Going to try intermittent fasting - anyone want to join me?

Options
2»

Replies

• gma38059
    gma38059 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    so, using intermittent fasting and low carb (net carbs 25 or less per day), I'm down 17 lbs. I kind of fell off the wagon when the quarantine started because I bought more for my kids & grands than for my diet and carbs were more than I should have gotten. Back on track and down 2 lbs this week so far. I'd like to see 2 - 3 lbs per week, but that may be ambitious.

How is everyone else coning along?
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for the first time ever about 4 months now. I like it a lot. Let me offer one word of advice. Usually during my fast time I dont struggle with hunger too much. The times when I notice that I struggle is when ive consumed more sugar/carbs during my last eating period. So my advice to a beginner is watch the sugars and you won't struggle with hunger. Good luck!!
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    IF helps me deal with unnecessary snacking and it does have other health benefits too if done right. i’m definitely a proponent.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @gma38059 I have no desire to rain on your parade but how about tracking all of your data points with MFP right out of the chute.
    Start here.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

After you have your sea legs you can make some additional tweaks as you're tooling along. You need the basics under your belt. Don't mind me, I'm just going to shoot it to you straight from the hips and lips. I am a leader on a private thread. It was the largest Intermittent Fasting group at one time with over 7500 members.

Do you know how many found long term success and permanent weight stability with intermittent fasting? I have no idea because I haven't heard back from any of them. This thread is 9 years old. I can count the active members on one hand. It's called TRE. Time Restricted Eating which is simply eating all of my meals within a window of time.

I don't fast at all. No fasting. No every other day fasting. No 5:2 fasting. No fasting whatsoever. I track my data points eating the recommended amount of calories with MFP. @gma38059 Do you know how many people have tried to overcompensate with intermittent fasting to improve a poor relationship with food only to find themselves starting over and over and over again. We simply haven't got the time but I'm here to tell you that it's not worth it.

I hear from newbies on a regular basis asking me if this the Intermittent Fasting thread. There's nothing on the title to indicate that it is now so I have no idea why they continue to ask if it's the Intermittent Fasting group. I'm not going to lead anyone down another pathway to a deadend road with food and rebound weight gain with friends.

Listen to @lgfrie. Most people can only lose 2-3 lbs of fat in a month's time. Then you're going to find yourself with diminishing returns losing more of your muscle mass and finding yourself with loose hanging skin. There are oodles of threads about that. Yoyo dieting with wild swings UP and down with weight contribute to loose skin and digging yourself into a much deeper into a hole with food. Don't go there.

Start with basics. Track your data points and just settle into a solid routine. Edge your way down slowly. You'll have a much better chance of actually getting there and staying there. Long term stability with weight. That's my overall goal.
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @ccrdragon anecdotally speaking, I would say that IF helped clear up my skin a little and I observed that one of my friend’s liver spots lightened noticeably after going on IF for a few months. Both of us did nothing else differently except starting IF.

There are lots of websites that list out the health benefits like:
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting

However, not everyone will find IF their cup of tea, especially women:
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/

Which leads us to doing it right. My biggest concern is with people who dive into it - some people jump right into one meal a day or doggedly persist with fasting when they are feeling faint. Even a 16 hour fast can be challenging for some. When I started in December, I couldn’t stick with 16 hours and ended up doing 12, then 13, etc till i made it up to 16 hours on an almost daily basis. Acclimatising to my new way of eating took a month. Your body does need time to adjust.

I would definitely recommend IF because decision making became easier. Too often, in the past, I would find myself in front of my fridge at midnight, thinking, “Just a handful of jelly beans won’t hurt, right?” Then, I end up eating the whole family sized bag. Now, the kitchen is off-limits at about 6pm. If I’m watching The Witcher, it’s just him and me and no Cheetos between us. If I’m hungry before bedtime, I’ve learnt to deal with it or if I’m REALLY hungry and can’t sleep, I’ll have a little something. Yes, I’ll break the fast! No big deal because I’m on point most of the time. The best thing is that “a little something” really is that because my appetite is no longer as big as it once was.

Hope that clarifies some of my points :)
  • gma38059
    Options
    As of today, down a total of 20 lbs in spite of the quarantine... I will say, the IF wasn't as much of a help as I'd hoped. I was already almost doing that anyways with my schedule. I have stayed with low carb, but use the NET carb approach. That has worked when I can stay with it. This quarantine did make that a bit harder.

Started this journey: 233.4 lbs
    Today: 212.4 lbs

The biggest thing I've noticed is that I'm no longer staying bloated - I may be a little carb sensitive because when I eat breads I get extremely bloated. When I back off on the carbs, I'm really gassy for a couple of days, but appear to lose several pounds (size) without losing hardly any weight.

How is everyone else making it? Quarantine life didn't get me - got one of those essential jobs in the OEM for electric grid components, so I didn't have to go stir crazy and find things to occupy me to stay out of the fridge!
  • gma38059
    Options
    yay! I broke the 210 mark a week ago. Still doing the IF, but also low net carbs and it's working.