Onslaught of New Gym Members

Options
123457»

Replies

  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you're there, and they're there, the only difference between you two is that one is a cry baby...

    At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs...
    I don't think that's fair. If a person is using the equipment all wrong -- lounging on it for long periods of time, for example -- then I can't blame other people for getting annoyed.

    Curling in the squat rack is a perfect example. Could other gym habitues "figure something else out"? Perhaps, but this would require settling for a greatly inferior alternative to the barbell squat. I wouldn't blame them at all for feeling frustrated.

    Yeah but you see what you did here, you completely reframed the discussion under the assumption that all gym noobies have poor gym etiquette...

    No, I didn't. In fact, I said absolutely nothing about newbies.

    I was addressing the following specific claim:

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    My point is that it's not necessarily unreasonable for someone to complain about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment. It most certainly does NOT mean that such a person is "the one who least belongs."

    So then just who were you referring to?
    Because this discussion is about gym noobies, is it not?

    As I said, I was addressing the statement that you made. Let me quote it again for your benefit and convenience.

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    That statement draws no distinction between newbies and veterans... and neither do I. In other words, my objection applies regardless of how long somebody has been going to the gym. It applies to everyone.
    You can't go on this little tirade about gym noobies not using equipment properly and then backtrack once it no longer serves your argument
    And as I said in the post that you responded to, I said nothing about "noobies." The truth or falsehood of your statement is not contingent on whether somebody is a newbie or not.

    I have pointed this out twice in a row now. Perhaps we can save some time if you tell me how many times it should be explained before you realize that I didn't say a single thing about newbies. Or that the veracity of that statement isn't dependent on how long somebody has been working out.

    OK great then... I'm glad we can both agree that the problem is not gym noobies, but rather inconsiderate people with poor gym etiquette...

    Bless the noobies, and let's all make them feel welcome... We were all noobies somewhere at some point in our lives... ✌🏼💕

    Again, I think going out of your way to identify some people as "noobies" and to welcome them (maybe they just moved to town, maybe they normally go at a different time but are trying to avoid the crowds) is much more likely to make many of them feel uncomfortable than just ignoring them, as most of us likely do.

    Of course, if someone asks me a question, I'm happy to answer it. But that's not common, just as I never had a reason to ask random people questions when I first joined this gym.

    Complaining generally about crowds this time of year is NOT anti-newbie.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you're there, and they're there, the only difference between you two is that one is a cry baby...

    At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs...
    I don't think that's fair. If a person is using the equipment all wrong -- lounging on it for long periods of time, for example -- then I can't blame other people for getting annoyed.

    Curling in the squat rack is a perfect example. Could other gym habitues "figure something else out"? Perhaps, but this would require settling for a greatly inferior alternative to the barbell squat. I wouldn't blame them at all for feeling frustrated.

    Yeah but you see what you did here, you completely reframed the discussion under the assumption that all gym noobies have poor gym etiquette...

    No, I didn't. In fact, I said absolutely nothing about newbies.

    I was addressing the following specific claim:

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    My point is that it's not necessarily unreasonable for someone to complain about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment. It most certainly does NOT mean that such a person is "the one who least belongs."

    So then just who were you referring to?
    Because this discussion is about gym noobies, is it not?

    As I said, I was addressing the statement that you made. Let me quote it again for your benefit and convenience.

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    That statement draws no distinction between newbies and veterans... and neither do I. In other words, my objection applies regardless of how long somebody has been going to the gym. It applies to everyone.
    You can't go on this little tirade about gym noobies not using equipment properly and then backtrack once it no longer serves your argument
    And as I said in the post that you responded to, I said nothing about "noobies." The truth or falsehood of your statement is not contingent on whether somebody is a newbie or not.

    I have pointed this out twice in a row now. Perhaps we can save some time if you tell me how many times it should be explained before you realize that I didn't say a single thing about newbies. Or that the veracity of that statement isn't dependent on how long somebody has been working out.

    OK great then... I'm glad we can both agree that the problem is not gym noobies, but rather inconsiderate people with poor gym etiquette...

    Bless the noobies, and let's all make them feel welcome... We were all noobies somewhere at some point in our lives... ✌🏼💕

    Can we also agree that it's wrong to say that "the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs"? Often that person has a legitimate reason to complain. That is the point I was making, after all.

    We can agree to disagree 😂...
    How about that

    I'm going to stand by that statement

    But I will agree with you that people who lay about the equipment and are unwilling to share it are part of the problem

    Then you've just proven my point. People who complain about being unable to use a piece of equipment, by your own tacit admission, are NOT necessarily being unreasonable. Especially with such behavior being fairly common.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If it helps at all I listen to an audiobook on my headphones as I find I concentrate more than music, ergo less concentration on other people. Good luck x
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just went to my new corporate gym yesterday...holy *kitten* balls! I've been working in a small privately owned studio gym for years and forgot about the crowds and how massive they can truly be. I'm sure it'll all die down by the end of February, so I'll stick it out for the price and amenities...but going back to the studio gym is tempting right now.

    I'm still working with my trainer on Fridays at the studio gym, but the cost of training combined with private use of the studio (basically a really good home gym setup) just got to be too much...not to mention it's a bit out of the way since we moved, so it's easy to be driving home from work and just say *kitten* it sometimes.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My gym was pretty quiet today. Is the wave receding?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't seem much more crowded than usual in the 8-830a-ish just pre-work time slot. (Although they might just all be upstairs on the hampster wheels).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    And it was pretty close to dead last Sunday morning
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Mine doesn't seem much more crowded than usual in the 8-830a-ish just pre-work time slot. (Although they might just all be upstairs on the hampster wheels).

    I would think by 8 or 8:30, most people working a standard schedule would already be at work?
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    MPDean wrote: »
    Think of it as an exchange programme. Many "gym" types make their only visits to bars in December and the "bar" types make their only visits to gyms during January.

    This is so true! I found myself enjoying a lot more "fun social time" at bars alot more in December....happens every year lol!
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are your resolution crowds gone? My gym was a ghost town this morning.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Are your resolution crowds gone? My gym was a ghost town this morning.

    The drop away date is typically Valentine's Day.

    "This year, it's a brand new me !!!! ..... until Valentine's Day."
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Are your resolution crowds gone? My gym was a ghost town this morning.

    My gym is always crowded 365 days a year.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I hope all new people are welcomed at the gym and treated with encouragement and kindness.

    How do you know who is new or not? 🤷🏼‍♀️🧐🤔
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,713 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the crowd is thinning out now. The ellipticals and treadmills still have more people but the weights aren't as crowded. The first weeks all the regulars disappeared but they're turning up again. It's sad seeing less people, I'm lucky last year's resolutions stuck.
  • Urun4me
    Urun4me Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I kind of like a filled gym. I don't like not being able to get a bench or having to wait for showers (which for me only happens during the absolute peak time and only for about 15 minutes), but I'd rather have more people than none. It's kind of a nice feeling to be running on the treadmill and have almost all of the treadmills and other cardio equipment taken. Plus the people watching is much more interesting with people who don't know what they're doing.