Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Any overcoming mental health illnesses success stories?

13»

Replies

• CourierSixxCourierSixx Posts: 49Member, Premium Member Posts: 49Member, Premium Member
    try2again wrote: »
    I like seeing posts like this where mental health needs are acknowledged and their role in our overall health and fitness are addressed. :)

A close family member has recently been diagnosed with anxiety and social issues. I wonder if any of you would be willing to share how, specifically, therapy benefited you and what, if any, impact age had on your ability to address your issues? (Do you have to have a certain level of maturity to benefit from therapy?) Thank you in advance if any are willing to share. :)

I just wrote a novel about this, it is above.
  • CourierSixxCourierSixx Posts: 49Member, Premium Member Posts: 49Member, Premium Member
    huddleup wrote: »
    Reading all of these posts touched me. I do realize I'm not alone in this, but mental health issues still have such a stigma attached to them. I was diagnosed with bi-polar about 23 years ago. It started in my teens and went undiagnosed until I was 30, even after seeing many therapists. I agree with others, finding the right therapist is essential.

Life was hard for me and everyone around me before I was diagnosed. I went from suicidal depression to fits of rage to bouncing off the walls in happiness. After seeing a doctor that recognized what was going on, I was able to get on medication. It has made a world of difference. I'm at a even keel now. The only downfall is I don't have a range of emotions. I don't feel happy or sad in any extreme. I miss the happy times. Now when I should be really happy I just feel a sense of Joy, but it beats dealing with uncontrollable emotions. My creativity and spontaneity is also gone. It is something I have to work on with focus. But again it is worth it.

I don't do therapy now. I rely a lot on my faith and those around me that understand and encourage me. If I didn't have Jesus Christ in my life, even with the medication, I would be a lost cause. He's my strength.

I pray that someone is as encouraged by my words and I have been by others.

I bipolar as well. I hate the meds. I take them but I hate them. All the ones for bipolar have the worse side effects, don't they? Ugh!!!!
  • 1234Yuki1234Yuki Posts: 18Member Member Posts: 18Member Member
    I am so inspired by how brave everyone is who is coping with their mental illnesses. Each and everyone that has posted is a warrior!!! So proud of all of you!!! 💪💪💪💝💝💝 thank you everyone who has shared!!!
    edited September 18
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,028Member Member Posts: 4,028Member Member
    1234Yuki wrote: »
    I am so inspired by how brave everyone is who is coping with their mental illnesses. Each and everyone that has posted is a warrior!!! So proud of all of you!!! 💪💪💪💝💝💝 thank you everyone who has shared!!!

I agree 100%!
  • YukiChan7YukiChan7 Posts: 9Member Member Posts: 9Member Member
    I have anxiety too. It’s controlling of my life, overwhelming despite medication. Someone told me today to accept it as a feeling, so I am trying that. It’s a feeling. Okay. I can’t move. This feeling has me pinned to my bed. I am going to get up with it and keep breathing. It’s like carrying a monster in my arms. I’m going to take this shadowy monster and go do yoga with it. I can do this.

I can completely understand that. I’m so truly sorry for your struggle. I am so proud of you though for pushing through! You’ve got this!
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,108Member Member Posts: 3,108Member Member
    try2again wrote: »
    I like seeing posts like this where mental health needs are acknowledged and their role in our overall health and fitness are addressed. :)

A close family member has recently been diagnosed with anxiety and social issues. I wonder if any of you would be willing to share how, specifically, therapy benefited you and what, if any, impact age had on your ability to address your issues? (Do you have to have a certain level of maturity to benefit from therapy?) Thank you in advance if any are willing to share. :)

I thought I had posted in this thread but apparently not! As I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I have treatment resistant depression. I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression when I was 15 but should have been diagnosed when I was 10. I've been in therapy off and on (mainly on) since I was 15 and I attribute it with my ability to be as functional as I am. Meds and exercise do nothing in terms of my symptoms. That doesn't mean that I don't do a lot of exercise (I row 4-5 days a week and ride my bike 3 days a week), but it doesn't change the fact that I have severe depression that includes quite a bit of suicidal ideation. I do think that without therapy, there's no way that I'd be able to row, ride my bike, or do much of anything.

I think age can play a role in what type of therapy (very broadly) is appropriate, but I don't think that that young people (however you define that) can't get anything out of therapy. On the contrary, I think that they can get quite a lot out of therapy that is done well where "well" means appropriate for the individual person. I know multiple people who have had a lot of therapy starting before they were 10 years old and yes from what I can tell they got a lot out of it. I also think that it would have been negligent of their parents to have not sought treatment of some kind for these kids' given what they were dealing with.

I don't think that age has had any real role on my ability to get a lot out of therapy, so much as having a therapist who I have very good chemistry with and who provides therapy that is appropriate for me has. It took a very long time to find said therapist and involved trying multiple different modalities of therapy (as well as a boat load of meds, none of which did much of anything positive). I have gotten more functional over the years, but again, I don't consider that to be a function of getting older/more mature rather it's a function of therapy for me taking a long time because of the issues that I'm dealing with and the sources of those issues.

I think what's most important is the chemistry between the therapist and the client as well as finding a therapist who does therapy in a way that is appropriate for the client.
  • MelodiousMermaidMelodiousMermaid Posts: 134Member Member Posts: 134Member Member
    @pridesabtch

No apologies needed. Those of us who have been there completely understand, and to be honest it's not really very scattered, all told.

I completely empathize with you on not wanting the daughter to follow. So far I think I've mostly dodged the bullet, but we'll see. I'm considering getting her in for counseling just so she can at least deal with her worries with a good, grounded source, and maybe she'll have a better start with coping skills and such than I do.

On a somewhat separate note, thank you for starting this thread. I've been lurking since you created it, because I'm in a pretty awful spot mentally right now myself. Trying to get the meds and professionals ironed out. I don't think I'm bipolar, so there's some stuff I don't have the experience with, but boy oh boy am I familiar with the lows. Maybe I'll get through this and be able to post a good success story myself one day, but I'm definitely not there yet. Basically at the point where I put on the public face as best I can when I can manage it, but barely able to put one foot in front of the other only because I know I'll hate myself more later if I don't.

It's kinda nice to have a place where I can be real (within reasonable limits). It's also kinda nice to have a place where I can learn about other people's experiences and relate. It's certainly not a bowl full of warm fuzzies for me right now, but I guess a small measure of relief comes close to describing how it makes me feel.