Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Jacket sweet potatoes

cstandsforcoffeecstandsforcoffee Posts: 19Member Member Posts: 19Member Member
Anyone have recommendations for what to add to jacket sweet potatoes to make them a full meal? I used to add tahini or nut butter for breakfast. I was thinking a bean dip or even a fried egg might be good too? Just trying to be creative. I’d love to get in some protein and healthy fat.

Replies

• apullumapullum Posts: 4,477Member Member Posts: 4,477Member Member
    I put vegan chili on mine. I make batches of it in the crockpot so I always have some in the freezer. You can add avocado (or cheese if you’re not vegan) for more fat.
  • moonangel12moonangel12 Posts: 221Member, Premium Member Posts: 221Member, Premium Member
    I do a copy cat sweet potato from Jason’s Deli... add turkey (they used lunch meat type, but chunks of chicken or turkey works well), spinach (fresh), avocado, cheese, they used jalapeño ranch, cilantro... so good!
  • cstandsforcoffeecstandsforcoffee Posts: 19Member Member Posts: 19Member Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I only eat them at dinner, so protein (chicken, fish, pork or meat), and some fat are always present. I don't put anything on the sweet potatoes because I enjoy their natural taste. My husband sometimes add peach-mango salsa.

You may add some greek yogurt for added protein, and the egg sounds good too.
    I only eat them at dinner, so protein (chicken, fish, pork or meat), and some fat are always present. I don't put anything on the sweet potatoes because I enjoy their natural taste. My husband sometimes add peach-mango salsa.

Ooh Greek yogurt is a good idea!
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,222Member Member Posts: 3,222Member Member
    I've never tried it (out of forgetfulness) but I know of someone who puts black beans, spinach, and salsa on his. I might have to try that or something like it this week.
  • ReenieHJReenieHJ Posts: 286Member Member Posts: 286Member Member
    I like them plain but some of these ideas are making me want to buy some now. Glad this question was brought up!
  • bold_rabbitbold_rabbit Posts: 347Member Member Posts: 347Member Member
    Greek yogurt is awesome. So is hummus. I also like chili or soup (any thicker bean soup works). I usually add sauteed greens on the side or on top.
  • jwoolman5jwoolman5 Posts: 69Member Member Posts: 69Member Member
    Definitely sweet potato goes well with any kind of bean I've tried, just plain beans is fine for me but I assume ones in sauce would work also. Or veg in general.

I freeze slices of baked sweet potato and toss them into the bowl with other frozen veg and protein food such as beans. Good with rice also. Haven't yet found a combination that I didn't like.

I've also eaten a whole baked sweet potato by itself for a quick small breakfast, with or without some fat like coconut oil. They are nice cold or hot. They should be good with any sausage-like protein as well, I should try them with veggie sausage sometime.

I can't eat the egg or dairy ingredients in pumpkin pie any more and am not into making the nonallergenic versions I've seen in recipes over the years, but am thinking of getting my pumpkin pie fix just by mashing up baked sweet potato and adding the right spices, maybe with a little coconut oil. Maple syrup is supposed to be especially good with them if they aren't sweet enough, but anything would do.
  • yayamom3yayamom3 Posts: 883Member Member Posts: 883Member Member
    This is my favorite way to eat a sweet potato. Adding Mexican flavors keeps the potato from tasting too sweet (which is why I used to think I didn't like them). I omit the onions and top it with a large handful of shredded lettuce. This meal is so incredibly filling and satisfying.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/loaded-baked-sweet-potato/
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 3,555Member Member Posts: 3,555Member Member
    "Jacket sweet potato" = whole baked sweet potato? I don't ever eat them that way, as I prefer the way they roast when chopped into smaller pieces and don't think I'd want a whole sweet potato (they are often quite large), but for me the key would be something with a contrasting taste. If not meat or an egg as part of it, I'd need something spicy. A spicy chili is a nice idea, whether with beans, meat, or both. (For me they are just a little too sweet which limits how much of one I enjoy, although I enjoy them as sides with other meals, and something like a sweet potato and black bean soup, which I would also make somewhat spicy.)
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 20,226Member Member Posts: 20,226Member Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    "Jacket sweet potato" = whole baked sweet potato? I don't ever eat them that way, as I prefer the way they roast when chopped into smaller pieces and don't think I'd want a whole sweet potato (they are often quite large), but for me the key would be something with a contrasting taste. If not meat or an egg as part of it, I'd need something spicy. A spicy chili is a nice idea, whether with beans, meat, or both. (For me they are just a little too sweet which limits how much of one I enjoy, although I enjoy them as sides with other meals, and something like a sweet potato and black bean soup, which I would also make somewhat spicy.)

Now I want a chopped sweet potato, roasted with a little oil and some spices, and an egg...
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 3,555Member Member Posts: 3,555Member Member
    I think fried egg works great with that, plus some veg. The yolk pairs very well.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 12,704Member Member Posts: 12,704Member Member
    Black beans taste great with sweet potato. I vote you cook the potato, cut a lengthwise slit almost end to end, squoosh it to make a li'l trough, add heated black beans, a hearty dollop of plain Greek yogurt, and some salsa. Yum.
  • middlehaitchmiddlehaitch Posts: 8,169Member Member Posts: 8,169Member Member
    I think fried egg works great with that, plus some veg. The yolk pairs very well.

For me asparagus makes the perfect threesome. A little lime or Parmesan sprinkled over the top.

A bed of spinach, the heat of the egg and sweet potato slightly wilting it, and a chutney or peanut sauce for dressing is a close second.

I know what my Wednesday dinner is now, thanks.

Cheers, h.
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,222Member Member Posts: 3,222Member Member
    "Jacket sweet potato" = whole baked sweet potato? I don't ever eat them that way, as I prefer the way they roast when chopped into smaller pieces and don't think I'd want a whole sweet potato (they are often quite large)

I specifically buy sweet potatoes and yams that aren't massive because I prefer eating a whole one. I also definitely stopped by the store to get spinach so I could put it in yams this afternoon.
  • bold_rabbitbold_rabbit Posts: 347Member Member Posts: 347Member Member
    I forgot in my earlier post cause I can't have spicy food anymore, but any kind of Indian saucy food (dal, curry, etc) is great on sweet potatoes. The kind sold in pouches work really well. My husband says the ones at Trader Joe's are very good and the price is reasonable.
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Posts: 1,822Member Member Posts: 1,822Member Member
    Black beans on sweet potatoes is like peanut butter and jelly to me. I'll probably put the black bean chili I made in the Instant pot on a sweet potato for breakfast with the salsa verde I made over the top, yum! Also love baked apples and sweet potato with Greek yogurt and cinnamon but that's more of a dessert.
  • missysippy930missysippy930 Posts: 1,574Member Member Posts: 1,574Member Member
    When I make them, I usually have half at two separate meals. Like them with a little butter and flake salt.