Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Maintenance - what does it mean to you?

just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 6,997Member Member Posts: 6,997Member Member
Does it mean that you aim to keep your weight at a constant (150lbs) no more no less.
or
Does it mean you allow yourself to a plus / minus amount of extra / less weight?

I myself go by the plus / minus idea. I know that warmer months I am waaaaay more active and lose around 10lbs but over winter when I am more in the gym lifting etc. I will gain that weight back. I dont stress nor worry about it.

Replies

• SarahAnne3958SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78Member Member Posts: 78Member Member
    I have a maintenance range of a few pounds. This takes into consideration the normal, daily fluctuations that occur.
  • TheMattyExperimentTheMattyExperiment Posts: 134Member Member Posts: 134Member Member
    Maintenance to me means not fluctuating more than a pound or two. Mostly used for taking breaks from reduced cal and/or when training becomes heavier/more difficult.
  • DiscipleOfChrist29DiscipleOfChrist29 Posts: 52Member Member Posts: 52Member Member
    Maintenance to me means not fluctuating more than a pound or two. Mostly used for taking breaks from reduced cal and/or when training becomes heavier/more difficult.

I agree with this 100% but I would also like to add for me it's mostly about not adding on fat or jiggle weight. I do not care if I add muscle during maintance LOL. I'm trying to look like @TheMattyExperiment.
  • GamlielaGamliela Posts: 2,484Member Member Posts: 2,484Member Member
    I get huge swings in water retention so I allow myself a wide range. I drop 10 pounds in 2 days depending on the type of food and excersize I get. My bmi is ok with me as long as it is between 20 to 23.5. It would make me nuts to obsess about keeping perfectly upon one number that I just happened to think up. ( I admit having done that in the past ) I've maintained my weight for over 4 and a half years now. I got in the overweight range for three months before that when we moved to a different country. That was preceeded by 8 years maintaining at a healthy bmi.

I think vanity, life circumstances, seasonal changes in excersize and diet changes all figure in to weight fluctuation. Some people feel better if they keep a tight grip on the number, others are quite happy to fluctuate to different degrees.

I believe you have a wide range of options available.
  • jenilla1jenilla1 Posts: 9,509Member Member Posts: 9,509Member Member
    It's a few pounds up or down for me, personally.
  • RovP6RovP6 Posts: 80Member, Premium Member Posts: 80Member, Premium Member
    Maintenance is a combination of things for me. Weight is obviously a good indicator and I aim to maintain that around my current weight plus or minus a kilo (2lbs). It's also a look and as long as I can see good muscle definition (not shredded by any means :D ) then I'm happy. I can pretty much predict what my weight will do on a daily basis depending on what I've eaten the previous day. The interplay between water intake and carbs plays a huge part in that, insofar as if I have a heavy carb day (which for me is anything over 250g) I know I'll probably be up to half a kilo heavier next day. I also play around with meal timings too and aim to go as long as I can before having my first meal of the day. I usually get to lunchtime before I actually feel hungry.

All of the above is part of my maintaining regime and it works well for me. I've pretty much been at the same weight for 2 years now.
  • neugebauer52neugebauer52 Posts: 916Member Member Posts: 916Member Member
    I am still far away from "maintenance" - and I don't think that I have ever been on a weight level where maintenance would have been of any use. Some MFP members suggest that maintenance is not that easy and requires a different mind set. I do like the plus / minus idea, possibly connected with a Monday to Friday mindfulness, taking it a little bit easy over weekends. I also think that I will continue to record on MFP my daily meals - it seems to be a long term to very long term life style adjustment.
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 4,479Member Member Posts: 4,479Member Member

Wow, I fluctuate 5-8 day to day.
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 4,479Member Member Posts: 4,479Member Member
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I get huge swings in water retention so I allow myself a wide range. I drop 10 pounds in 2 days depending on the type of food and excersize I get. My bmi is ok with me as long as it is between 20 to 23.5. It would make me nuts to obsess about keeping perfectly upon one number that I just happened to think up. ( I admit having done that in the past ) I've maintained my weight for over 4 and a half years now. I got in the overweight range for three months before that when we moved to a different country. That was preceeded by 8 years maintaining at a healthy bmi.

I think vanity, life circumstances, seasonal changes in excersize and diet changes all figure in to weight fluctuation. Some people feel better if they keep a tight grip on the number, others are quite happy to fluctuate to different degrees.

I believe you have a wide range of options available.

Same here I have a big range because depending on my diet and what I eat/drink/exercise my weight fluctuates 8+lbs day to day sometimes. I try to just keep within a range. If I start to trend up or down all the time, then I'd adjust.
  • elisa123galelisa123gal Posts: 3,619Member Member Posts: 3,619Member Member
    For me It means not going up a size...
  • LivingtheLeanDreamLivingtheLeanDream Posts: 12,291Member Member Posts: 12,291Member Member
    For me its +/-5lb range.
  • TheMattyExperimentTheMattyExperiment Posts: 134Member Member Posts: 134Member Member

Wow, I fluctuate 5-8 day to day.

Yes females typically do fluctuate a bit more than men. The most I’ll fluctuate is 3 lbs but that’s rare.
  • tuckerrjtuckerrj Posts: 1,151Member Member Posts: 1,151Member Member
    I need to keep a tight rein on it. In the neighborhood of +/- 2 lbs. I can really only eat 300 - 400 more calories a day than when I was trying to lose.