You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Thin Privilege or Lifestyle Consequences

124»

Replies

• kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 21,176Member Member Posts: 21,176Member Member
    YouTube offered me this:

He's a lot calmer.

I lost interest after 2 minutes.
  • Sunshine_And_SandSunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320Member Member Posts: 1,320Member Member
    The guy in the video is annoying and all the anger seems excessive. I also think the shirt he was wearing and plugged is offensive. It’s not ok to make fun of a disability even if it was mostly caused by the person’s own choices.
    BUT, I do pretty much agree with the things he’s saying. I’m not sure “thin privilege” is a thing, at least not in the way I tend to hear the word “privilege” thrown out; something you benefit from that you didn’t earn/were just born into. For example, I was born a white female. If that gives me any benefits, I didn’t do anything to earn them. However, I don’t think that’s the case for the majority of thin people. They earned that, either by working hard and losing weight or if they were always thin, doing something (purposely not overeating most of the time, staying active, etc) to stay thin. I suppose if you look at “privilege” as just a benefit you get because of whatever reason (earned or not) you could call it privilege but that’s just not how I usually see the word being used.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 368Member Member Posts: 368Member Member
    It's not simple. I won't say that there is or isn't such a thing as thin privilege, but what I do know is that the reason that I'm only losing weight now at 46 is because my ex was deep in food addiction, and if I didn't eat with him, he'd rage at me and be furious at me for days. He wouldn't let me use the vehicle to go work out or go to yoga classes.

Interesting how when I left him and got with supportive people, my diet could instantly start working for me, hm? Current partners are fine with me saying, "You two can have cookies, but I'm not," and with me taking the car every morning and going to the gym before they wake up. They're good with me making the food that works for me, and support the idea of me having less weight to lug around. That's what has made all the difference. Now, I am hypothyroid. I suspect that when we get that settled (there's a lump. At some point someone will call and tell me when to show up to get it biopsied, and we'll go from there) I will lose more and faster. My ADHD medication also has a side effect of weight loss, and that doesn't bother me. But this is just as much an environmental issue as it is a medical one, at least for me.
  • mewicklamewickla Posts: 54Member Member Posts: 54Member Member
    I don't know that I would consider most of these particular instances to be Thin Privilege but it is hard to take his arguments into serious consideration when it seems that nearly half of them were "This didn't happen to me when I was fat so it's absolutely not a thing."
  • BeGrandLikeBeGrandLike Posts: 187Member Member Posts: 187Member Member
    Oh, ffs.

Are there ways in which people treat people worse if they're larger? Yes, of COURSE there are. We KNOW people can be mean, and we KNOW people can be really mean to larger people and to look down on them.

Are there also some health consequences to being really obese? I ain't a doctor but people who ARE doctors tell me there are.

Not everything had to be either/or.

Having a body that is unhealthy? SUCKS.
    Being reminded of that every time you try and sit down or buy clothes or fasten a seatbelt? SUCKS.
    Having other people look down on you for the shape of your body? SUCKS.
  • runzfromzombiesrunzfromzombies Posts: 18Member Member Posts: 18Member Member
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I like Alan Roberts and EDDF.
    aokoye wrote: »
    It's as if medical and/or mental health professionals who have PhDs can't have opinions that are seperate from their practice/the practice they're working in.

I have to disagree with you on this one. I have a PhD (in chemistry) and am paid to render professional opinions. People make decisions and deploy assets based on my conclusions. I know how important facts are and how damaging unsubstantiated opinion can be.

When you are in a position where you are paid for your professional opinion (which doctors/mental health professionals definitely are too) you can't deal in anecdotal reports, they lower your credibility. Do I have opinions on things? Sure, but if I don't have the facts behind me I don't say them out loud. Even if the doctor he references was writing in good faith, she's lowering her credibility.

My husband has a PhD in Biomedical Science and agrees with you whole heartedly. Given the fact his research can and will affect those for whom he's doing the research, his opinions do not matter, only numbers based on his reporting.
  • runzfromzombiesrunzfromzombies Posts: 18Member Member Posts: 18Member Member
    NormInv wrote: »
    although i agree with this fella mostly, he is way too angry and emotional, its like he has unresolved baggage from his fat days, its like he actually believes in thin privilege.....you know like some closeted gay people are so strongly against gay people

Exactly. Those who are most guilty point the finger and yell the loudest to deflect attention elsewhere.