What small changes made a BIG difference?

1235»

Replies

• unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Coffee. I find it’s a pretty effective appetite suppressant, so that in place of snacks works well for me.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    In order to give me a better idea, I did some theoretical calculations and my daily milk consumption (about a cup per day, for tea / coffee): full cream - about 155 calories, fat free about 110 calories. Difference in a year is over 2 kg weight difference! Usually I use low fat, just because of the better flavour.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    I am assuming we're talking 3.5% (full fat/whole) milk vs 0.3% skim milk as opposed to talking about 10% (half and half) or 18% (coffee) cream?

If we are talking 18% cream which is what most coffee shops will provide you with in Canada, you are talking much much more than a couple of kg per year.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    liftingbro wrote: »
    I think for a lot of people getting rid of liquid calories outside of a glass of milk would make a huge difference.

This definitely helped me. Although I had to slow my roll on milk also.
    But I was always a big liquid calories person, and I didn't really recognize that stuff other than non-diet soda (which I stopped drinking many years earlier) was a calorie bomb. I drink super quickly so that made it even worse...other people sipping their mocha or smoothie for hours and I was done in 2 minutes and ready for lunch or whatever.

Really helped.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    edited January 2020
    liftingbro wrote: »
    I think for a lot of people getting rid of liquid calories outside of a glass of milk would make a huge difference.
    Oh, noooooooo, honey. I was drinking only water and milk. No sodas whatsoever. At least a gallon of milk every two days, sometimes more, to wash down all the cookies and chocolate.

Cutting out milk made a huge difference to me.

The only “milk” I drink these days is watered down homemade almond milk, max two cups per day.

Somewhere, there’s a dairy saying “what happened to all the demand for milk?”
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    My previous comment was flagged, not sure what was in there that isn't allowed.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    My previous comment was flagged, not sure what was in there that isn't allowed.

Sometimes I see posts like that and wonder if someone just hit a wrong button. But it's hard to say what people will flag and why. It won't matter unless it gets multiple flags and reviewed, and since there is nothing wrong they would just remove the flags anyway.

Little thing for me... always having a meal plan of some sorts before I'm hungry. If I wait until I'm too hungry it's just game on, and no telling what I will eat.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Eating once, maybe twice a day - second meal a nutrient meal replacement shake.. Full meal with a fruit crumble everyday. I feel sated and not deprived, it's my natural way of eating.

'It's only hunger it doesn't hurt' - wait for a couple of hours, walk the dog and prepare food - instead of diving for anything dueto emotional eating or a small rumble of hunger.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Making myself snack. I used to not eat until I was hangry! Then ate it all. It’s better for me to eat regular meals, and snack if I can’t have a full meal.
    Allow myself to overeat occasionally without guilt. If you lose weight 9 out of 10 days and stay the same 1 out of 10 days, you’re still losing. It’s all good!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    For me, everything is about habit forming. Turn actions that need motivation early on into things that you eventually just do naturally. And I find that a lot easier if I start the morning right, which actually starts the night before. No computer after 9, in bed around 10, so I get up early enough. I do that, I just naturally want to do a little activity, whether it's a walk, a swim, or just doing housework, before breakfast and leaving for work. But I feel like the day is starting on the right note.
  • sulwen314
    sulwen314 Posts: 21 Member
    The biggest small change for me was eating actual meals. Left to my own devices, I'll snack all day long and never eat something that resembles a substantive meal. That would be fine if I was snacking on nutritious foods, but nope - Doritos and ice cream were my favorites. Now that I've started to focus on eating at least two real meals a day at lunch and dinner, I find that I'm much more satiated than I ever was with my constant grazing. I still eat ice cream, I just eat a little bit of it after dinner instead, as it's intended to be served!
  • niknak8800
    niknak8800 Posts: 8 Member
    Cutting out peanut butter - its so calorific. Only drinking coffee (with milk), tea and water.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Lifting weights. I no longer fear calories or gaining.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    niknak8800 wrote: »
    Cutting out peanut butter - its so calorific. Only drinking coffee (with milk), tea and water.

I just can't!! :( It's the one food I'd carry to a deserted island. :wink:
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    niknak8800 wrote: »

Have you tried PB2? It's delicious! I like the chocolate version.
  • i_fraser11
    i_fraser11 Posts: 35 Member
    Using creatine