So depressed and alcohol has become my bestfriend

2»

Replies

• fatmonsters
    fatmonsters Posts: 30 Member
    Lots of us have been there or are there. There are sober living and less alcohol a day at a time threads on the challenges forum here, and they have lists of resources. This is how I came across the naked mind (Annie Grace’s free 30 day alcohol experiment)- if you don’t feel like you want to make the effort for AA or seeing your doctor for help, at least check out some of these resources from the comfort of your own home. We’re coming up to Sober October- nows as good a time as any.
  • AA could help you, but there are other ways to get treatment as well. The thing that helped me the most was finding out I was self medicating untreated MH issues. Didn't fix everything and I'm definitely still a partier/weekend drinker but ever since getting help I haven't been much of a weekday drinker and I definitely don't do stuff like have 3 screwdrivers with breakfast like I did back in the day so i call it a win.
  • striderkev
    striderkev Posts: 3 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I was drinking a gallon of whiskey a week. Health problems, weight problems, money problems. I installed an app on my phone to track how long since my last drink. It also tracks how much money I've saved and how much alcohol I haven't drunk. It's a daily struggle but I found that it helped me to put meaning to me stopping.
  • JigglypuffSharpie
    JigglypuffSharpie Posts: 10 Member
    I know it's hard to tell your family things sometimes, but do you think it's possible to let your family know what's going on with you? Maybe if you tell them about the cookie thing and about the alcohol as well, they'll try harder to motivate you to not take as many cookies next time or maybe they'll try to bake less. They could even check up on your progress with the alcohol. It's not good to go through these things alone.

You can tell your family you still want to be invited to family events, but ask them to encourage you not to take as many cookies next time. I know it's hard because my family members haven't changed their diet habits at all and I usually end up eating what they're eating, but sometimes they try to be nice about me dieting...

I bought ready-made cut-up cantelopes from the supermarket one time and brought it to my sister's house. She baked a lot of cupcakes for a kids' birthday party. I was going to use the cantelopes to keep myself from overeating. Cantelopes are really low in calories and even 3 pieces make you full. Unfortunately the cantelopes were expired (I didn't check the date before purchasing them) so I ended up eating the cupcakes after all.
  • steeliebob
    steeliebob Posts: 55 Member
    Nov 17 will mark my 30th year of retirement from drinking. I didn't partake for long .... I quit not long after it was even legal for me (but we all know how that works :wink: ) but it was an awfully bad spell. I lost of the few gals I have ever truly loved because of it, and almost drank myself to death in the wake of that. I learned early that alcohol and I were not a good mix.

CanesGalactica I think gave you a lot of sound advice and most of what I would have to say would follow pretty closely.

Feel free to send a friend request if you (or anyone else struggling), and don't hesitate to send a DM if you want some advice, or just someone to listen. Acknowledging something being amiss with your relationship with it and asking here is a good first step in moving forward in getting out of the grip of it.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    alcohol doesn't care about you. cookies don't care about you.

i've found the most successful sober people don't just cut alcohol, they change their behavior. instead of drinking, they go for a walk, drink a cup of coffee, call a friend. the same could be said for bakery.
    you will need to fill with something. consider what you want from your life that you aren't getting now. and then consider how to find fulfillment
  • monaleerez
    monaleerez Posts: 73 Member
    Feel free to add me as a friend, I know what alcohol is capable of doing and I'm still pushing through.