1235»

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    Having worked in a food research laboratory at Procter & Gamble's Food Research Center Winton Hill Technical Center I can say with pretty much confidence that food processing is not done to make the food more dangerous, less stable or more expensive. If they do it, it is to make the food safer, more long lasting, tastier or to comply with the bureaucrats. And, having cultured household kitchen surfaces to see what kind of mold and bacteria finds its way into containers after they have been opened in your kitchen, I would also predict that there is not a residential kitchen you would be comfortable having as a food processing plant. Fine for fixing dinner. Making jerky from raw beef, deer or fish without preservatives? Not so much.

I get you. I understand. I've recently taken college science classes.

However, I find it -- I don't know the word, maybe Twilight Zone-ish -- to fish a year old McDonald's French fry off a car floor and discover it's in perfect condition. Never molded, nothing.

Wow, I thought my car was dirty, and all I have are old soda bottles and work documents, none from a year ago.

I am skeptical that the fry would be in perfect condition, but if you have consumed it, I guess I bow to your expertise.

I'm guessing you've never cleaned out a vehicle where little kids who eat in the car are riders. You can find fries that look perfect to the naked eye that you know have been in there a while. Now part of an apple, banana another story.

Looking and being are not the same. Over the winter I wouldn't expect anything to mold in my car, for example, but if I did find food (ugh, and like I said my car is filthy), I certainly would not pop it in my mouth.

IME, fast food fries (like other fries) aren't tasty at all if not hot, so I don't believe they are unchanged after a year. I have never eaten something that old, granted.

Recently I asked if I could use leftover candy from Halloween last year and got enough "no way, it would taste bad" that I tossed it. Speaking of processed things.

I'm not talking about eating old food, I specifically said that an old fast food french fry tucked under a car seat of months looks very much like one that came out of the grease fryer 15 minutes ago. You will see a different situation with fruits and vegetables.

No more, no less.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Having worked in a food research laboratory at Procter & Gamble's Food Research Center Winton Hill Technical Center I can say with pretty much confidence that food processing is not done to make the food more dangerous, less stable or more expensive. If they do it, it is to make the food safer, more long lasting, tastier or to comply with the bureaucrats. And, having cultured household kitchen surfaces to see what kind of mold and bacteria finds its way into containers after they have been opened in your kitchen, I would also predict that there is not a residential kitchen you would be comfortable having as a food processing plant. Fine for fixing dinner. Making jerky from raw beef, deer or fish without preservatives? Not so much.

However, I find it -- I don't know the word, maybe Twilight Zone-ish -- to fish a year old McDonald's French fry off a car floor and discover it's in perfect condition. Never molded, nothing.

Wow, I thought my car was dirty, and all I have are old soda bottles and work documents, none from a year ago.

I am skeptical that the fry would be in perfect condition, but if you have consumed it, I guess I bow to your expertise.

I'm guessing you've never cleaned out a vehicle where little kids who eat in the car are riders. You can find fries that look perfect to the naked eye that you know have been in there a while. Now part of an apple, banana another story.

Looking and being are not the same. Over the winter I wouldn't expect anything to mold in my car, for example, but if I did find food (ugh, and like I said my car is filthy), I certainly would not pop it in my mouth.

IME, fast food fries (like other fries) aren't tasty at all if not hot, so I don't believe they are unchanged after a year. I have never eaten something that old, granted.

Recently I asked if I could use leftover candy from Halloween last year and got enough "no way, it would taste bad" that I tossed it. Speaking of processed things.

I'm not talking about eating old food, I specifically said that an old fast food french fry tucked under a car seat of months looks very much like one that came out of the grease fryer 15 minutes ago. You will see a different situation with fruits and vegetables.

No more, no less.

And that is useless information in regards to the nutritional profile or safety of the ingredients used to prepare said french fry.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

What troubles me is coming down in the morning to clean up from a party and finding a bowl of un-melted ice cream on the table. Room temperature. Yikes!

In fact, it's normal for me (when I was eating ice cream regularly) to put it out for a bit to soften it for scooping (but not too much to cause ice crystals). So I call bogus on this.

. . .

I'd suggest you do a little research before calling another post "bogus."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5TMj4c5FE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqDoet_RtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU9M7fTlCa4

I'd suggest you do a little research before you call Bryer's "ice cream."

ETA: watching clickbaity youtube videos isn't research.

Here's a blog from someone that tested to see if the stories about Bryers not melting were true (not that blogs are any better than videos).
    Spoiler: Myth busted.

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/i-tested-to-see-if-it-is-true-that-breyers-ice-cream-doesn-t-melt

All of this!

Also, much better ice cream out there.

Watch the Consumer Reports link.

You ought to be a little more discriminating about posts you call bogus. You were wrong, of course, but you seem not to care. I was polite - this time. Nest timw you call one of my posts "bogus" I won't be.

Nope. The question was about "processing," and I've purchased ice cream from a grocery store lots of times (B&J, Jenis, Talenti, and other options) and it sure does melt. You claim a specific brand does not (which is not what you initially said), and others who have had that brand say that's bogus.

So I stand by my claim that "processed ice cream does not melt" is totally bogus. Maybe there is some bad kind of fake ice cream you bought that does not, but ice cream from the grocery store sure does.

I hate to say it, but it's more like Consumer Reports (among others) claimed that a specific brand didn't melt, that the inclusion of various gums was likely the reason, and that said gums weren't actually anything to be worried about with regards to health. I didn't watch the other two videos mind you. Wilson didn't mention any specific brands.

Said brand, for what it's worth, was Walmart's store brand. More specifically the ice cream in a specific ice cream sandwich.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »

What troubles me is coming down in the morning to clean up from a party and finding a bowl of un-melted ice cream on the table. Room temperature. Yikes!

In fact, it's normal for me (when I was eating ice cream regularly) to put it out for a bit to soften it for scooping (but not too much to cause ice crystals). So I call bogus on this.

. . .

Here's a blog from someone that tested to see if the stories about Bryers not melting were true (not that blogs are any better than videos).

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/i-tested-to-see-if-it-is-true-that-breyers-ice-cream-doesn-t-melt

My brother had a carton of Breyers sit in his sink because it had been forgotten there and it didn't melt.
    Myth....confirmed in his house
    I've had some wicked reactions to Breyers so i believe there is something in there that's not good for you

Even if it doesn't melt...how is that evidence that it's bad for you?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

. . .

All of this!

You ought to be a little more discriminating about posts you call bogus. You were wrong, of course, but you seem not to care. I was polite - this time. Nest timw you call one of my posts "bogus" I won't be.

Nope. The question was about "processing," and I've purchased ice cream from a grocery store lots of times (B&J, Jenis, Talenti, and other options) and it sure does melt. You claim a specific brand does not (which is not what you initially said), and others who have had that brand say that's bogus.

So I stand by my claim that "processed ice cream does not melt" is totally bogus. Maybe there is some bad kind of fake ice cream you bought that does not, but ice cream from the grocery store sure does.

Maybe they heard it from one of those "Blossom" videos. Or maybe it was astronaut ice cream. Does that melt? I have no clue, it just seems ~scientific~ for it to not melt, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBSzWmjXO0

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2019
    Have a son that lives in Wisconsin, you get some fantastic jerky from some of the small shops.
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I personally would not eat it as well. Though as you stated, I am biased. I grew up hunting and raising livestock, so I know how to make my own.

Wisconsin is a state of hunters.There are small shops that process meat from those hunters as well as processing their own meat to sell. They follow the same cleanliness standards as any butcher shop (large or small) is required to follow and are actually inspected more frequently (especially since CWD showed up a couple of decades ago). I would trust them over any large processing plant because they know exactly what went into their jerky.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

No more, no less.

And that is useless information in regards to the nutritional profile or safety of the ingredients used to prepare said french fry.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Based on the "car floor test", I guess tamari almonds must be bad for me, too, because they look fine months later. (Don't worry, not eating anything that's been on my car floor. Ever. Ugh. Gonna keep eating the non-floor almonds, though.)

If a food is bad for you, it's bad for you because it's bad for you in some definable way, not based on whether it melts at room temperature, or looks the same after months on the car floor, or has polysyllabic ingredients, or contains more than 5 ingredients, or any such arbitrary and capricious "test". And in most cases, whether a particular food is bad for you depends on dosage and context.

The jerky that started this whole silly digression is bad for OP because he needs to restrict sodium/salt. It would be bad for me because I'm vegetarian. It might be fine for someone else, but obviously not as a mono-diet.

Yes, exactly.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

. . .

All of this!

I hate to say it, but it's more like Consumer Reports (among others) claimed that a specific brand didn't melt, that the inclusion of various gums was likely the reason, and that said gums weren't actually anything to be worried about with regards to health. I didn't watch the other two videos mind you. Wilson didn't mention any specific brands.

Said brand, for what it's worth, was Walmart's store brand. More specifically the ice cream in a specific ice cream sandwich.

I think the context is important.

Someone claimed that processing is bad, based on the fact that a fast food fry found in his car looked the same after a year. The poster in question jumped in and said "if you think that's disturbing, how about ice cream not melting overnight." It sounded to me -- given the context -- that the claim was about processed ice cream in general, not merely one specific brand.

If the focus was one specific brand and specific ingredients that plenty of ice creams do not have (even if harmless, as you note), then I think that should have been mentioned. (And I appreciate your clarification of what the other poster was on about!)