastes the best.
    random, but brazil nuts. They deserve more love
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 18,791 Member Member, Premium Posts: 18,791 Member
    random, but brazil nuts. They deserve more love

Gotta be careful, though: Can literally OD on selenium, which has a surprisingly narrow range of safe intake. I love brazil nuts. I don't eat as many as I'd like.

According to those notorious conspiracy theorists (😉) at the USDA, "Brazil nuts contain very high amounts of selenium (68–91 mcg per nut) and could cause selenium toxicity if consumed regularly."

Details here:
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-HealthProfessional/

USDA says tolerable upper limit of 400mcg for selenium.
  • ExpressoLove11ExpressoLove11 Member Posts: 161 Member Member Posts: 161 Member
    Beetroot.
    Aubergine (eggplant).
    Bananas.

Could eat all 3 of these things daily and be happy!
    Beetroot.
    Aubergine (eggplant).
    Bananas.

Could eat all 3 of these things daily and be happy!

I hate all 3! lol
  • suzij27suzij27 Member Posts: 123 Member Member Posts: 123 Member
    Chickpeas. They have become a go to that I rarely ate prior to my husband wanting to eat plant based about 6 months ago. (He gave up after 2-3 weeks, but some of the dishes have become my go-tos.)
    Shredded cabbage added to stir frys. Add volume and texture for not too many calories.
    The frozen Salmon burgers from Costco (Trident brand). I eat one 3-4x per week with Cajun spices on it. I could eat it daily. High in protein and sooooo yummy.
    Colored bell peppers. I eat them raw, sautéed, roasted. Yum! Not a newer find for me.
    stone ground mustard
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,365 Member Member Posts: 1,365 Member
    Buckwheat groats and carob
    edited December 2020
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Buckwheat groats and carob

yes to carob!
  • mydogisthebestdogevermydogisthebestdogever Member Posts: 669 Member Member Posts: 669 Member
    Fried bologna sandwich
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Member Posts: 6,294 Member Member Posts: 6,294 Member
    Fried bologna sandwich

Reminds me of my favorite as a kid, fried salami sandwiches! I would either add lots of hot sauce or lots of mustard. 3l1xjysv2yac.png

szig389eu1ze.png
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,365 Member Member Posts: 1,365 Member
    Oatmeal and Oatmeal cookies

agreed! Especially with raisins

ok...however the raisins HAVE to be those little black Californian...no plump golden ones allowed!

PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

ok...however the raisins HAVE to be those little black Californian...no plump golden ones allowed!

z706fx39h300.png
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

z706fx39h300.png

doable..but this cookie needs some more love in the oven to crisp the heck out of them (gosh...I'm entirely too involved in this...🙄)