Dumbbells are Expensive!

2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I don't see why you couldn't remove the rust. I would not let some rust stop me.

I guess I got lucky, I got a pretty good deal on a barbell, plates, rack, bench etc. If it were me I'd just keep an eye out on facebook for a while. I also offered less than they had it listed for and they took it. A lot of workout equipment, people are just trying to get rid of it.

I wouldn't even worry about the rust if they were cheap enough :)

I bought a 5-25 pound set with rack and free shipping with Prime on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RNW3OQ/

I bought 8 and 12 pound dumbbells at Walmart. There (and probably other places) coated are more expensive than naked. These are $13.99 each for the 15# https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weider-Cast-Iron-Hex-Dumbbell-3-70-lbs-with-Knurled-Grip/52049064?selected=true
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i would also say black friday and then cyber monday is coming up - so if you can wait - you may find some deals
  • HamptonsGuy
    HamptonsGuy Posts: 72 Member
    Ive picked up my dumbbells and weight sets listening to classifieds, yard sales and I found my 15# on the side of the road. I havent spent a lot but have probably 2-3 sets of weights, bars and a bench.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Check for sales, look for used but keep in mind that buying your own equipment means not having to pay for a gym membership and/or travel to the gym.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    The price of dumbbells is the only reason I endure some of those poops at the gym. Well, that and it's cold outside.

The local rec center is pretty low cost and has a great set,(plus cable machines, squat racks) for a year for.less than a set of dumbbells.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2019
    From what the OP has written about their strength, they also make some incredible resistance bands now. I don't like the metal grommett ones (can be dangerous) but they make some now strictly rubber and with handles that you can slide one, two or three different bands into. You can do a lot of versatile exercises with them. Probably for less than $40.

Lifeline is just one brand that has these three resistance band handles. I've seen more brands. You can get the Lifeline handles and three beginner resistance bands for around $20 on Amazon.