Just started Keto with time restricted eating, need tips and info

2»

Replies

• TimothyPhoenix
    TimothyPhoenix Posts: 79 Member
    For the sake of your long term success I think you should track your calories and weigh yourself daily for a couple of months until you can see the connection between what you eat and what you weigh. Be accurate, be diligent and you'll have invaluable insight you can apply to any way of eating you like.

Calories always matter but many find themselves falling into an eating pattern that causes them to spontaneously eat less (even though it feels like they're eating more). Others think they're in a calorie deficit because they're losing water weight which is masking the fact they're weight stable or possibly gaining--and in the short term that is actually fine if it helps them adjust to the diet and in the long term they end up eating at a deficit. Those changes can be hard to spot or understand what is really happening if you've never tracked your weight and logged your food.

There's a lot of shoulds and need-to's surrounding low carb but you can safely ignore most of it. You don't need to force feed salt, water or fat. Season your food to taste, drink to thirst and eat to your appetite (unless you have an eating disorder). If you feel poorly, especially in the beginning, more salt is almost always the answer but there's no need to force it for most (because we eat things like cottage cheese and sausage).

Restrict your carbs, don't restrict your protein and keep the added fats to the minimum needed to make your food delicious and satisfying and you should be good to go. Best wishes to you.

P.S.

1. You can eat too much fat and calories.
    2. You're not going to eat too much protein and it's the one macro you shouldn't restrict.
    3. Carbs generally under 50g is all you need for ketosis. Some prefer as few carbs as possible and others like to eat every single carb they can up to their limit. Either is fine.
    4. Eat when you're hungry. Many find they gradually end up eating two meals a day.

Thank you, all very helpful stuff.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

-Can you eat too much fat and calories on Keto
    In some places I am seeing you should still eat in moderation, in others I have read that as long as you stick to the diet you can eat as much as you want.

-Can you eat too much protein on Keto
    Again, I have seen yes and no answers to this.

-Should you simply keep your daily carb intake as low as you can, or is there a range of carbs per day you should aim for

Since the Ketogenic diet is 70% fats, 5% carbohydrates, and 25% protein. Yes, you can eat too much, or too little, of any of the 3 macros.

You lose fat by eating fewer calories than you burn so yes, you can eat too many calories on keto.