Need help with my chocolate problem...

2»

Replies

• sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    If chocolate is your sweet of choice, is there something else that you can cut back on? For example, I am not a latte/mocha/sugar in my coffee drinks kind of person, but much prefer to have my sweet calories through pastries, cookies, etc. I don't have them every day, but I feel like it balances out because I'm not double dosing on sugar. Maybe not the most sound logic, but it helps me enjoy the stuff I really do like.

I've also heard that sugar cravings can be a sign of a nutritional deficiency -- calcium, iron, zinc, and magnesium I think. Are you hitting those nutrients? Is there a way you can combine chocolate with something high in those nutrients? I have a lentil brownie recipe somewhere which is BOMB (so fudgy and delicious) that hits all those marks.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I quit sugar sweetened candy a while ago. I almost never eat it anymore because I can't control it but I buy sugar free candy. If you aren't adverse to artificial sweetners I would recommend it. I have a brand of sugarless chocolate that I love (Ross) and I allow myself one square a day. With no sugar in it I find I don't binge on it.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    ... I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but chocolate in particular is high in magnesium. Almonds and cashews are *also* high in magnesium...

I can tell I'm low in magnesium because I start craving chocolate, which is noticeable for me because I don't actually *like* chocolate.

So... Maybe try a magnesium supplement and see if that doesn't ease your craving down to "I like this!" instead of "IMUSTEATALLTHISRIGHTNOW." ?
  • I find it helps if I have some chocolate flavoured things regularly.
    For example, I stir cocoa into porridge, use chocolate but butter as a drizzle over yoghurt, or on toast.
    I like chocolate plant mylk as a snack.

Any actual chocolate I have will just get scoffed, so try to just buy one small bar at a time to minimise that.
  • jeninstx
    jeninstx Posts: 3 Member
    Is there a supplement that can help curb sugar cravings?
  • kerrylkatriviera
    kerrylkatriviera Posts: 25 Member
    Well, I found something new. I live in a food desert and can't find those little Ghirardelli chocolate squares that I like, otherwise I'd grab one before my workout. But I found boxes of small thin mint cookies (like York Peppermint Patties - only 3.5 grams of fat per serving and they hit the spot. It's not the sugar I crave, I hate too much sugar. I did get sick of eating semi-sweet chocolate. But the chocolate covered nuts really get me. However, the mints are a nice substitute.

Thanks for your suggestions!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    jeninstx wrote: »

Fruit :) Also protein, oddly enough. Here's my whole list:

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food. Additionally, mild to moderate exercise appears to work as a mild appetite suppressant for me.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    jeninstx wrote: »

Not really. In general, supplements don’t do even a fraction of what the marketing claims they do.

Protein helps a lot of people feel satiated as @kshama2001 said. This chocolate is really good and claims to help with cravings, but it does that by adding protein powder to the chocolate: https://jojoschocolate.com/

Whether it does anything for cravings or not, it’s still good chocolate.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    I have recently bought and love the Lily Dark Chocolate made with Stevia. Honestly I only eat a half serving now , I do not know why, its delicious and rich but very satisfying at the smaller amount...Each bar is 2 servings instead of just a square. As already suggested the dark, dark 80% and above chocolate is very rich and hard to eat large amounts, but satiates that chocolate craving for me.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    I can’t cut out foods I like including chocolate. I just don’t eat them every day or even every week. I try to plan for when I’m going to eat chocolate. I do find that if I eat a cup of blueberries (or raspberries or strawberries )after dinner it kills my sugar craving. But if I just say I’m never having x food again I end up craving it.