Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How many days a week do you workout?

strongernursestrongernurse Posts: 65Member, Premium Member Posts: 65Member, Premium Member
Currently 4 days a week of weight training for about an hour intensely (2 upper body, 2 lower body) and cardio after for 1 hour.

I’d like to go five days, but I’m too tired after work (nurse). Is this enough? Your turn.

Replies

• WC1982WC1982 Posts: 139Member Member Posts: 139Member Member
    To me what your doing as far as the lifting goes is great. I do well with 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days a week and I prefer it.
  • cbihattcbihatt Posts: 267Member Member Posts: 267Member Member
    Personally, I hate lifting. I do 3 days of cardio (running) and occasionally I will throw in a day or two of DVD workouts. Usually that means one day includes hand weights (nothing extreme) and one day is mat Pilates. My workouts don’t typically go beyond 45 minutes, but that could change if I start increasing my running mileage.
  • mij140mij140 Posts: 17Member Member Posts: 17Member Member
  • LobsterboxtopsLobsterboxtops Posts: 31Member Member Posts: 31Member Member
    I row every day. It’s really not as impressive as it sounds. 5 days a week it’s between 20-30 minutes. Weekends between 30-60min. And my days off* are 15 min.

I don’t row if I’m traveling, so on average that’s 5 days a month. I’ve been doing this since November and have missed probably around 10 days total or less.

* I’m not good with breaks so even if I don’t want to row my minimum is 15min.
  • nighthawk584nighthawk584 Posts: 896Member Member Posts: 896Member Member
    I workout out 6 days a week. 3 days of full body weight lifting and 3 cardio (alternating the two) Working out gives me so much more energy and makes me feel fantastic. I'm 54 and feel 34.
  • sugarismyweaknesssugarismyweakness Posts: 31Member Member Posts: 31Member Member
    I decided a while ago that I want to make my Apple Watch happy and complete at least 30 minutes of per day, so for me, it's 7 days a week at the moment... So far, I've managed 17 days in a row and I'm really proud of myself for that because some days have been a real struggle to get out of bed at 4am to do it!

This is mostly cardio for me as my main concern at the moment is weight loss. When I've lost a bit of weight, I'll start focussing on toning as well, but I just need to kick start the weight loss first :)
  • shaf238shaf238 Posts: 2,897Member Member Posts: 2,897Member Member
    5 days weightlifting, twice playing football (soccer).
  • mij140mij140 Posts: 17Member Member Posts: 17Member Member
    Also, I’m a nurse and I work 12 hour shifts. Can you possibly go before work? I find I have more energy when I start my day with exercise. I get up at 0330, get a good workout and shower/get ready at the gym. Just a thought!
  • rainbow198rainbow198 Posts: 2,002Member Member Posts: 2,002Member Member
    Everyday, unless I need a complete rest which is rare.

I walk daily, light strength training 4 days per week, Youtube workouts/DVD's, sports depending on the time of year (beach volleyball, ice skating, tennis).
  • sardelsasardelsa Posts: 8,322Member Member Posts: 8,322Member Member
    Right now just getting back into 3 full body lifting days per week. Plus some walking.
  • LivingtheLeanDreamLivingtheLeanDream Posts: 12,301Member Member Posts: 12,301Member Member
    I workout 5 days a week but have active rest days too. My workouts are typically more cardio and only lift two days a week (if even). When I did do more lifting I noticed I needed more rest/recovery days.
    I always know when I need to take a true rest day, my legs get fatigued, my mood changes from being normally upbeat to the opposite and I get hungrier than usual.
  • javamoakajavamoaka Posts: 13Member Member Posts: 13Member Member
    That is more than enough to be healthy and stay in great shape. I lift 3 days a week for 45 minutes and then do boxing for an hour Saturdays. I work full time and have a kid. You have to do what fits your lifestyle. I'm summary, you are doing way more than me Haha.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 19,768Member Member Posts: 19,768Member Member
    Currently 4 days a week of weight training for about an hour intensely (2 upper body, 2 lower body) and cardio after for 1 hour.

I’d like to go five days, but I’m too tired after work (nurse). Is this enough? Your turn.

I think that if you can do an hour of cardio after an hour of weight training, your weight training is not in fact intense.

Are you lifting anywhere close to failure? Or, at the end of the set, could you keep going and going?

What do your sets and reps look like?
    edited October 8
  • mmapagsmmapags Posts: 8,163Member Member Posts: 8,163Member Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I think that if you can do an hour of cardio after an hour of weight training, your weight training is not in fact intense.

Are you lifting to failure? What do your sets and reps look like?

While you may be correct about the intensity, lifting to failure is not recommended. It exponentially increases need for recovery. Leaving one or 2 in the tank each set is ideal.

OP, you are doing fine. You are doing what you can do given the rest of your commitments in life.
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Posts: 36,790Member Member Posts: 36,790Member Member

Actually "working out"...2x per week in the weight room, one with a trainer and the other on my own...occasionally I'll go for a 3rd day and am more likely to do that in winter when it's cold and dark, but otherwise I'd much rather be outside.

I'm active most days though. I like to cycle, mountain bike, hike, rock climb, walk my dog, etc. I'm doing something active most days. All great exercise, but I don't really consider those things a "workout" unless I'm specifically training for something, but I haven't raced in a couple of years now.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 19,768Member Member Posts: 19,768Member Member
    mmapags wrote: »

While you may be correct about the intensity, lifting to failure is not recommended. It exponentially increases need for recovery. Leaving one or 2 in the tank each set is ideal.

OP, you are doing fine. You are doing what you can do given the rest of your commitments in life.

I don't actually lift to failure myself, but was trying to gauge where she is on the spectrum, having wasted many years of low weights/high reps, where I did have plenty in the tank for cardio afterwards.

I'll edit my post to clarify.
  • mmapagsmmapags Posts: 8,163Member Member Posts: 8,163Member Member
    mmapags wrote: »

I don't actually lift to failure myself, but was trying to gauge where she is on the spectrum, having wasted many years of low weights/high reps, where I did have plenty in the tank for cardio afterwards.

I'll edit my post to clarify.

Thanks. I wouldn't want her to think she's wrong if not lifting to failure but your point about intensity is a good one.
  • PennyP312PennyP312 Posts: 122Member Member Posts: 122Member Member
    I think 4 is enough for how you are structuring it.
    I agree with the above posts regarding intensity of your lifting and being able to do 1 hr of cardio afterward, but if you can manage it and it’s working for your schedule, keep it up.
    Plus I imagine your job is pretty active as a nurse.
    I’m at the gym usually 6 days per week. But life happens and my minimum is 4 because I follow a very strict lifting regimine. 2 spin classes fill in the gap most weeks.