How many calories does everyone eat?

13»

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I weigh 180lb (down from 250lb some years back), and am a 5'10" female aged 50. My BMR is around 1500. I add another 400 on to that for my TDEE prior to exercise and then add on my exercise calories which are measured according to a Myzone HR monitor. These figures come out to pretty much exactly the same as when they are calculated by other methods. I exercise 7 days a week, usually, and my total calorie expenditure is typically 2300. My intake may occasionally go as low as 1200 but that is rare. 1700 would be the average, I guess. Basically I aim for an average deficit of 500 (counting exercise calories) a day to give me the 3500 deficit per week to allow me to lose one pound. Over time it has worked according to plan. I follow the 16:8 fasting protocol, mostly because I am never hungry for breakfast and prefer working out in a fasted state, but calorie counting is the key for me.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm a bit lighter than you and a lot older but my calorie goal today to maintain weight is 4,524 calories.

Which underlines @LyndaBSS post - don't worry about what other people have as their goal, my advice would be work out a sensible goal for yourself using this tool, log consistently, fully and as accurately as reasonably possible and then make adjustments after a month if you don't get the results you expect.

I hope you don’t mind me asking but how much do you weigh and how tall are you?

I can’t even imagine eating 4500 calories but I’m 5,7 and I don’t have much muscle so I think I should start building some muscle
  • 3500ish depending how much I eat during a race/ride
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    igutt wrote: »
    I'm a bit lighter than you and a lot older but my calorie goal today to maintain weight is 4,524 calories.

Which underlines @LyndaBSS post - don't worry about what other people have as their goal, my advice would be work out a sensible goal for yourself using this tool, log consistently, fully and as accurately as reasonably possible and then make adjustments after a month if you don't get the results you expect.

I can’t even imagine eating 4500 calories but I’m 5,7 and I don’t have much muscle so I think I should start building some muscle

@igutt
    I'm 5'9" and 165lbs but in reality if you burn that much (which for my sport of cycling is more a function of power produced over an extended period of time rather than your personal stats) you need to eat so you do. But cycling is unusual in that you can eat/drink significant amounts of calories while you exercise.

But that amount is pushing the limit of what I can (or want to) eat in a day.
    On my longest rides (200km) I simply couldn't eat the full amount. How Tour de France riders eat 5,000 - 6,000 calories a day for 3 weeks astounds me.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    igutt wrote: »

@igutt
    I'm 5'9" and 165lbs but in reality if you burn that much (which for my sport of cycling is more a function of power produced over an extended period of time rather than your personal stats) you need to eat so you do. But cycling is unusual in that you can eat/drink significant amounts of calories while you exercise.

But that amount is pushing the limit of what I can (or want to) eat in a day.
    On my longest rides (200km) I simply couldn't eat the full amount. How Tour de France riders eat 5,000 - 6,000 calories a day for 3 weeks astounds me.

That sounds very cool now I understand why you consume so many calories
  • sthurman
    sthurman Posts: 23 Member
    My suggested caloric intake at the moment is 1230 however, if I eat 1230 as sedentary as I am, I lose very very slowly. Like 0.5 lb weekly or less. I am obese so losing more isn’t a stretch for me, it’s necessary.

I eat around 1050-1100 cal, which isn’t typical or healthy for most people.
    And honestly not exaggerated or underestimated. I measure and weigh all foods myself, I don’t just add every food from MFP -many of those are terribly incorrect.

I am currently 203lbs and only 5’ 1” tall. Starting weight was 217lbs July 23rd. So about 1.75 lbs per week loss is what I achieve eating about 1100 cal daily.

When I am working out, I can eat closer to 1500 a day and lose about 1lb per week. I just can’t push myself physically right now due to joint pain, so my caloric needs are much lower than normal.

• StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Today is day 1 of logging, but day 4 of being 'back on track' for me. I'm not terribly active, and my BMR is about 1400. I aim to eat between about 1300-1400. Yet I'll allow myself more on days I exercise. This will have me losing about .5-.75 pounds per week.

5'5", 44 years old, 147.9 pounds & female. Down from 152.6 on Monday but most of that is food mass (eating less now than I was up until Sunday) and water weight. Even so it is NICE to see it moving in the right direction.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Today I had a mind to do a lot of exercise, so I did. That gave me a lot of exercise calories to eat. I'm at 2100 calories eaten today, have exceeded my protein macro and have over 500 remaining. I'm done.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    I am 5’4”, 29, female, lightly active, and current weight is 130 lbs. I maintain on an average of 2200 calories a day.

I am so confused; how can two people disagree with my stats and calorie target 😂

I re-read your original post, thinking that perhaps someone read something different into it. I got nothing. Not a clue as to why anyone would disagree, let alone two people.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    I am 5’4”, 29, female, lightly active, and current weight is 130 lbs. I maintain on an average of 2200 calories a day.

I am so confused; how can two people disagree with my stats and calorie target 😂

I’ve had it before and I think it’s people assuming their own individual experience must be the same for everyone. So you eat well and maintain and I think people who have to eat less to maintain (maybe they’re less active) don’t believe others can eat more. I weigh 120 pounds, I’m 5’3 and I maintain on 2,100 per day - but only because I strength train. People have woo-ed me when I’ve said that!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

I’ve had it before and I think it’s people assuming their own individual experience must be the same for everyone. So you eat well and maintain and I think people who have to eat less to maintain (maybe they’re less active) don’t believe others can eat more. I weigh 120 pounds, I’m 5’3 and I maintain on 2,100 per day - but only because I strength train. People have woo-ed me when I’ve said that!

Think the 2 same disagreable people(!) clicked on my first post too.
    Without asking anything about me or how I calculated what was an unusually high calorie day.

Oh well - makes a change from people in real life saying "you're lucky you can eat so much" or "how come you can eat THAT and stay slim?".
    It's the decisions I make around staying active and exercising a lot that mean I can eat a lot. Luck isn't involved.
  • Bedazzled35
    Bedazzled35 Posts: 51 Member

I have accidentally 'diagreed' with someone by catching it with my thumb as I scroll down. Maybe others have too without realising?
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I'm 5'11, just under 160lbs, 40 years old and eat anywhere between 1200 - 1600/day. Depends on what I'm getting into. Today, we plan to doing a Happy Hour, so I'll be using all my calories. Yesterday was about 1300, the day before I barely got 1250. My goal is 150 by mid-December. Toward the end I may increase the calories slowly if I get to my goal quicker than I expect. I've been doing MFP on an off since 2011. It works if you follow what it says, weigh (not measure) your food, and don't go over your calorie limit. Slow and steady wins the race every time, don't expect huge results. You'll get there. I just won't be as quick as you want it.

All of this will depend on you. How much you have to lose, how tall you are, how old you are, how active you are, etc. Someone else's results won't be your own.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    5'4", female, age 60. I eat 1,425 calories per day and am losing an average of 1.35 pounds per week.
  • MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member

Think the 2 same disagreable people(!) clicked on my first post too.
    Without asking anything about me or how I calculated what was an unusually high calorie day.

Oh well - makes a change from people in real life saying "you're lucky you can eat so much" or "how come you can eat THAT and stay slim?".
    It's the decisions I make around staying active and exercising a lot that mean I can eat a lot. Luck isn't involved.

The only thing I can think of is people disagreeing with your phrasing maybe? Your first post made it sound like you maintain on 4,500+ a day, and they might have been "disagreeing" that there is no way that is true. But, I feel like your follow-up posts made it pretty clear that that was only when you added in exercise calories. So, *shrug*.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

Yup. I’m about your height and weight, and thanks to running and lifting, maintain at just about 2100. It’s amazing how many people think that’s impossible, or that someone who is 5’4” surely can’t eat that much.
  • Cat_A_89
    Cat_A_89 Posts: 93 Member
    1200 when Im not working out (had to take a 2 week break due to a non exercise related injury) otherwise 1400+ depending on what I did that day.