For you vanilla paste users - does this amount seem like too much?

kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
I've been reading up on vanilla paste and most articles say it should be used 1:1 for extract, so 2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste seems like a lot for this recipe - thoughts? https://www.rachelcooks.com/2017/11/08/mashed-sweet-potatoes/

Also, what are your favorite brands?

TIA.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    That seems like a lot to me! For only 4 Sweet Potatoes, especially!

If Vanilla Paste is the same in the States as it is here, 2 tbsps is going to be two little jars at least and very expensive apart from anything else! Proper vanilla bean paste is around £7 for a tiny jar here.

If you have them I think I’d try her suggestion of two split pods rather than that enormous amount of paste. Or start with a tsp and taste as you go.

My issue with sweet potato is counteracting the natural sweetness rather than adding to it, so I cannot even imagine adding all that sugary paste!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Its probably more like 2 teaspoons, vanilla paste is concentrated.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2019
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've been reading up on vanilla paste and most articles say it should be used 1:1 for extract, so 2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste seems like a lot for this recipe - thoughts? https://www.rachelcooks.com/2017/11/08/mashed-sweet-potatoes/

TIA.

That seems like WAY too much paste. If the paste is fresh, I would use 1:4 ratio to start. You can always add more, but you will not be able to remove once in there.

I agree with this. As I discovered when I first started using double strength vanilla extract there IS such a thing as too much vanilla.

I don't use vanilla paste because of the additives, especially the sugar or corn syrup, and the vanilla bean flecks are the leftover from the extraction process and add no flavor (which is why vanilla bean ice cream always has vanilla extract. The brown flecks are for show). When I am making something unbaked where I don't want the alcohol I use vanilla powder.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    Thanks all!
    earlnabby wrote: »

TIA.

That seems like WAY too much paste. If the paste is fresh, I would use 1:4 ratio to start. You can always add more, but you will not be able to remove once in there.

I agree with this. As I discovered when I first started using double strength vanilla extract there IS such a thing as too much vanilla.

I don't use vanilla paste because of the additives, especially the sugar or corn syrup, and the vanilla bean flecks are the leftover from the extraction process and add no flavor (which is why vanilla bean ice cream always has vanilla extract. The brown flecks are for show). When I am making something unbaked where I don't want the alcohol I use vanilla powder.

What brand of vanilla powder do you use?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Thanks all!
    earlnabby wrote: »

TIA.

What brand of vanilla powder do you use?

I get it from The Spice House.