Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Sugar in fruit- why is it counted towards daily intake?

mommyfit1funmommyfit1fun Posts: 10Member Member Posts: 10Member Member
From what I have been reading, the sugar in whole fruit is not counted toward daily sugar intake limits. So why does this tick away my grams of sugar when I log an apple?
Any answers, explanations and/or suggestions welcome.
Please remain positive. ✌

Replies

• TheMrWobblyTheMrWobbly Posts: 1,549Member Member Posts: 1,549Member Member
    I stopped tracking sugar on here for the same reason, that I was getting most of mine from fruit. Processed sugars should be limited, though you shouldn't have too much from fruit either. This is why in your '5 a day' you are limited to 150 ml from fruit juice which has a high sugar concentration. If you know you keep your processed sugar low track something else.
    edited November 7
  • MikePTYMikePTY Posts: 3,248Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,248Member, Premium Member
    Because fruit from sugar is still sugar. Your body doesn't differentiate natural or added sugars. It all gets broken down to sugars.

Food labels, at least in the US, have only started recently differentiating added sugars from natural sugars. By that point, there were millions of entries already created in the database. So I don't think they will ever add the option.

If someone is watching their sugars for medical reasons, they likely have to watch all of them, regardless of where they came from, which is why tracking sugars cna be important for some. For the rest of us, sugar, added or not, does not matter for weight loss.
  • dmkoenigdmkoenig Posts: 244Member Member Posts: 244Member Member
    From a calorie standpoint it needs to be counted. However sugar from certain fruits, especially berries, actually does not have the same deleterious effects that added sugar coming from non-fruit sources have. Dr. Greger on nutritionfacts.com has a number of really interesting videos describing studies on this.

Here is one: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/if-fructose-is-bad-what-about-fruit/
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 3,496Member Member Posts: 3,496Member Member
    Because the thing being tracked is sugar, not added sugar.

US labels until recently (and still not entirely) had sugar but not added sugar, so it was impossible to track added sugar. What MFP did instead was create a 15% limit for sugar (vs the 10 or 5% recommendations for added sugar) and assume veg and fruit consumption would not be that high for people worried about tracking sugar.

Personally, I find it easy to tell if sugar is added (or partially added) and don't care about other sources. If I have 45 g from veg, great!

Others who are more bothered by being in the red may recommend tracking only carbs and fiber and not sugar (fiber is good, so again don't worry about being in the red). If you are over fiber and in carbs and hit protein and fat, sugar is not too high.
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 14,236Member Member Posts: 14,236Member Member
    Honestly, if you're staying in your calorie goal successfully for any decent length of time (and absent medical conditions of course) you are probably controlling added sugar just fine and don't have to worry about it. The primary danger of eating too much added sugar is eating too many calories. If you are trying to stay within a calorie goal and eating a lot of added sugar, you are probably going to struggle with hunger and end up over eating.

As others have said, the mfp sugar goal is for total sugar, not just added sugar, and that does include fruit. I find that when I hit my calorie, protein, and fiber goals, it is pretty rare for me to go over sugar and if I do it is usually lots of fruit, or a holiday where I eat lots of sweet foods. So I rarely bother to check it anymore.

Added sugar in the nutrition box is relatively new, is there a USDA recommended limit yet? If so, I'd bet the food log will set the goal eventually, but change does take time here. I'm sure there will be a new fashionable dietary Boogeyman by then though :smile:
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 20,046Member Member Posts: 20,046Member Member
    As new label changes for added sugar are just now being phased in, it is not likely MFP will accommodate added sugars for some time.

https://www.fda.gov/food/food-labeling-nutrition/changes-nutrition-facts-label

The new label is already appearing on packages even before it is required to be used. Manufacturers with $10 million or more in annual sales must switch to the new label by January 1, 2020; manufacturers with less than $10 million in annual food sales have until January 1, 2021 to comply. Manufacturers of most single-ingredient sugars such as honey and maple syrup and certain cranberry products have until July 1, 2021 to make the changes. Manufacturers of certain flavored dried cranberries have until July 1, 2020 to make the changes.

0637ef21086c2d92556696b05cc163e8.png