I'm confused....Are Carbs really bad?

Options
13»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I do think it's healthier to eat more veggies and fruit than more processed carbs, like bread, cookies, cracker, tortillas, soda, etc. Do I think we should avoid all added sugars and carby treats? No.

Agreed. If one looks at the S.I. of common foods. Fruits, veggies, and potatoes are at the top per unit energy. Nothing wrong with processed carbs, but I think we tend to eat too many of them, and they are far more calorie dense.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I KNOW!!! :D
  • squirley13
    squirley13 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    OK so I'm confused...I'm one of these people who reads/researches/watches numerous videos etc but is also a sponge and takes things in to much! I became interested in IF about 12 months ago, I read books (Dr Berg, Dr Fung, Dr Mosley etc), watched videos and learnt a whole lot along the way (or so I thought). Just before Summer I tried low carb high fat which I enjoyed, not just to lose weight but from what I was reading carbs cause all kinds of things to happen i.e. inflammation, insulin spikes, diabetes etc so I did it for both "health" and weight loss.

However, I then read how we need carbs, carbs are not bad, don't see carbs as the enemy, just stick to your calorie goal, we don't need carbs from grains but we need the carbs from veggies and so on and it confuses me.

People seem to have mixed reviews on this...Is it excessive carbs that cause these issues such as diabetes, weight gain, inflammation...

I also watched that film on Netflix...The Magic Pill and people on there were so anti-carb!

Carbs are the only macronutrient that isn’t essential. There are essential fats and essential proteins but no essential carbohydrates for sustaining life. Research more or the Low Carb and Keto doctors and biohackers on YouTube like Dr. Boz, Dr. Ken Berry, Dr. Shawn Baker, Dr Eric Berg, Dr Mindy Pelz, Dr Josh Axe, Dr Nick Zyrowski, Dr. Sten Ekberg, Dr Paul Saladin, Siim Land, HVMN, Thomas DeLauer, and Fledge Fitness. There are dozens more for you will understand more of science and not the government’s agenda to brainwash the masses through bad information and poor education. The Magic Pill is by far the BEST Documentary. Oh Yes, All the doctors and scientists in that movie are amazing. Dr. Timothy Noakes is The BRAVEST for being so smart!
  • squirley13
    squirley13 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Its really insightful. What are simple carbs?

Yeah I think I do suffer from information overload :-( Time to nip it in the bud I think and just concentrate on my calorie deficit only as opposed to worrying about going over 100g of carbs daily!

I read your other comment about Dr Jason Fung research. Please understand the system doesn’t make money on us being healthy! Do more research on those doctors who help people. I suffered from Crohn’s and SIBO from eating carbs, high fiber from fruits and vegetables. The inflammation caused other illnesses and almost 100lb weight gain over my adult life. I’m mostly carnivore and low carb with Keto and have lost 83lbs with curing my illnesses without medication. The biggest lesson you need to learn from the Magic Pill is that diets of mostly carbs can result in Type 3 Diabetes. Most Americans are clueless what that is but fear it the most. Ignorance isn’t bliss. I hope everyone who reads this gets woke. Look 👀 it up!
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fat for your joints, hair, cells, brain, the list goes on.
    Your body needs protein for muscle growth.
    Your body can use carbs as an energy source... and that's it.

So if you ask me if carbs are bad, I say yes.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Every cell in our bodies needs glucose (a sugar). Our brains use 1/2 of all the energy sugar in our bodies. Of course too much sugar isn’t good, but too much of anything isn’t good.
    squirley13 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Its really insightful. What are simple carbs?

Yeah I think I do suffer from information overload :-( Time to nip it in the bud I think and just concentrate on my calorie deficit only as opposed to worrying about going over 100g of carbs daily!

I read your other comment about Dr Jason Fung research. Please understand the system doesn’t make money on us being healthy! Do more research on those doctors who help people. I suffered from Crohn’s and SIBO from eating carbs, high fiber from fruits and vegetables. The inflammation caused other illnesses and almost 100lb weight gain over my adult life. I’m mostly carnivore and low carb with Keto and have lost 83lbs with curing my illnesses without medication. The biggest lesson you need to learn from the Magic Pill is that diets of mostly carbs can result in Type 3 Diabetes. Most Americans are clueless what that is but fear it the most. Ignorance isn’t bliss. I hope everyone who reads this gets woke. Look 👀 it up!

According to the Mayo Clinic, and a close friend of a person that has Chron’s, there is no known cure. Only improvement of symptoms.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Just to be perfectly clear, in my post quoted above, I’m disagreeing with the post @squirley13 made about her Chron’s being cured by keto diet, caused by carbs and high fiber. I’m well aware that there is no known cure. One of my closest friends has had Chron’s for years.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Just to be perfectly clear, in my post quoted above, I’m disagreeing with the post @squirley13 made about her Chron’s being cured by keto diet, caused by carbs and high fiber. I’m well aware that there is no known cure. One of my closest friends has had Chron’s for years.

Yes I know. I was just agreeing with you :)