Sneaky strategies

Options
13»

Replies

• Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I fill out my food diary a few days in advance. If I want to eat something and it doesn’t fit into any excess calories I have left over, I don’t eat it.

(I do the same ☺)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I did anything sneaky but I guess keeping just my license in the car and leaving my wallet at home keeps me from stopping for coffee before or after my workout. I've been dying to try Dutch Brothers coffee and no longer get blender coffee drinks but have been making cold brew at home to save calories/money. I'll try it one of these days, it must be good with such long lines!
  • epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to think of sneaky strategies, and I'm not sure my strategies are sneaky, per se.

My best stay-on-track strategies are:

Packing breakfast and lunch the night before to take to work
    Laying out gym clothes and packing work clothes the night before
    Pre-logging my entire day before breakfast
    Walking on my morning, lunch and afternoon breaks
    Allowing myself treats every day, in moderation

How about this one? I only buy the types of chips I don't like, for the family.

Love the last one!!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't know how sneaky it was, but when I first started I made it a point to do my exercise over the lunch hour. Lunch and going out with everyone was kind of a thing and lots of peer pressure to go out. Obviously if I'm exercising I can't go out. Initially people would ask why I couldn't just go after work, but I also had the very valid excuse of having a 2 year old and new born at home at the time.

That was 7 years ago...nobody really says anything these days and I brown bag my lunch most days. I'm also not really part of the social scene at work anymore since I'm in an executive position and fraternizing with staff is not really advisable.

I used to go for a walk every lunchtime iny old job. Haven't been able to do that in my new one. Though this job is a LOT more active than my old one
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't know how sneaky it was, but when I first started I made it a point to do my exercise over the lunch hour. Lunch and going out with everyone was kind of a thing and lots of peer pressure to go out. Obviously if I'm exercising I can't go out. Initially people would ask why I couldn't just go after work, but I also had the very valid excuse of having a 2 year old and new born at home at the time.

That was 7 years ago...nobody really says anything these days and I brown bag my lunch most days. I'm also not really part of the social scene at work anymore since I'm in an executive position and fraternizing with staff is not really advisable.

I used to go for a walk every lunchtime iny old job. Haven't been able to do that in my new one. Though this job is a LOT more active than my old one

I work 12s (0900 to 2130) with an unpaid 30 minute lunch break. I don't eat breakfast. Not eating on my break is not an option as we can't really eat (other than snack stuff sometimes) at the desk. So I spend 15 minutes eating and 15 minutes walking. 800+bed hospital with catwalks to other buildings so it's not hard to get an indoor walk in in the heat or cold or rain. If it's between 55 and 75 I go ahead and walk outside, but I am not getting all sweaty and going back to work, lol
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    I do back-to-back bunco nights once a month. Ladies, you know what pigfests those things are, and they absolutely kill me every time.

I read someone’s suggestion about brushing your teeth, that it kills appetite. Well, Altoids taste like toothpaste to me. I loath them.

A few timely Altoids effectively killed my appetite, and I made it out of both nights with minimal damage done.

Bleccccch, though.......

And in the plus side, we are going to my favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner. I’ve pored over the menu and discovered a grilled chicken and mango salsa salad. Even if I factor in a half a bowl of chips, that’s doable!!!! Wish it was those fab fajitas, but it still sounds yummy. Would do the fajitas but I know I will dive into the chips without even thinking about it, and can’t have it both ways.

Sneaky tips: Altoids and preview the menus
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I didn't think I did anything sneaky but I guess keeping just my license in the car and leaving my wallet at home keeps me from stopping for coffee before or after my workout. I've been dying to try Dutch Brothers coffee and no longer get blender coffee drinks but have been making cold brew at home to save calories/money. I'll try it one of these days, it must be good with such long lines!

Dutch Bros cold brew with one ounce of cream is only 58 calories. And yummy!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    epangili wrote: »
    1. At social functions where there are tons of appetizers and I've had just a taste or don't want any more calories, I will put a few drops of peppermint extract on my tongue. I breath in through my mouth two breaths and it feels like I brushed my teeth signaling to my body that kitchen is closed and tastebuds are disrupted for anymore tastes. I don't do gum or mints because for me, sugar just makes me more hungry and crave more.

2. I stopped filling my coffee cup in the office because there are always offerings of sweet treats next to the coffee pot so instead I make my own coffee away from where I know temptation lies.

3. I don't keep trigger foods at home but don't restrict myself from trigger foods. I tell myself I can have it but I need to eat something healthy first and if I still want it, I have to make a special trip to go buy it.

4. I know I stress eat and I used to run to the cafeteria to inhale comfort food. Now, I keep "stress balls" for my mouth in the form of dry roasted almonds one at a time or jerky. I know, weird but it's working for me!

I have my last ten pounds to go! Philippians 4:13

Such an interesting way with peppermint extract, i have to try it!
    - i chew gum after lunch to stop from looking around for treats.
    - coffee and tea are great distractions, or herbal tea if it's evening and I'm avoiding caffeine.
    - i use Altoids too, but unlike @springlering62 i love the taste, so i have to be mindful of the amount of them eaten.
    - keeping busy is great, i totally forget about food and hunger.
    - my biggest downfall is snacking after dinner. I'm not hungry, but always feel that it's my time to snack, and I've been going to town lately. The fact that I have limitless amount of yummy snacks at home isn't helping and the fact that i can justify coming back for more over and over again is killing me. So I'm trying out a new strategy. Chew some gum after dinner to keep my mouth busy for a bit and then choose one snack/ one portion size and that's it. Then go and brush up and that's all. Normally, after I brush my teeth I'm done, no more cravings. It's to get it done without making a detour with more excuses for more snacks, that's the problem step.
    - i try to ride my bike to work as many days as possible, plus nice big rides whenever I have time and on the weekends.
    - always try to be the one to walk our dogs, everything helps ;)
    - Sometimes i have cravings, usually after lunch, that i can make go avay with chia/ flax mix. And even half a teaspoon is enough.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I didn't even think of Altoids, I pop the cinnamon ones like candy when on trips where my nephews are munching on snacks!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    I asked for a bowl of bell pepper strips in lieu of corn chips at the Mexican restaurant and dipped them in the salsa. Nice and crunchy and tides me over til the meal came. I figure that saved me about 650 calories, and I spent some of that on upgrading my meal.

Also asked them not to bring me the rice, which is delicious but calorie laden.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to think of sneaky strategies, and I'm not sure my strategies are sneaky, per se.

My best stay-on-track strategies are:

Packing breakfast and lunch the night before to take to work
    Laying out gym clothes and packing work clothes the night before
    Pre-logging my entire day before breakfast
    Walking on my morning, lunch and afternoon breaks
    Allowing myself treats every day, in moderation

How about this one? I only buy the types of chips I don't like, for the family.

All these. Although the pre-logging can be done in my head (after 4 and a half years of logging). I log later, just to make sure I'm on track, and see that I've done enough activity via my Garmin sync.

I also gave up alcohol, which was has been so nice. No longer swayed by so many ups and downs.

I used to hate the taste of fake sugar, but now I love a huge glass of a mixture of diet/real cordial, juice, diet dry ginger, and sparkling water. I find the 200-300kj of sugar in the drink plus the sweetener hits the spot like alcohol, but without the calories or regrets the next day.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I’m not sure it’s sneaky but I avoid the bread they offfer you at restaurants in the uk before the meal comes as with the amount of butter I can shove on a roll it’s already the calories of a small meal

I’ll share a starter and just have a couple of spoons of my other half’ dessert.

I drink a ton of coffee and sparkling mineral water with lemon. Anything to distract me and fill me up.

Sometimes if I’m feeling hungry in the evenings I’ll go to a group exercise class at the gym. I’ll forget about being hungry. I don’t associate the gym with eating whereas if I stayed at home then the urge to eat and availability of food.... bad combo for me.