Recipe Calculator Problem

Just entered Chicken Broth recipe into calculator. Calls for 4 lbs chicken wings to be boiled then discarded. The recipe shows nutrition values for consuming the wings. Since they are not consumed but discarded after boiling what are the nutrition values I should use for this recipe?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited November 2019
    If you’re straining it, weigh everything you use in the recipe. Strain the broth. Weigh discarded items and subtract from original weight. There will be some fat to account for, but wings are pretty lean usually. Should be close.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Chicken wings have more fat per gram than other parts of the chicken (https://www.fsis.usda.gov/shared/PDF/Chicken_Turkey_Nutrition_Facts.pdf) The range of calories for homemade chicken broth that I have seen is 30-85 calories/8 oz - quite a difference. What I would do is chill the strained broth and then skim the (admittedly delicious) fat off the top. If you were to weigh that fat, you could probably estimate the fat calories in 8 oz without skimming the fat, and guesstimate accordingly.