Options
13»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    @shorepine that's awesome! That's a pretty darn good burn for at the desk activity. Killer. I could use some warming up too... it's pretty chilly in my office. I usually put on my sweater and keep my hands under my butt periodically to keep my fingers warm when I'm not typing but this would be a lot more efficient!

@LivingtheLeanDream I have my own office where I could close my door and do some form of activity if I wanted to, but I really shouldn't do this too often because my superiors walk by often and may need my immediate assistance. Otherwise, no, our office is not very private in general and there isn't much open space. Your walking plan sounds good though!

@psychod787 you know, I always read your username as psychodr (as in psycho doctor) for some reason and even though that's obviously not your username, it kind of fits you... doesn't it? Apprentice... sorry, I'm no sidekick. I could use another partner in evil mischief though across the galaxy. It's getting kinda lonely messing stuff up on my own.

Someone else actually mentioned the idea of the weighted vest to me before. It's an interesting idea. I was thinking of using that for my calisthenics days to increase my resistance.

Recent work footage of me...https://youtu.be/shmWg8xKEGU

When you decide to get a partner in "mischief", hit me up.😏

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Have you read the book?

Surprisingly, no ma'am, I have not. I will put it on the listen list.
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    NicbPNW wrote: »
    What is NEAT?

As someone else pointed out, NEAT = Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis.

What it means is all the movements you tend to make throughout the day but don't notice. Basically any movement you make that isn't for the purpose of "exercise". Bouncing your knee while you sit, standing up and stretching occasionally, shaking your head, tapping your fingers on your desk. Things like that make up a pretty surprising amount of your calorie expenditure during a typical day.

And on another note, standing desks aren't going to do much for calorie expenditure. I think there was a study done that showed you burn about 0.15 calories a minute more standing. That means, on average, you'll burn 54 more calories if you spend 6 hours a day standing instead of sitting. Apparently our bodies are pretty efficient at standing. There may be other benefits to your health if you stand instead of sit but that's outside my area of knowledge.

Not true about the standing desk. They can burn up to 30% more calories vs sitting in some studies.

also its not just about the fact that you are standing that burns that extra .15cal a minute...but that when i'm standing i move more in general

Agreed.
    @shorepine that's awesome! That's a pretty darn good burn for at the desk activity. Killer. I could use some warming up too... it's pretty chilly in my office. I usually put on my sweater and keep my hands under my butt periodically to keep my fingers warm when I'm not typing but this would be a lot more efficient!

@LivingtheLeanDream I have my own office where I could close my door and do some form of activity if I wanted to, but I really shouldn't do this too often because my superiors walk by often and may need my immediate assistance. Otherwise, no, our office is not very private in general and there isn't much open space. Your walking plan sounds good though!

@psychod787 you know, I always read your username as psychodr (as in psycho doctor) for some reason and even though that's obviously not your username, it kind of fits you... doesn't it? Apprentice... sorry, I'm no sidekick. I could use another partner in evil mischief though across the galaxy. It's getting kinda lonely messing stuff up on my own.

Someone else actually mentioned the idea of the weighted vest to me before. It's an interesting idea. I was thinking of using that for my calisthenics days to increase my resistance.

Recent work footage of me...https://youtu.be/shmWg8xKEGU

When you decide to get a partner in "mischief", hit me up.😏

You're prrretty. <3

Edit: I will always need a partner in mischief, though it's an ongoing role that's difficult to fill properly. You up to the task?

Awww shucks....😊 shaved my legs that day and everything. Truth is, I have little fear I could "fill" the position. Question is, can you handle me?🤔
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    What is NEAT?

What it means is all the movements you tend to make throughout the day but don't notice. Basically any movement you make that isn't for the purpose of "exercise". Bouncing your knee while you sit, standing up and stretching occasionally, shaking your head, tapping your fingers on your desk. Things like that make up a pretty surprising amount of your calorie expenditure during a typical day.

And on another note, standing desks aren't going to do much for calorie expenditure. I think there was a study done that showed you burn about 0.15 calories a minute more standing. That means, on average, you'll burn 54 more calories if you spend 6 hours a day standing instead of sitting. Apparently our bodies are pretty efficient at standing. There may be other benefits to your health if you stand instead of sit but that's outside my area of knowledge.

Not true about the standing desk. They can burn up to 30% more calories vs sitting in some studies.

Is there something newer than this meta analysis, generally considered the most definitive type of article, that I based my statement on?

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2047487317752186
  • stwo1970
    stwo1970 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could do squats, side squats, reverse lunges, or walking lunges in your office.
  • shorepine
    shorepine Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    @ellie117 I am not entirely sure of the burn, it kind of feels like mild exercise. Like if I am walking on a flat surface. Depends on how vigorously I pedal but since I'm at work, it's hard to pedal too vigorously since I don't really want to be out of breath. The machine tells me I burn about 260/hour. I don't log it at all, I just consider it a bonus.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    What is NEAT?

Is there something newer than this meta analysis, generally considered the most definitive type of article, that I based my statement on?

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2047487317752186

Statement redacted... I can admit when I'm wrong.🤥
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,179 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    You know, going for walks in the cold isn't bad when you dress appropriately lol. Bring a hat and gloves, wear leggings underneath your pants etc. :)

Some people say there's no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. That said, I hate it when I'm on a multi-day raft trip and it's cold and raining the whole tine.

Some people say you expend more calories when you in a cold environment to maintain body temperature. If there's any truth to that, it should be minimal if you're bundled up so you can STAY WARM.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I also work a desk job 8-5 M-F
    I change at lunch and go on a run/walk/jog and then change back into my work clothes (I have an hour break and I also live across the street but you could still bring lunch and clothes with you depending on how long you have)
    I "workout" at my desk discreetly
    I work at a small company with not much room to walk around so I get it. If it's nice out I go walk around the parking lot. If it's too cold or bad weather, I will generally just walk in place somewhere discrete or walk around kinda aimlessly looking like a crazy person.
    I've found that just little things throughout the day help greatly

**No stairs in my building either so there's no "just take the stairs instead of the elevator"

Lucky you! It would be so convenient if my workplace was near home. I also have an hour break so I do have a bit of time to get in some activity. I usually would walk around while talking to my partner on the phone. I sometimes consider walking out in the cold but then I take a step outside and I'm like... nope!

I don't mind looking like a crazy person so supermarket, here I come!

Yeah, I don't do well in the cold.... at all. I'm a big ol' baby

Same here... what a baby I am. EXCEPT just now, I decided to go take a walk anyway. Only 20 minutes and then I started getting very cold but better than nothing! It was kind of nice actually.

I'm planning on maybe adding a short circuit of body weight exercises towards the later half of the day when I can't walk at all.

Well now I have to go be active in the cold too I guess..... thanks a lot LOL
    Heat wave today as it's 43 degrees, but still gross and cold to me

You're so very welcome. >:) <-- I don't mind being a "bad" good influence. ;)
    Whoa... how are you not sweating over there? We're at 36 today... I'll trade ya!

When I went for my hike today at lunch time the "feels like" temperature was 34 degrees.

If ya'll find the 30 and 40s too cold, you're not dressed properly ;)

I'll be out there down to the single digits.

I knew a guy who was a tug boat captain in New York who used to say, "There's no bad weather, just bad gear."

I could dress up thicker than the Michelin Man and still be cold :smile:

Have you been checked for medical conditions such as Raynaud's disease?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20363571