fast or slow cardio?

Options
Evamutt
Evamutt Posts: 2,431 Member
Can someone tell me if I'd get the same benefit on the treadmill if I went slower, about 2.1-2.5 with an elevation of about 7 as I do going 3.6 with lower elevation (.5-1.0)? My HR is about the same. I don't do well with almost jogging due to knee injuries. It would make sense that it would be beneficial due to the HR but I'd like input from more experienced members

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact conversion, but it would probably work out to more or less the same. You burn more calories walking on an Incline than you do walking on flat surface, so it probably makes up for the speed differential.
  • JTMoney2019
    JTMoney2019 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As long as your HR is hitting outside of easy zone you should be good.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,431 Member
    Options
    thank you, appreciate it
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    There's no benefit re-injuring your knee. That's the #1 thing to consider. Everyone else had already covered the rest.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    FWIW, heart rate is pretty much irrelevant. It has more to do with the amount of work you are doing. Running at any pace gives you similar calorie burns (mass over distance, not time). Same with walking. To make your body do more work adding an incline is a good. You could also add some sort of weight vest to increase your mass.

Good luck.