What diet tips work for you? Let's share

Replies

• kbk1335
    kbk1335 Posts: 67 Member
    Basana0909 wrote: »
    Kbk what is Acv ?! I need an appetite suppressant

Acv is apple cider vinegar! Mix a tbspn of it with a tall glass of water.
  • holli1ch
    holli1ch Posts: 673 Member
    Wednesday
    Hump day
    1/2 way through the work week day

Exercise day!

Great eating day!

We CAN do this day!
  • holli1ch
    holli1ch Posts: 673 Member
    dmqcksopo9xy.jpg
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    By far the things that matter/mattered most for me both for losing and then maintaining (not saying for anyone else):

No snacking between meals (dessert immediately after dinner which I do occasionally counts as dinner)

Cook most meals and make leftovers for lunches and dinner if I get home late/am feeling like I don't want to cook

No seconds (but for rare occasion) -- I put on my plate what I intend to eat and everything left is planned for leftovers.

This is exercise more than diet, but walk whenever possible (including back and forth on the train platform when waiting for my train)

When I get out of these habits I tend to gain, when I go back to them I tend to lose or maintain (depending on the weight I'm at and how active I'm being otherwise).
  • I am recognizing that a disordered relationship with food is something that I am going to have to treat with lifestyle changes for the rest of my life. Just like I treat my hypothyroidism and my fibromyalgia. And I can either throw a tantrum about it or I can get on with living around my conditions. I know how to do that already. Eating a certain way is part of this treatment. So viewing it this way means that I'm not going to put myself on an eating plan that is punitive or unsupportable. It needs to be something I can do for the next fifty years.
  • syeda2007
    syeda2007 Posts: 23 Member
    I don’t restrict anything anymore, as long as it’s within my calorie intake, I’ll take something I fancy and try to make a healthier version of it or just dissect what I’m really lacking like fats, protein or carbs, I like to track sugars until I’m at a steady amount but nothing that will spike me and ruin my metabolism
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    * PROTEIN
    * ... carbs are not your enemy, however. Just make them more complex and full of fiber when possible.
    * Water. Tea. Coffee. Diet Soda. Avoid the fruit juice.
    * Fat can actually be your friend!!! (It keeps me not hungry in addition to being delicious. Just pick your fat smartly)
    * If you watch what you eat you don't actually have to exercise really hard in order to lose weight.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Detailed planning keeps me eating right - a Google doc spreadsheet with the contents of my kitchen basically, then a tab with days of the week and meals on it. I know what I have and can make, and plan meals out a couple of days in advance. I can add stuff to my phone Reminders app for a shopping list. Just keeps rolling along. I also have a tab where I put quantities and cook times and stuff of things I eat often, and a tab for ideas I see around that I want to try, so I can dip in there if I am not able to think of what I want.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    edited January 2020
    Hunger isn't pain and it doesn't hurt so no need for a quick fix.

Takeaways are a waste of money, get off your backside and cook woman.

NEAT, clean the house and walk the dog.

Eat beans, lots of beans.

(me talking to myself)
  • ssorg9
    ssorg9 Posts: 30 Member
    My M-F pre-dinner eating is very regimented & planned.Since I'm at work during that time, I only eat what I bring. I do keep some of the healthy option cookies around in case I get a craving or there is some sort of social eating thing that happens at work.
    I have a list of 5 breakfasts that I always eat. I also keep a list of snack foods that I use at home to help me dial in my needs when I need something.
    Totally agree on the need for water while eating.
  • JennJ323 wrote: »
    I think meal prepping is my biggest "tip."

It saves you so many calories, money and time spent! I take an hour (or less) out of my Sunday to prep my weekday breakfasts & lunches, then I'm able to just grab a container and am out the door in the morning without putting any thought into it. I also meal plan ahead of time, so I know what I'll be having (usually plan our whole month for dinner and plan my breakfast & lunches a few weeks at a time) how many calories each meal will be. It sounds tedious, but has become second nature and I enjoy being organized and prepared.

I started meal planning to deal with the brain fog and fatigue of fibromyalgia. It made life easier if I knew what I was cooking, because I could defrost something or put something in marinade, etc. and that way it was on the way to being done. Now it's a habit that soothes my anxiety, and makes it easy to prelog. I prelog every night just before going to bed, and that way I know what I can and can't have.

• rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    A friend talked me into doing meal prep on Sundays. It takes an hour or two, but it makes it easier for me to stay on track when most of the food is portioned and ready to eat.