Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Feature Request: Support for Intermittent Fasting!

DavidChilcottDavidChilcott Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
Please add support for intermittent fasting to the application. I have been fasting twice each week for close to 18 months now and it’s quite annoying not to be able to track it in MyFitnessPal.

It is a trivial fix/addition. A “Fasting” checkbox on the daily food diary page would do it!

Replies

• RAinWARAinWA Posts: 1,568Member Member Posts: 1,568Member Member
    Why can't you track it? Wouldn't days you don't have any food logged be fasting days? Or you could use the notes section to indicate you were fasting that day? If you are worried about losing your streak, you just have to log in to MFP each day, you don't have to log anything.
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Posts: 9,592Member Member Posts: 9,592Member Member
    It's already supported. All you have to do is not end your day. Everything will still be recorded, you just won't be posting your finished diary to your feed.
  • MikePTYMikePTY Posts: 2,985Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,985Member, Premium Member
    They're not gonna do this. Nor should they.
  • LyndaBSSLyndaBSS Posts: 5,083Member, Premium Member Posts: 5,083Member, Premium Member
    You're able to enter intermittent fasting into your food diary, the same way you would enter a food. Not sure if you knew this.
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 13,787Member Member Posts: 13,787Member Member
    In an effort to not support folks with eating disorders (by auto posting a congrats message on their newsfeed that they came in under goal when they have dangerously under eaten, and predicting a dangerously low future weight) this is likely not going to happen.

Luckily, closing your diary does absolutely nothing of importance. Your logging streak comes just from logging onto the app, the Pop Up box weight loss prediction would be innacurate (as it requires you to do the same thing every day in order to have any chance of being correct, and by definition a fasting day would mess that up), and if announcing your success is important to you, you can just type a message in your newsfeed that you fasted successfully.

I haven't closed my diary for years and it hasn't hindered me from losing weight or successfully maintaining :smile:
  • snapshotstacysnapshotstacy Posts: 18Member, Premium Member Posts: 18Member, Premium Member
    I use the entry "Fast - Intentional Fasting" (3 cups! lol)
    Granted, if you're doing a 5:2 or a 24 hour fast or some such, I suggest not closing your diary that day.... but I do a 17:7 & it works great.
  • MikePTYMikePTY Posts: 2,985Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,985Member, Premium Member
    I use the entry "Fast - Intentional Fasting" (3 cups! lol)
    Granted, if you're doing a 5:2 or a 24 hour fast or some such, I suggest not closing your diary that day.... but I do a 17:7 & it works great.

If you do 17:7, why do you need to enter fake entries? You should be consuming the same amount of calories in those 7 hours as a normal person targeting your rate of loss does in a day.
  • snapshotstacysnapshotstacy Posts: 18Member, Premium Member Posts: 18Member, Premium Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    If you do 17:7, why do you need to enter fake entries? You should be consuming the same amount of calories in those 7 hours as a normal person targeting your rate of loss does in a day.

Because I like tracking it. It's not a fake entry, it's just more information for myself. :)
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Posts: 36,703Member Member Posts: 36,703Member Member
    Please add support for intermittent fasting to the application. I have been fasting twice each week for close to 18 months now and it’s quite annoying not to be able to track it in MyFitnessPal.

It is a trivial fix/addition. A “Fasting” checkbox on the daily food diary page would do it!

It would be an easy enough fix, but it'll never happen because the myriad of people with eating disorders on here who get off on seeing very low calorie numbers, but are bugged by seeing the red would just click the fasting button every single day.
  • fitmom4lifemfpfitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,558Member Member Posts: 1,558Member Member
    Why does one need to track NOT eating?