How do YOU "cheat day"?

2»

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited November 2019
    It took me a long time to realize that choosing my own macros percentages makes MFP unique and gives me the best possible chance to succeed with losing over 75 kg (165 pounds). I don't need cheat days and I don't go for extensive binge eating any longer. Through MFP and all those supportive members I now understand my trigger foods and what "food stacking" means. A cheat meal (i.e. 2 large loaves of bread and whatever I can pack into it and on top of it) used to always, always lead to a cheat day, to a cheat week and a further 5 kg of fat. (570 days later, 43 kg gone and some more to go.)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I don't cheat. It is impossible. Everything I do is part of my plan. I will occasionally eat my maintenance calories or even higher but it is not cheating. Ever.

This.
  • julanig612
    julanig612 Posts: 40 Member
    I cheat by eating at maintenance. I have to "cheat" once every few weeks as it feels like a holiday. I eat whatever I want either way so cheat days are just more of whatever I feel like. Usually stuff I can't fit into my usual allowance, like fries and high calorie snack stuff, nuts, chocolate etc.
  • Cinder333
    Cinder333 Posts: 39 Member
    It took me a long time to realize that choosing my own macros percentages makes MFP unique and gives me the best possible chance to succeed with losing over 75 kg (165 pounds). I don't need cheat days and I don't go for extensive binge eating any longer. Through MFP and all those supportive members I now understand my trigger foods and what "food stacking" means. A cheat meal (i.e. 2 large loaves of bread and whatever I can pack into it and on top of it) used to always, always lead to a cheat day, to a cheat week and a further 5 kg of fat. (570 days later, 43 kg gone and some more to go.)

Same here. I went off plan a bit for Halloween, and really struggled the next day to go back on plan. I think it's easier for me to stay within my range.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I'm pretty focused on my goals so I don't have cheat days, but the closest I will come to one is this Thanksgiving. I'm not going to totally go overboard, but I will bank some calories that week so I can enjoy the holidays and sample all the good food!

Oh yeah. Pecan Pie, here I come!

That's my favorite! I always request lots of pies so there is more pecan for me.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited November 2019
    Sometimes I meet my goals. Sometimes I go over. As long as I meet my goals way more often than going over them I see progress. I eat everything I want, just less of it, less often.

I find I actually enjoy food more after taking this approach. I refuse to eat food I don't find tasty. Not worth the calories and I won't starve..no fat lady ever died of starvation. I can always choose to wait to eat something awesome later instead.

This is spot on for me too, in fact a great overall summary of my diet - be on plan with the calories most of the time, go over a small amount of the time, and I've completely eliminated all of the following:
    • "light" or "reduced fat" anything, especially light mayo and light or no fat salad dressing
    • diet / meal replacement shakes
    • powders
    • any products that substitute X for Y in order to be lower calorie, unless I just like them better (as is the case with baked potato chips)

I just eat what I want, in portions measured to hit my calorie target, which are sometimes a bit on the small side since I don't trade out higher calorie ingredients, but that is the price that must be paid to lose weight so I accept it.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    I've been maintaining for years now, still watch and log my calories because I'm so used to doing it. If I eat too much one day I'll eat at a deficit for the next few days. I try to eat high fat on my cheat day and stay away from sugar. My fav is a dozen chicken wings and an entire bag of grandma utz handcooked potato chips- they're fried in lard. Every two weeks...
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Stop thinking about eating food as cheating is how I do it.