Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Bacon - Calories......... interesting.

just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,796Member Member Posts: 7,796Member Member
https://commonsciencespace.com/bacon-calories/

The average calorie content for these samples of cooked bacon, representing three different brands and not differing much from each other, was 144 Calories per 100 grams of raw bacon.

The average slice weighed 49 grams before cooking, and yielded cooked bacon with 71 Calories per slice.

The average slice weighed just 16 grams after cooking, for an average energy content of the bacon as eaten of 4.4 Calories per gram, if you want to do the calculation that way.

The cooked bacon contained about 41% of its calories in fat (present in the fat itself, and as part of the cracklings). The streaks of meat, and the meat present in the cracklings, contained the rest.

Replies

• kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 20,780Member Member Posts: 20,780Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    In the name of science.
    500g bacon yelded 100g cooked in the oven and 0.5cup fat.

6b6na68nxcoh.jpg

z880sh3bg111.jpg

You put the yummy delicious fat in a jar because you are going to use it for something, yes?
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,796Member Member Posts: 7,796Member Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    In the name of science.
    500g bacon yelded 100g cooked in the oven and 0.5cup fat.

6b6na68nxcoh.jpg

z880sh3bg111.jpg

You put the yummy delicious fat in a jar because you are going to use it for something, yes?

What do you think hehe 😀
  • unstableunicornunstableunicorn Posts: 142Member Member Posts: 142Member Member
    aries68mc wrote: »
    Wait. You mean you can cook bacon in an oven? I never even thought about doing that. I thought you had to stand over a frying pan and suffer for your art. How do you do it, what temperature, does it make a mess of your oven and how do you lift the bacon above the grease? A rack?

This could potentially be life changing.

Sometimes I just SMH at the total lack of imagination I have in the kitchen. Thanks, Mom.

The oven is the best, no mess, way to cook bacon! Use a slotted pan, like your broiler pan if you still have it, or just a rimmed cookie sheet with a rack set inside. I usually do it at 375 until it's as crisp as I like, minimum of 25 minutes.

Now I want bacon...

I line a pan with parchment paper and lay single slices side by side, bake, and use paper towels to soak up excess fat after cooking. Admittedly it comes with some contamination risk, but I’m the only one at home who eats bacon and we’re pretty clean, so I’m willing to risk it. :)
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 4,068Member Member Posts: 4,068Member Member
    If I'm making bacon for eating on its own, the oven method is the way to go. Love it.

This morning I had bacon for the first time in a while and the point was in part to cook in the bacon grease while including the chopped up bacon in my omelet, so I used half a slice and then cooked my omelet veg and made my omelet in the same pan. I logged half a slice of raw bacon, so I hope that allows for the fat I cooked in.

I do the same when, say, cooking brussels with bacon or the like.
  • cheriej2042cheriej2042 Posts: 160Member Member Posts: 160Member Member
    So if I cook it in the oven like you say it doesn’t spit grease all over like when it’s in a stove top skillet?
  • aries68mcaries68mc Posts: 132Member Member Posts: 132Member Member
    So if I cook it in the oven like you say it doesn’t spit grease all over like when it’s in a stove top skillet?

Not at all!
  • Beka3695Beka3695 Posts: 2,126Member Member Posts: 2,126Member Member
    I oven fry at least a pound a week. Bacon adds so much flavor for relatively low calories - a little goes a long way! I have started swapping the bacon drippings for butter in many dishes. Last weekend I "buttered" bread with bacon grease. My in-laws were floored with how delicious the bread was. I heard my FIL say "everything is better with bacon grease." :D:D
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,796Member Member Posts: 7,796Member Member

Nope. And your house smells so good for next day or so :)
  • Roza42Roza42 Posts: 245Member Member Posts: 245Member Member
    Wait. You mean you can cook bacon in an oven? I never even thought about doing that. I thought you had to stand over a frying pan and suffer for your art. How do you do it, what temperature, does it make a mess of your oven and how do you lift the bacon above the grease? A rack?

This could potentially be life changing.

Sometimes I just SMH at the total lack of imagination I have in the kitchen. Thanks, Mom.

I never cook bacon in the oven any more cause you have to cook the whole pound. Then I have to eat the whole pound. I cook 2 strips at a time in the oil less fryer.
  • Ironwoman2219Ironwoman2219 Posts: 705Member Member Posts: 705Member Member
    https://commonsciencespace.com/bacon-calories/

The average calorie content for these samples of cooked bacon, representing three different brands and not differing much from each other, was 144 Calories per 100 grams of raw bacon.

The average slice weighed 49 grams before cooking, and yielded cooked bacon with 71 Calories per slice.

The average slice weighed just 16 grams after cooking, for an average energy content of the bacon as eaten of 4.4 Calories per gram, if you want to do the calculation that way.

The cooked bacon contained about 41% of its calories in fat (present in the fat itself, and as part of the cracklings). The streaks of meat, and the meat present in the cracklings, contained the rest.

Your post just made every Saturday morning of the rest of my life better! Thank you!🙏🙏🙏