Timing matters. More calories in morning?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I imagine this could work well for some people. As for me, every neuron in my brain is unalteringly hardwired to expect and get a big, satisfying dinner between 6 and 7 pm. I will (and do) sacrifice other meals and snacks so that when I sit down to dinner, it's a feast. It's all about finding what works.

I am almost never home before 7, and rarely eat dinner before 9 (I usually get home around 8 or after). But as a result I like a lighter dinner and tend to eat somewhat more at breakfast and/or lunch. I don't snack.

When I eat around 6 I also like a bigger dinner and tend to eat less earlier in the day.

There are so many variables with these things and I doubt any effect of timing overrules what works best for personal schedule, although I do find that it's harder to eat well when sleep is compromised and likely when one has a really irregular schedule like night shift, which is what some of these studies find.

I lost faster than expected when losing, despite eating dinner late, however.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    The only impact a higher intake in the morning might have is providing more energy to fuel more vigorous activity like walking faster, lifting heavier loads, etc. Any extra weight loss will depend entirely on how you exert that energy.

That is possible.

However many of us have daily routines (like going to work for 8 hours) that are not going to change regardless of what we eat when - so moot point for many of us.

Actually, it's believed that eating breakfast can increase NEAT via increased fidgeting, faster walking, etc..
    An increase in NEAT will do more than most people realize. A more energetic person who gets up from their chair with a bounce, fidgets all day, walks with an extra pep in their step is going to burn a lot more calories than someone who sits still, gets up slowly and mosies everywhere they walk.

To clarify, eating more in general can cause this. Of course, it follows that an increase in NEAT can be easily overshadowed by a surplus of calories.

Yes i know NEAT varies between people who are apparently doing same thing - because of sort of thing you describe.

but i still think the difference for individuals on eating or not eating a big breakfast whilst doing same things every day will be pretty minimal

• Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care what time of day it is. It's your weekly calorie intake that matters. Personally I prefer to eat nothing in the morning and save my calories for night time when I'm hungry. It doesn't cause me to over eat at all. 12kg down and 3 to go
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I would think this would have a great deal to do with when a person is active.

I'm active during the day and wind down at night, so 70% of my calories are ingested after 7 pm. It would suck trying to work out with a full stomach.

I have to call into question the scrutiny of such a "study". Academia needs a reformation.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Don't get lost in one off studies. If you're going to utilize studies to determine your diet you should utilize ones that have had repeated results.

A lot of "diet" science is finally being called out for the bunk it is.

Remember that the chief factors that affect weight loss are insulin sensitivity, and that you are consuming fewer calories than you are burning.

Consuming fewer calories then you burn is all weight loss factors to, unless you want to count dehydrating oneself or limb loss as weight loss for arguendo.
    Insulin sensitivity is largely the product of weight loss, not the cause.