Is it really possible to eat 245g of protein a day at 245 pounds?

2»

Replies

• tonjunee
    tonjunee Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2019
    tonjunee wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You also seem to be conflating calories, food weight, and macro grams.

100g of ground beef = x grams of protein, y grams of fat, and z grams of water.

And I agree with everyone else - while you could eat 245g of protein, it isn't necessary. That 1g per pound recommendation is usually 1g per lb of lean mass, or per lb of goal weight if you don't know your lean mass.

Oh, so it's to measure protein against only my lean body mass?

Yes.

Wow. I can't believe I didn't know that this whole time.

That would be why the numbers are conflated.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Time to go back over the numbers again.

I think now I'll have to probably buy some skin calipers as well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    You also seem to be conflating calories, food weight, and macro grams.

100g of ground beef = x grams of protein, y grams of fat, and z grams of water.

And I agree with everyone else - while you could eat 245g of protein, it isn't necessary. That 1g per pound recommendation is usually 1g per lb of lean mass, or per lb of goal weight if you don't know your lean mass.

Oh, so it's to measure protein against only my lean body mass?

Yes.

Wow. I can't believe I didn't know that this whole time.

That would be why the numbers are conflated.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Time to go back over the numbers again.

I think now I'll have to probably buy some skin calipers as well.

No need to overcomplicate this.

Really, just use your goal weight times 0.8 as your protein grams goal, as long as you have a reasonably healthy goal weight in mind. If you don't have a goal, just use the middle of the normal BMI (body mass index) weight for your height. That's plenty close enough.

If you don't know what BMI is, tell us how tall you are, and we'll figure it out. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited September 2019
    sijomial wrote: »
    As that's only 980 cals makes me wonder what your calorie goal is?
    It's clearly not impossible. So to answer your question yes it is possible to eat 245g of protein and not exceed a reasonable calorie goal.

How did you get 980 cal for 245 g of protein?

I see for ground beef it is 250 calories for 100 grams, but only 26 grams of protein in the 100 grams. My source is below:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=beef+calories

So if I go 250 calories X 9 = 2250 calories ( my deficit is 2400 calories)
    then 26 grams of protein X 9 = 234 grams of protein ( I'm close to 245 grams at 245 pounds)

Sure I reach my goal, but then there are no room for carbohydrates. Thus to take carbs I would only go over my caloric deficit.

Carbs and Protein are 4 calories per gram, Fat is 9 calories per gram. Many of the calories in that ground beef are from fat, not protein. Working in leaner sources of protein will make it easier to hit your goal.

And even then, with respect to the math that @tonjunee questioned, a lot of the weight of any given food is just from the water it contains. Even if you found a perfectly lean, carb-free protein source, you shouldn't expect that all of its weight comes from protein, and hence, you can't expect to multiply the weight of the food by 4 and get the calories.

ETA the last clause for (hopefully) added clarity.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    sijomial wrote: »
    As that's only 980 cals makes me wonder what your calorie goal is?
    It's clearly not impossible. So to answer your question yes it is possible to eat 245g of protein and not exceed a reasonable calorie goal.

How did you get 980 cal for 245 g of protein?

I see for ground beef it is 250 calories for 100 grams, but only 26 grams of protein in the 100 grams. My source is below:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=beef+calories

So if I go 250 calories X 9 = 2250 calories ( my deficit is 2400 calories)
    then 26 grams of protein X 9 = 234 grams of protein ( I'm close to 245 grams at 245 pounds)

Sure I reach my goal, but then there are no room for carbohydrates. Thus to take carbs I would only go over my caloric deficit.

Carbs and Protein are 4 calories per gram, Fat is 9 calories per gram. Many of the calories in that ground beef are from fat, not protein. Working in leaner sources of protein will make it easier to hit your goal.

And even then, with respect to the math that @tonjunee questioned, a lot of the weight of any given food is just from the water it contains. Even if you found a perfectly lean, carb-free protein source, you shouldn't expect that all of its weight comes from protein, and hence, you can't expect to multiply the weight of the food by 4 and get the calories.

ETA the last clause for (hopefully) added clarity.

I don't think anyone was saying you can multiply the weight of the food by 4 and get 245 g.

How I understood it is that OP said that he would hit his calorie goal without eating anything else if he got 245 g of protein. Someone took that really literally and said that 245 g of protein (with nothing else) would be only 980 cal. Of course, there's no way to eat JUST protein (thank goodness, as that would not be a good idea and someone would likely go on that diet). Even with a protein shake you get some carbs or a tab bit of fat or both. The cod option is one of the lowest cal ways to do it, and still requires nearly 1150 cal, not 980.

In any case, OP would have lots of cals for other foods doing that, but it's not going to be sustainable and of course is not necessary.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Just my 2 cents (Canadian), but 245 gms of Protein a day is unnecessary. Speaking from personal experience, ideally what you're looking for is 1gm (ish) per "lean" pound of muscle. I'm currently the lightest i've been in years at 205lbs, and my lean muscle weight is 160lbs, which is considered above average for sure. So I try to consume 150 gm a day. I'd say right now my average is around 125gm, but I'm cutting pretty hard.

There are many low carb protein shake options available as well, and drinking your protein is generally the cheapest as well, unless you're a giant fan of tuna. (cheap) The Protein powder I use is 3 carbs, 130 cal. / per shake but I drink it with water. ( not awesome, but you could use almond milk if you're looking for a bit better taste. Don't use Soy milk, it raises estrogen levels.)

All that being said; I haven't heard what your goals are? Why so much Protein? Are you looking to put on Muscle, lose weight, both?

In my experience, ppl aren't honest with themselves about what their goals actually are, nor are the prepared to do what it takes to achieve said goals.

Happy to help in anyway I can.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Sure, it's possible, depending on what your cals are and what else you are willing to sacrifice.But why would you? Normal recommendation (even for those who are active and losing weight and wanting to retain muscle) is more like .8-1 g per lb of lean mass.

Right, yeah. The 0.8-1 g per lb sounds like what I've heard from bodybuilders who recommended 1 g per lb. I am trying to lose fat and keep muscle.

I've worked out the macros and I can never hit 245 grams of protein without going over my caloric deficit limit.

Sure I could reach 245 grams of protein eating pure beef all day, but then that would just get me under the caloric deficit level with no carbs whatsoever.

Is this correct?

It will save you time, money, and frustration if you learn to ignore the 'bro-science'. If you heard it in a gym or muscle mag, don't trust it. Take the time to research it (and by research I don't mean read other bro-science sites :wink: ).