Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Sodium count

anchicagoanchicago Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
Eggs have a natural sodium level of 62. Why does the counter show it as 100?

Replies

• LyndaBSSLyndaBSS Posts: 5,864Member, Premium Member Posts: 5,864Member, Premium Member
    You mean a database entry? They are made by members. There is a lot of inaccurate information in the database. You have to use a lot of common sense.

Plus, it depends on the size of the eggs you use. Jumbo eggs don't say 100.
    edited October 5
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 3,360Member Member Posts: 3,360Member Member
    Yeah, I can't tell if you used a good entry or not without knowing which one you chose, but it depends on the size of the egg anyway.
  • TheMrWobblyTheMrWobbly Posts: 1,289Member Member Posts: 1,289Member Member
    From my experience sodium is the most commonly mis-entered stat. Lots of people confuse grams and milligrams and if they do understand don't realise salt is only 38.8% sodium. Most commonly people leave it blank as it is not something they are tracking.

You can edit the nutritional data on food or set up your own entry.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 3,360Member Member Posts: 3,360Member Member
    From my experience sodium is the most commonly mis-entered stat. Lots of people confuse grams and milligrams and if they do understand don't realise salt is only 38.8% sodium. Most commonly people leave it blank as it is not something they are tracking.

You can edit the nutritional data on food or set up your own entry.

That's not an issue with US entries, you can just put in whatever the label says. We have sodium in mgs, not salt.

With eggs, it likely is a whole food type entry anyway, and should depend on the size of the egg. If it's some homemade entry, the person could have included added salt, who knows, or maybe it's just a giant egg. (62 mg seems to be the amount for a medium egg, large or extra large would of course have more.)
    edited October 7