Favorite Holiday Cookies/Treats???

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I just realized the title includes treats. Aside of cookies I look forward to peppermint ice cream every year. Going to Trader Joe's right before Christmas is expensive as I love peppermint even more than pumpkin spice!

Speaking of peppermint and Trader Joe's, these are seasonal AFAIK:

41G-nXaFQ-L.jpg

They are like an Oreo with a dark chocolate coating plus peppermint. My sister gave me a box one year and I ate most of it on the drive home. Nom nom nom.
  • kshama2001
    I know this just covers the USA, but it was fun to look at. Maybe someone else can post one for other regions of the world.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/609816/most-popular-christmas-cookie-each-state

For me, it's poppy seed rolls like my grandma made. Haven't had one in many years, though.

My state's favorite is "sugar cookie M&M bars" which I've never even heard of, lol. Looks festive.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/sugar-cookie-mms-bars/3e143dd9-04af-4cf8-80d9-980fb2a57867

d68cde24-a3b6-4e7c-8522-1d84eb080b0d.jpg
  • kshama2001
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    fwojnn228zsp.png

I've never made them-but will be making some this next week - I'm going to add dried cherries or cranberries and coconut flakes too on top too.

Personally, I always love spicy gingerbread cookies and my mom's sugar cookies with buttercream...mind you, I just love cookies...most all of them...

I made something similar with leftover graham crackers, but noticed the recipes in my Joy of Cooking had you make a shortbread crust, and that's probably what I would do next time.

I used Great Value butterscotch chips and didn't like the artificial aftertaste. Will spring for Guittard next time.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    surprised nobody has mentioned this classic...

mzyxb554pcdk.jpg

Ah yes, I love chocolate peppermint!

I much prefer After Eights. My mom only ever bought them around Christmas time.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    I have two favorites that I wait all year for.
    1. White Chocolate oreos. (Yes I know I can make them at home. They don't taste the same)
    2. Sugar Cookie Pop Tart. I just love these!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

mzyxb554pcdk.jpg

How about Andes mints? So good!
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Spritz cookies!!!

I never knew what these were called! My dad made these and a dozen other cookie varieties every Christmas for ages (his mom before him, and now my sister has continued the tradition). These were always my favorite - he made the tree-shaped ones and dyed them green.

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

mzyxb554pcdk.jpg

I LOVE ANDES
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

mzyxb554pcdk.jpg

That's because I wasn't here earlier :tongue:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Also, these from Aldi. I may have bought 6 packages today, with plans to go back for more...

ljafacknnw5j.png
  • pancakerunner
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Also, these from Aldi. I may have bought 6 packages today, with plans to go back for more...

ljafacknnw5j.png

These are a childhood classic... love with a mug of coffee
    hev0lny3wggt.png
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member

mzyxb554pcdk.jpg

Definitely love Andes, but the After Eights scream Christmas to me because childhood association, you know?
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Snickerdoodle.. I'd be a happy camper.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I just realized the title includes treats. Aside of cookies I look forward to peppermint ice cream every year. Going to Trader Joe's right before Christmas is expensive as I love peppermint even more than pumpkin spice!

Speaking of peppermint and Trader Joe's, these are seasonal AFAIK:

41G-nXaFQ-L.jpg

They are like an Oreo with a dark chocolate coating plus peppermint. My sister gave me a box one year and I ate most of it on the drive home. Nom nom nom.

These look awesome! There's something about Trader Joe's that makes me devour food on the way home, I put everything in the trunk now. I used to open triple ginger cookies or the peanut butter cups on the way home.

Peppermint everything rocks, I'd pick some of TJ peppermint options like peppermint Joe Joe's or actual peppermint bark over Ghirardelli but I would not turn it down!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »
    we always called them "easy-do squares" growing up, because they're so easy to make. My mom makes them every year. These are essentially what they are: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-cheese-bars/

Never made this before, but I see that changing very soon.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    My daughter makes a peanut butter pie and a cinnamon roll cake that are to die for (two different desserts, not all rolled together in one :D ). I look forward to them all year long
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »
    we always called them "easy-do squares" growing up, because they're so easy to make. My mom makes them every year. These are essentially what they are: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-cheese-bars/

Never made this before, but I see that changing very soon.

Indeed, those look dangerously easy.
  • Gia6280
    Gia6280 Posts: 47 Member
    My homemade Cucidate, a Sicilian Fig cookie. A pain to make but oh so delicious. Just finished a big batch
  • kshama2001
    My latest email from Whole Foods says, "Forget holiday cookies — holiday cheese is where it's at. And 12 funky favorites are half off 12/‌12 – 12‌/23.1 Plus, Prime members get an extra 10% off. Get the lineup, plus our best wine, beer and accoutrement pairings."

https://holiday.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes-and-tips/must-have-holiday-cheeses/

December 12: Roth Pavino

Rich, earthy, medium-firm Alpine cheese with notes of sweet hazelnut. Exclusive to Whole Foods Market.

Wine: Cloudveil Pinot Gris
    Beer: Doppelbock
    Accoutrement: Dalmatia Organic Fig Spread
    Cracker: Apricot, Fig and Lemon Lesley Stowe Raincoast Crisps

2_RothPavino.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    My latest email from Whole Foods says, "Forget holiday cookies — holiday cheese is where it's at. And 12 funky favorites are half off 12/‌12 – 12‌/23.1 Plus, Prime members get an extra 10% off. Get the lineup, plus our best wine, beer and accoutrement pairings."

https://holiday.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes-and-tips/must-have-holiday-cheeses/

December 12: Roth Pavino

Rich, earthy, medium-firm Alpine cheese with notes of sweet hazelnut. Exclusive to Whole Foods Market.

Wine: Cloudveil Pinot Gris
    Beer: Doppelbock
    Accoutrement: Dalmatia Organic Fig Spread
    Cracker: Apricot, Fig and Lemon Lesley Stowe Raincoast Crisps

2_RothPavino.jpg

Roth makes a mean cheese.