Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do I have no sugar addicts in my office

2»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    This thread has taken the most unexpected turn possible. Period.

That's just the flow of conversation.

I'm just "red" with envy that you came up with this topic...

Really? I'm a bit anemic on this topic.

At least it doesn't have any pregnant pauses.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    This thread has taken the most unexpected turn possible. Period.

That's just the flow of conversation.

I'm just "red" with envy that you came up with this topic...

Really? I'm a bit anemic on this topic.

At least it doesn't have any pregnant pauses.

Guess I am 37 going on 14....lol
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    This thread is raising all kinds of red flags for me. :)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Perhaps your fellow co-workers are actually adults that find 'Skittles' and the like simply awful....
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    Your data doesn't speak to addiction, but it shows that people have a preference for sugar when it's mixed with a lovely fat, such as cocoa butter. Throw in the a bit of cocoa and-- shazam-- all the pleasure centers firing at once!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Your data doesn't speak to addiction, but it shows that people have a preference for sugar when it's mixed with a lovely fat, such as cocoa butter. Throw in the a bit of cocoa and-- shazam-- all the pleasure centers firing at once!

It indicates the issue is not specifically sugar.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Agreed. It also indicates that it is an issue of food preference, not addiction.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    They're not addicted to sugar, they're addicted to love:

https://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/chocolate-artificial-love/

And even more compelling evidence:

https://youtu.be/XcATvu5f9vE

On a related note, I have long maintained that he did, in fact, mean to turn me on.
  • yrguide
    yrguide Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Agreed. It also indicates that it is an issue of food preference, not addiction.

Does it? Why would you think this?

I would imagine we have all known people who smoke right? Does every smoker you know compulsively choose to have a cigarette every time they see a pack of cigarettes or see someone smoking?

What if they decide to bum a cigarette at a party? What does it indicate if someone who forgot their cigarettes chooses to decline a cigarette if someone offers them a menthol? Does it mean they are not addicted because they declined accepting a delivery method that they don't care for?

That's basically the argument you are making with your candy bowl analogy.