How would you feel about your partners weight gain?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Well, if you have different core values, maybe it’s time to evaluate your relationship.
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    edited September 2019
    I would just tell him. My guess is he hasn’t prioritized health at this point as something else is very consuming. Hopefully it’s not your relationship.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Dolly989 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Dolly989 wrote: »
    My boyfriend has gained a significant amount of weight in the last few months. Not because of any medical issue or anything like that, just generally letting himself go. Living with him I've noticed how good my will power is because hes constanly eating junk food and I don't ever cave in and join him. I like to lead a healthy lifestyle and can be quite strict with what I eat. I go to the gym most days. He makes fun of how strict I am and will try to buy me junk food to tempt me. I haven't brought up his weight gain because I don't wanna hurt his feelings but at the same time i'm annoyed at how little he cares about himself? What if the tables were turned would he be bothered if i start piling on weight? I don't know. Somtimes I'd make comments like 'you're getting take away again? Thats so bad for you" ect but he just laughs it off and says its delicious.

How would you feel if your partner started putting on weight? Would you care? Would you say it to them? If yes then how would you approach it?

You are being neither clear not accurate when you say, "you're getting take away again? Thats so bad for you"

"Take away" isn't bad - consuming excess calories regularly that leads to obesity is bad.

I suggest you work on some clear "I" statements and get back to us.

Yeah thats why I said AGAIN. because it happens alot.

I think what some of us who've spent time in long term kinda successful relationship are saying is that "You're getting take away again? That's so bad for you." may not be the most effective way to clarify your feelings or expectations.

One general route is something like "I'm concerned about your health, because I love you and hope we'll be happy together for decades to come. Is there something that's making it hard for you to eat nutritiously and stay at a healthy weight, so we have the best odds of a good life together? How can I help?"

There's a decent chance that the bold phrase would solve the problem by scaring him off. (We've barely moved in together and now she's talking about decades?) Hmmm, just crossed my mind that maybe he knows the carryout and weight gain bothers her, and he's just hoping to be saved the trouble of being the bad guy and breaking up with her, by convincing her to break up with him ...

I think she said they'd been together 3 years.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    My partner has put on around 45 lbs in the last year and a half. It doesn't bother me at all. He eats foods that wouldn't be considered healthy and he eats big portions of it. I love him and care about his health. He is overweight, but isn't suffering health ailments. He likes his "junk foods", and that is fine with me. Our food being different or having different body types has never been an issue. It's just food, and I love him for who he is :) The only time it would become a problem is if it's hindering his quality of life.
  • I feel like your particular situation seems like a two-way street issue. You seem to be slightly critical of his physical appearance, but he also seems to be slightly critical of your Fitness aspirations. Well I would say that if you love somebody their physical appearance should play some but not entirely all of a part of it. However that being said it doesn't really seem fair of him to criticize you for your Fitness. It doesn't matter what either of you look like, if you're looking for true love, that person shouldn't be critical of you doing something positive for yourself
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Hoping to hear an update. I am one of the few that think you should bring it up if it effects you. Why not? He communicates to you what he thinks, it should be mutual.

Also, you’re definitely not shallow, and everything you said made sense to me. Not sure why there was so much push back on this thread, but I’m guessing it’s because they’re relating their personal experiences which are completely different than your own.