Vanity sizing and clothing fit.

13»

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    flaminica wrote: »
    But it just makes me wonder what the truly smaller sized people are supposed to wear when I am buying up all the smalls and and an xs will fit someone who is a size 6-8??

Two words: Children's section. A girl's 14 is a women's 8-10 depending on make. For teen section Junior's sizing just go up one. If you're short, kids and teens not only fit, but frequently fit better than women's petites.

I can also find clothes in teen shops .... but a 40+ year old woman dressing in teenage fashion just doesn't work too well for most things.

Vanity sizing may have helped some woman from being in denial with weight gain but for those of the petite size it has meant a huge issue with finding clothes that fit.

Hmmm...I’m a 40yr old woman and still dress like a teen most days. Is that wrong? 😂
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited November 2019
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    flaminica wrote: »
    But it just makes me wonder what the truly smaller sized people are supposed to wear when I am buying up all the smalls and and an xs will fit someone who is a size 6-8??

Two words: Children's section. A girl's 14 is a women's 8-10 depending on make. For teen section Junior's sizing just go up one. If you're short, kids and teens not only fit, but frequently fit better than women's petites.

I can also find clothes in teen shops .... but a 40+ year old woman dressing in teenage fashion just doesn't work too well for most things.

Vanity sizing may have helped some woman from being in denial with weight gain but for those of the petite size it has meant a huge issue with finding clothes that fit.

Hmmm...I’m a 40yr old woman and still dress like a teen most days. Is that wrong? 😂

Not if it works for you. I personally prefer to stay away from really short skirts and shorts and skinny jeans or ripped jeans which seem to be the choice of bottoms in teen shops here in Australia.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I was so thankful when Levi's came out with the athletic fit jeans a few years back. I reccomend them to anyone who lifts, you get low rise jeans with a taper that actually fit the thighs and the waist off the rack.

I love them, mostly because I can wear them from 125# to 175#, adjusting fit by carrying more or less in those wonderful, deep, pocketses.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Its a jungle out there. Sometimes I get overly hyped about being able to fit into a smaller size in one store only to have my dreams crushed when I can't fit into my regular size somewhere else. Styles being what they are, 'relaxed', 'straight' certainly do not have the same meaning and it makes it annoying as hell to shop
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    I’m a fit technician and I spend my days fitting clothes and looking at body shapes. The issue is that not everyone’s body is shaped the same. We have to pick a standard as a starting point and that is usually a composite built from 1000’s of body scans and data points. There is no “one” correct body type and everyone will have fit issues based on thier spcific shape.

OP- athletic fit clothes are purposely built with more room in them to accomodate for muscle, whuch is why you can size down. Same thing happenes to me when I buy a “curvy” vs “regular” fit; there is more room in the thigh so I can size down.

While I understand everyone’s frustration with fit, I live it daily both personally and professionally, this will never change. The best thing you can do it buy a good quality item you will want to wear for a long time and invest a cew bucks to have it tailored to your specific shape.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I’m a fit technician and I spend my days fitting clothes and looking at body shapes. The issue is that not everyone’s body is shaped the same. We have to pick a standard as a starting point and that is usually a composite built from 1000’s of body scans and data points. There is no “one” correct body type and everyone will have fit issues based on thier spcific shape.

OP- athletic fit clothes are purposely built with more room in them to accomodate for muscle, whuch is why you can size down. Same thing happenes to me when I buy a “curvy” vs “regular” fit; there is more room in the thigh so I can size down.

While I understand everyone’s frustration with fit, I live it daily both personally and professionally, this will never change. The best thing you can do it buy a good quality item you will want to wear for a long time and invest a cew bucks to have it tailored to your specific shape.

Or learn to sew. :lol::lol::lol: But pretty much nobody sews anymore. Yeah, I know patterns have equally whacky sizes, though they do tend to be more consistent to the body measurements (which are generally provided on each pattern). You get a sloper (fit) pattern, make it up in affordable fabric (muslin is customary), adjust, and use it as a guide to make other stuff.

It's kind of like cooking for yourself, only much more time-consuming. Much. ;)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Dead bird stuff tends to fit me well. It looks great, lasts forever, and works really well. Only thing not to like is the price tag. Sales help some.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

i have more of an issue fitting into athletic clothes than regular clothes.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I was looking for "boyfriend jeans" late last year and fit high street sizes from an 8 to a 00 - ridiculous. I hit up Gap last thinking they'd have their *kitten* together but that was the 00. I know that's a loose fit style but the waist needs to be of a size to stay up one would, perhaps stupidly, assume.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    I have struggled a lot with finding pants especially. My thighs are wider at the top than my waist, and I have large hips and thick thighs, but my upper body is smaller. I often get stretchy pants to help with this lol.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    I have struggled a lot with finding pants especially. My thighs are wider at the top than my waist, and I have large hips and thick thighs, but my upper body is smaller. I often get stretchy pants to help with this lol.

Have you not discovered fashionnova.com
    There pants are made for girls with that issue.
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    I mean, people come in all shapes and sizes. If there was a "standard" size 8, there would still be variations of 8s who are pear shaped or have skinny legs or have big boobs or broad shoulders. Even without vaniety sizing, you would still have to try things on. Clothes worldwide come from a zillion different manufacturers, designers, and producers and are varied and plentiful and cheap.

Vaniety sizing exists because people like it and it makes us buy more clothes. There are more Size 16s today than there are Size Zeros, but we've spent so much time as a society telling people they should be ashamed to be a Size 16, that - low and behold - people didn't want to buy stuff that reminded them of that fact. But slap an 8 on that label and they feel "normal" again (even though everyone has always been normal, always) and buy more. Maybe it's annoying, but it's also brilliant,.