How do you pick your goal weight?

13»

Replies

• wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    elc43 wrote: »
    If I listened to my Dr.'s recommendation I'd look sickly. Unrealistic.

I have heard so many people say this, and assuming your doctors recommendation is based on BMI, the vast majority of the time, it simply isn't true. There are very few outliers when it comes to BMI. It seems that quite a few people today tend to think that they are at a healthy weight when they really are not.

My doctor had the opposite issue. At my heaviest weight of 145 lbs at 5’0” tall my doctor couldn’t understand why I wanted to lose weight since she said I looked fine. SMH.

Sometimes BMI doesn’t really suit everyone though. I know some people who are my height and weigh 100 lbs and somehow it works for their body, but not me. My lowest adult weight of 115lbs I have been twice and stopped menstruating both times and was a size 2. I was indeed too skinny as I lost all my curves.

At 120lb, I wear a size 4 which is certainly not chubby or big in any way. Even at 130, I wear a size 6 and have a 27” waist, even though technically this is overweight for me.

I definitely agree that BMI may not be completely accurate for everyone. I am slightly into the overweight range right now, but its the weight that best suits me and I am in far better shape now than when I was in the middle of my BMI range. I guess my point was though that I definitely didn't look sickly at a lower weight like the previous poster suggested they would if they got to what the doctor recommended. Funny thing is, when I was at a higher weight, I would have never wanted my weight to drop that low, but I couldn't believe how much better I looked and felt once I actually did.
  • aussiedog1987
    aussiedog1987 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2019
    The last time I went to the doctor before being put on meds, I was weighed at about 180. Then I ballooned after being put on a certain med. I noted that my parents (we’re all tall, but they’re an inch or two shorter than me) both weighed about 170-180. So I figure that’s my goal weight. I always thought I was “fat” as a teen (or at least chubby) and now I realize I was so wrong. I think I would actually be thrilled to hit 200, but 180 is the bonus.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Melolson14 wrote: »
    How do you pick your goal weight

I have a general range I'd like to be, simply because I've been there before. That said, I'll be happy at a weight that affords me better health and well-being. I think having a precise goal weight can work against you.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    I was 110-115 in high school. So I picked 120 which is just a bit higher but I feel more realistic.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    elc43 wrote: »
    If I listened to my Dr.'s recommendation I'd look sickly. Unrealistic.

I have heard so many people say this, and assuming your doctors recommendation is based on BMI, the vast majority of the time, it simply isn't true. There are very few outliers when it comes to BMI. It seems that quite a few people today tend to think that they are at a healthy weight when they really are not.

My doctor had the opposite issue. At my heaviest weight of 145 lbs at 5’0” tall my doctor couldn’t understand why I wanted to lose weight since she said I looked fine. SMH.

Sometimes BMI doesn’t really suit everyone though. I know some people who are my height and weigh 100 lbs and somehow it works for their body, but not me. My lowest adult weight of 115lbs I have been twice and stopped menstruating both times and was a size 2. I was indeed too skinny as I lost all my curves.

At 120lb, I wear a size 4 which is certainly not chubby or big in any way. Even at 130, I wear a size 6 and have a 27” waist, even though technically this is overweight for me.

I definitely agree that BMI may not be completely accurate for everyone. I am slightly into the overweight range right now, but its the weight that best suits me and I am in far better shape now than when I was in the middle of my BMI range. I guess my point was though that I definitely didn't look sickly at a lower weight like the previous poster suggested they would if they got to what the doctor recommended. Funny thing is, when I was at a higher weight, I would have never wanted my weight to drop that low, but I couldn't believe how much better I looked and felt once I actually did.

I get this.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    I'm male and 5'8" tall.

Started at 196 about 4 yrs ago. Goal wt was 160, which was a good wt for me b4 and a wt I had reached b4.

Made it to 160 in 6 months and maintained that wt for 2 yrs. Then started rowing daily and dropped to 150, which I liked better but, for some reason, couldn't sustain it and gained 10# back to 160 in just 6 months and then took steps to lose those 10# to get back to 150 in 3 months, where I am now.

BMI went from 29.8 to 24.3 to 22.8 to 24.3 to 22.8 but my BMI level had nothing to do w/choosing my goal wt at any point in time.

Only how I liked the way I felt and looked at each level were the main factors in deciding on my goal wt.
  • I just stopped losing when I hit 150 pounds. I’m 5 foot 8.5. I was happy there for several years and found it easy to maintain. Started strength training around 3 years ago and lost another 15 pounds. I’m still within a healthy bmi but on the low side. I’m intending to lose another 5 then bulk from 130 to 145 slowly for about a year. My upper body is too lean at my current weight imo but legs and bum have plenty of fat. I’m hoping to end up with a bit more muscle mass at a higher weight overall.

As others have said it’s ok to pick a goal and reassess as you progress.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    I chose 145 as my goal to start. It was a weight I vaguely remember being ok within my mid to late 20s. I started exercising when I was north of 180 (at 5’4” female mid 40s). I didn’t weigh myself at the beginning because I was more interested in moving than losing.

At 167 I started calorie tracking and am down about 7 1/2 lbs since the end of July. 145 will get me in the normal range then I will reevaluate where I want to go from there. My HS weight was about 120 ...weird thing is that I felt big at that weight...I’m not sure how but there you go.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    I started with recalling what was a sustainable healthy weight from before I had kids. Then I added in a few kilos because pregnancies = more skin, uterine, and breast tissue that won’t go away with exercise. Then I rounded up to the nearest 5 kg mark because I also changed to a physically demanding job and have more muscles now.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    I haven't picked one, I focus on feeling good instead of the scale :)
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,161 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you have a fair bit to lose, it'll be much easier to tell what's reasonable, when you get closer to it.

This close to what I am trying to do. I want to take subjectivity out of it in part one, and part two will include that.

Part one is a weight, about in the middle of my normal BMI

Part two (I think this is crucial for me) MAINTAIN that number for six months.

After six months of homeostasis :) then I re-ask, what feels right, how do I want to look, how do I want to feel, and what very small change will get me there.

I don't want to trust 'my opinion" until I pass the six months of maintenance test. I hope to complete part one in the next couple of months.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    For me goal is not meant to be a perfect stopping number. I set my first goal at 185, which was 50 pounds down from 235 where I started. It's still about 7 pounds above normal BMI. When I was 235, I thought that I would be a stick at 185, and normal BMI sounded crazy. Now that I am actually doing it, and closer to my goal (I've gotten as low as 195), I know that 185 is not where I want to stop. So when I hit 185, I will push my goal down to 175, which will be within normal BMI. Then from there, I will reevaluate, and keep going down in 5 pound increments until I feel like I've reached my ideal weight. Right now I am guessing that is between 165-170, but we will see.

My point is that you don't need an exact 100% right goal. I would pick something that is attainable and reasonable. When you hit it, you can always change it further if you are not satisfied.