does anyone have a personal trainer abs are the more efficient to reaching your goal?

2»

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Sometimes we just like a lively discussion -
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    I ended up getting some training for a student program designed to help people who were uncomfortable in the gym as long as we also agreed to participate in a study. I have found it incredibly motivating.

While I saw the trainer once a week, I made an effort to keep to the goals I set and replicate my routine at least once if not twice. Before then I wasn’t going. It turned the gym into a commitment and a challenge rather than just a scary place where I felt uncomfortable and embarrassed. Now I’m drowning in assignments and I’m not going but I’m done in a few days and I will be going back. And now I think I know what to do somewhat.

I think it depends what your goals are: if you think you could benefit from guidance or motivation or accountability & goal-setting with an expert it might be worthwhile!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,731 Member
    Some folks might brush this guy aside if they saw him and didn't know anything else about him.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rippetoe
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    It really depends on you and your goals. If you think you would be better off with a trainer... if you feel lost, overwhelmed, need guidance, you might need that extra push and accountability, go for it.

Me personally I never had one nor needed one. I do follow programs and received help/advice from coaches/trainers with specific things, but otherwise I go about it on my own and that works best for me. I think if I ever wanted to compete (in powerlifting or bodybuilding) I would consider it. However there are very few trainers I trust so it would definitely cost me.
  • Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Some folks might brush this guy aside if they saw him and didn't know anything else about him.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rippetoe

I was almost at the end of the thread and had just got my 'Rip' link sorted but you have beaten me to it.. :wink: ) !

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    OP, in your case, if you're not sure where to begin, aren't sure on form, haven't had training in proper technique and putting together a routine around your goals, then working with a trainer would probably be a worthwhile investment.

After the basics, it's going to depend on your goals, personal knowledge, experience, etc. For example, I've used trainers a couple times to help me put together a program for my sport - I sought out trainers, however, who are familiar with what it takes to do what I do, since there are a lot of - misconceptions - if someone isn't familiar with the particulars. Their training plans, combined with my my own requests was very helpful. I didn't work out with them, just had them help me put together specific exercises/combinations to do what I already knew I wanted.

For someone without specific goals, there are plenty of online resources to help you put something together if you're familiar with general form and technique to avoid injury.