Macros for fat loss

Hi All - Anish here
Restarted tracking using the app and will be getting a new Fitbit Versa 2 to stay on top of things. My goal is to reduce overall body fat and increase strength as my weight is already in the zone I want it.
Any good suggestions for macro breakdowns are welcome.
I'm 47 and weigh in at 176 pounds - fat level is over 20% according to my crappy scale.
My strategy is to reduce overall calories for a couple of weeks (~25%) and then switch back to maintenance and rinse repeat. The next deficit would be a tad lower all while keeping my activity level consistent. That includes training three times with weights per week and one day of HIIT in-between.

Replies

• ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 203 Member
    Sounds like you have a plan. Are you watching any of the folks on YouTube? One thing that I am doing is using Intermittent Fasting and eating all of my calories in only an 8 hour window (i.e., 16 hours are spent not eating/ working out). I started following Thomas Delauer on YouTube if you would like to know more.
  • nishi911trini
    nishi911trini Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2019
    I am also doing intermittent fasting using a 14/10 split. Thomas is great and he plus the myriad of others like Dr. Berg bring a lot to the table. There is a lot of great info to filter through on Youtube and I spend way too much time there :-)
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    The most important macro for what you're trying to accomplish is protein; adequate protein will ensure you're limiting the amount of muscle lost when losing weight. Typical recommendation is at least 1g/1lb lean body mass, so in your case ~150g. 50g fat is considered the minimum for healthy brain and hormone function. That's 600 calories protein, 450 fat. Fill the rest with whatever you'd like.
  • nishi911trini
    Protein is a bit of a struggle for me, but I will supplement with some protein shakes to get up to this level. I have cut back on red meat especially and want to ensure my cholesterol does not get spiked along the way. The new part of this for me is getting in healthy fats such as nuts, and healthy oils.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    High protein foods are preferred due to being more nutritionally rounded (vitamins, minerals, etc) but nothing wrong with using protein shakes to up the protein - I'll usually have at least 3 a day during my cutting phases and take a daily multivitamin.

Nuts are a good source of healthy fat and protein, as are avocados. Fish oil is also a healthy fat and will help with getting adequate omegas, which are lacking in most diets. Pills can be found fairly cheap.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    amaha26 wrote: »
    Protein is a bit of a struggle for me, but I will supplement with some protein shakes to get up to this level. I have cut back on red meat especially and want to ensure my cholesterol does not get spiked along the way. The new part of this for me is getting in healthy fats such as nuts, and healthy oils.

Another good source of protein ideas is the spreadsheet linked to this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories. Find foods you enjoy on the list, eat a little more of those, less of something else that isn't helping you meet your goals as well.
  • nishi911trini
    edited December 2019
    Thanks AnnPT77 ;-)