fast food and weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat fast food often, but occasionally treat myself to a Cook Out tray, like tonight, when hubs is at a training class. A “big double” with cheese, onion rings and Diet Coke is 658 calories. Their “tray” kind of falls between a kids meal and a pig out, and is very tasty and filling. And for some thankfully wierd reason, onion rings are a lot less calories than fries. Maybe cuz it’s onions versus potatoes? I don’t know.

But I do regret that their marvelous old school hush puppies are generally off limits.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat a 450 calorie mc chicken for dinner and I'm still in a calorie deficit so there is no guilt! If you eat fast food, I suggest just skipping out on the fries as they are usually even more calorie dense than the main meal!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    CICO is all that matters for weight loss. Personally, I quit fast food because it makes me feel horrible and hungry fairly quick. Plus, the calories and sodium are outrageous. If I ever do eat it again, it will be something like chick fil a...love their sandwiches!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of responses are saying basically the same...CICO is all that matters, and I mostly agree with that.
    In my experience, fast food can be a fun treat or a great convenience. It is often very tasty too. I doubt I will ever completely stop eating fast food and I've had it weekly or so, for many years, even with losing over 130 lb and maintaining that successfully.

Like a lot of others, I usually bypass the fries and get an entree sandwich or pick things according to calorie counts. I never get a salad. I am 100% a hamburger and taco kind of gal when I'm dining out on the cheap/fast food side.

But... I think fast food can become a pretty bad habit, too. I think there are a lot of benefits to eating food that is cooked at home and so-called "whole foods" and it's less nutritious to just go to fast food spots every day of life. I think it's best to have fast food some of the time and other "slower food" MOST of the time. JMHO!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Long ago - before Jared - I lost 25 pounds eating mostly Subway and some Burger King, which were the two fast food joints within easy walking distance of my house. Also, there was a Taco Bell 3.5 miles from my house, so on Saturday mornings I would trek there, earn 700 or so cals, and eat it all LOL I loved (and to be honest, love, as in present tense) that kind of food.

We don't talk about Jared anymore :wink:

I don't avoid fast food, but certainly don't overindulge in it. After five years of MFP I have learned that dessert, sweets, snacks, fast food, can all be part of success. Just stay within your budget and if you don't...tomorrow is another day. There are going to be days where you can go crazy, holidays are hard not to, wing night for me is an important social thing and helps me de-stress.. I know when I am going out and skip lunch on those days. It limits the damage.