Today's Mantra... ๐Ÿง˜๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    321j9d6zow3u.png

I could not disagree with this more....

I think I see where you're coming from but for myself this was very much about not overthinking things, taking action and living whatever happens ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Well that i can on board with. But what i took from that saying was, go with the flow, whatever happens, happens. I do not accept that. If i did, id never have made it out of the projects. Id never have made it through the Marine Corp. Id never have started my own businesses. I would probably be dead or in jail......or best case scenario living off the system like the majority of those that still do from where i was raised....those that accept their fate because thats the way it is and just go with it. No, i do not accept that.

My mantra, initiate change, purposely get uncomfortable, do not accept the hand you were dealt. Even if you cant change it the power of enlightenment comes from the battle as much as the victory. Nobodys character was ever developed inside a comfort zone.

I get what you're saying Brother and in many ways have reservations about this message of my own for similar reasons...

Although to use my weightloss as an example, which I hate doing ๐Ÿ˜‚... I don't believe that I can take any credit for it... I was largely carried by fate, simply just a matter of experience and influences in my life that compelled me to make the changes I did... Anyone granted my life would have very much made the same choices and changes...

I use to think that every hurdle that came my way during my weightloss journey was a challenge to my will... Now I see that my will had nothing to do with it and I'm just incredibly fortunate and lucky that God has not decided to knock me off this ride yet because such things are not within my power to decide...

I know there is a school of thought that says I can choose at any moment to get off this ride... But I really can't, the brain does what it must... I'm not in control of it anymore then I control which way the wind blows in China...

That all being said... My ig page I created is ironically all about taking action ๐Ÿ˜‚... But that is just the way I'm fortunately flowing, the more I create and practice, the more positive change I'll see... Just letting things flow naturally and staying out of the way...
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited May 2021
    321j9d6zow3u.png

I can agree with this to the same points that the Serenity Prayer brings to mind.

Prayer for Serenity
    God, grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the wisdom to know the difference.
    Living one day at a time,
    enjoying one moment at a time;
    accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
    taking, as Jesus did,
    this sinful world as it is,
    not as I would have it;
    trusting that You will make all things right
    if I surrender to Your will;
    so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
    and supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

Reinhold Niebuhr
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,013 Member
    321j9d6zow3u.png

I think I see where you're coming from but for myself this was very much about not overthinking things, taking action and living whatever happens ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Well that i can on board with. But what i took from that saying was, go with the flow, whatever happens, happens. I do not accept that. If i did, id never have made it out of the projects. Id never have made it through the Marine Corp. Id never have started my own businesses. I would probably be dead or in jail......or best case scenario living off the system like the majority of those that still do from where i was raised....those that accept their fate because thats the way it is and just go with it. No, i do not accept that.

My mantra, initiate change, purposely get uncomfortable, do not accept the hand you were dealt. Even if you cant change it the power of enlightenment comes from the battle as much as the victory. Nobodys character was ever developed inside a comfort zone.

I get what you're saying Brother and in many ways have reservations about this message of my own for similar reasons...

Although to use my weightloss as an example, which I hate doing ๐Ÿ˜‚... I don't believe that I can take any credit for it... I was largely carried by fate, simply just a matter of experience and influences in my life that compelled me to make the changes I did... Anyone granted my life would have very much made the same choices and changes...

I use to think that every hurdle that came my way during my weightloss journey was a challenge to my will... Now I see that my will had nothing to do with it and I'm just incredibly fortunate and lucky that God has not decided to knock me off this ride yet because such things are not within my power to decide...

I know there is a school of thought that says I can choose at any moment to get off this ride... But I really can't, the brain does what it must... I'm not in control of it anymore then I control which way the wind blows in China...

That all being said... My ig page I created is ironically all about taking action ๐Ÿ˜‚... But that is just the way I'm fortunately flowing, the more I create and practice, the more positive change I'll see... Just letting things flow naturally and staying out of the way...

There is a man that i am in lock step with in lifes general philosophy, his name is David Goggins. He is not for everyone, and neither am I. But he sums up his thinking like this:

He believes in God.

Goggins used to be a 300 lb guy with a suck job spraying for cockroaches for a grand a month, he could barely read, he was a compulsive liar to make people like him, and he pretty much quit everything he ever attempted.

He ended up losing 106 lbs in 3 months, became a navy Seal, and went on to be one of the fittest and baddest mofos on the planet.

His fear, was going to heaven and sitting before god as that 300lb guy and god pulling out his life chart.....on the chart it has him being a 185 lb Navy seal, having a masters degree in college, setting the pull up record, being an ultra runner, changing thousand of lives with his mantra practioner over theorist.

When 300lb cockroach spraying Goggins sees this chart he says, God this isnt me.....God says, that was who you were supposed to be.....i gave you everything to be that, you chose to not use it.

I believe this. I believe we have choice, i believe we have will. I believe there is a wide spectrum of what we are given, and what we do with that is our choice. I believe to think ones success is due to fate of god is a narcissistic view. That ones fate is favored by God over another. To be clear i do not believe in God. But if one does, and they claim to have success only by his grace, while others just as faithful do not.....i believe that to be narcissistic to be thought of as a chosen one. Even if one speaks of it in humble terms.

I dont believe philosophy need to be deep and cryptic. I believe, too many times people get lost in messages trying to find the meaning. I have no theory on how to live life.......life will happen no matter if you are ready or not. But i believe in the words of the US constitution where is says, "you have the right to pursue happiness".....you dont have the right to be happy, but you sure are allowed to try like hell. I think thats our choice, and we have been given that to deal with.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    321j9d6zow3u.png

There is a man that i am in lock step with in lifes general philosophy, his name is David Goggins. He is not for everyone, and neither am I. But he sums up his thinking like this:

He believes in God.

Goggins used to be a 300 lb guy with a suck job spraying for cockroaches for a grand a month, he could barely read, he was a compulsive liar to make people like him, and he pretty much quit everything he ever attempted.

He ended up losing 106 lbs in 3 months, became a navy Seal, and went on to be one of the fittest and baddest mofos on the planet.

His fear, was going to heaven and sitting before god as that 300lb guy and god pulling out his life chart.....on the chart it has him being a 185 lb Navy seal, having a masters degree in college, setting the pull up record, being an ultra runner, changing thousand of lives with his mantra practioner over theorist.

When 300lb cockroach spraying Goggins sees this chart he says, God this isnt me.....God says, that was who you were supposed to be.....i gave you everything to be that, you chose to not use it.

I believe this. I believe we have choice, i believe we have will. I believe there is a wide spectrum of what we are given, and what we do with that is our choice. I believe to think ones success is due to fate of god is a narcissistic view. That ones fate is favored by God over another. To be clear i do not believe in God. But if one does, and they claim to have success only by his grace, while others just as faithful do not.....i believe that to be narcissistic to be thought of as a chosen one. Even if one speaks of it in humble terms.

I dont believe philosophy need to be deep and cryptic. I believe, too many times people get lost in messages trying to find the meaning. I have no theory on how to live life.......life will happen no matter if you are ready or not. But i believe in the words of the US constitution where is says, "you have the right to pursue happiness".....you dont have the right to be happy, but you sure are allowed to try like hell. I think thats our choice, and we have been given that to deal with.

I appreciate what you have to say man and I believe we agree on a lot of things... But respectfully have varying perspectives on a few...
    I like Goggins but success in this sense isin't the end game of life, it doesn't make one a good person and I would argue that it may not even necessarily make one a good person to admire on its own merit... Who's to say 300 Goggins wasn't every bit of a good guy, who God might have been just as proud of..

Three messages I really appreciated in eastern philosophy... Everything is Interdependent, Impermenant, and Selfless... There are no things, just changing events that we attribute value to... And it's all linked together...

The thing that gets me it's how much science largely agrees with these ideas, just from a different perspective... I mean who makes the choice? Choosing from what I've seen lately ๐Ÿ˜‚, is really a biological process... I mean, the brain makes us do things, we don't make the brain do things...

And I honestly looked at ego the other way... Say for example if I stood here and told everyone the problem is just that they are not as disciplined, or motivated as I was... I just can't bring myself to do it, the simple fact is that I just had a different life experience... And it's completely objective, nobody chosen or anything like that...

All this said... The most important thing to me is the example my life sets, in particular to my kids... And that's enough to compel me to try to do the right things, real or imagined...

TL:DR - These days I lean towards believing that Goggins is a brain, he doesn't "have" a brain... He's just an objective series of changing events that we attribute a value to... Same as the rest of us ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • Revolu7
    edited May 2021
    321j9d6zow3u.png

He believes in God.

I appreciate what you have to say man and I believe we agree on a lot of things... But respectfully have varying perspectives on a few...
    I like Goggins but success in this sense isin't the end game of life, it doesn't make one a good person and I would argue that it may not even necessarily make one a good person to admire on its own merit... Who's to say 300 Goggins wasn't every bit of a good guy, who God might have been just as proud of..

Three messages I really appreciated in eastern philosophy... Everything is Interdependent, Impermenant, and Selfless... There are no things, just changing events that we attribute value to... And it's all linked together...

The thing that gets me it's how much science largely agrees with these ideas, just from a different perspective... I mean who makes the choice? Choosing from what I've seen lately ๐Ÿ˜‚, is really a biological process... I mean, the brain makes us do things, we don't make the brain do things...

And I honestly looked at ego the other way... Say for example if I stood here and told everyone the problem is just that they are not as disciplined, or motivated as I was... I just can't bring myself to do it, the simple fact is that I just had a different life experience... And it's completely objective, nobody chosen or anything like that...

All this said... The most important thing to me is the example my life sets, in particular to my kids... And that's enough to compel me to try to do the right things, real or imagined...

TL:DR - These days I lean towards believing that Goggins is a brain, he doesn't "have" a brain... He's just an objective series of changing events that we attribute a value to... Same as the rest of us ๐Ÿ˜‚

Well.....id agree with you.....but then we'd both be wrong ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, and if God preferred the 300lb Goggins, he would have stayed 300lbs.....or, maybe as you suggest, he did prefer the 300lb version, but the mere fact he didnt stay that way would be proof of us having choices and nothing, even gods preference, would be absolute. Either scenario means we have will and choice.
  • abbelina04
    abbelina04 Posts: 280 Member
    Just keep smiling
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    321j9d6zow3u.png

He believes in God.

Oh, and if God preferred the 300lb Goggins, he would have stayed 300lbs.....or, maybe as you suggest, he did prefer the 300lb version, but the mere fact he didnt stay that way would be proof of us having choices and nothing, even gods preference, would be absolute. Either scenario means we have will and choice.

Dude I've been listening to some crazy *kitten* lately... I just finished this great courses lecture series on metaphysics... In it the professor offers many different interpretation and theories about souls and the nature of our minds...

The most compelling of them all is basically that souls don't exist, minds don't exist, even persons in general don't exist...

It's like the ship of Theseus... Where you change one board in the ship at a time and question whether or not it's still the ship of Theseus... At what point is it not the same ship... It's a difficult question to answer because the ship of Theseus never really existed to begin with... It's just a value that we attributed to an ever changing phenomenon...

In many ways it seems like the same thing Laotzu and the Buddha would likely have said if they had modern science... In many ways it is what they said...

But I'll agree with you in the sense that we can not allow a transcendent to depricate our experienced reality and have to go with what we experience in the end ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ
  • Revolu7
    321j9d6zow3u.png

He believes in God.

Dude I've been listening to some crazy *kitten* lately... I just finished this great courses lecture series on metaphysics... In it the professor offers many different interpretation and theories about souls and the nature of our minds...

The most compelling of them all is basically that souls don't exist, minds don't exist, even persons in general don't exist...

It's like the ship of Theseus... Where you change one board in the ship at a time and question whether or not it's still the ship of Theseus... At what point is it not the same ship... It's a difficult question to answer because the ship of Theseus never really existed to begin with... It's just a value that we attributed to an ever changing phenomenon...

In many ways it seems like the same thing Laotzu and the Buddha would likely have said if they had modern science... In many ways it is what they said...

But I'll agree with you in the sense that we can not allow a transcendent to depricate our experienced reality and have to go with what we experience in the end ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ

I enjoy the sometimes differing, sometimes like minded thinking you share. Its always interesting, and never something i just dismiss, it definitely makes me think.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    321j9d6zow3u.png

He believes in God.

I enjoy the sometimes differing, sometimes like minded thinking you share. Its always interesting, and never something i just dismiss, it definitely makes me think.

Definitely Brother and likewise... Such as the nature of these things, discussing different perspectives...

But one thing we can definitely agree on is that Canelo is about to whip this Dude ๐Ÿ˜‚...
  • Revolu7
    321j9d6zow3u.png

He believes in God.

Definitely Brother and likewise... Such as the nature of these things, discussing different perspectives...

But one thing we can definitely agree on is that Canelo is about to whip this Dude ๐Ÿ˜‚...

Truer words were never spoken. This Saunders guy boxed well.....until Canelo shattered his face......good fight, good prediction ๐Ÿ‘
  • qxana1969
    qxana1969 Posts: 9,330 Member
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it." -Eckhart Tolle
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member
    hnuadtvy9diy.jpeg
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member
    lb0yj1pa99rq.jpeg
  • Miss_Chiev0us_
    Miss_Chiev0us_ Posts: 2,208 Member
    It's just a bad day, not a bad life โค
  • terrordawg
    terrordawg Posts: 19,462 Member
    Inhale relaxation
    Exhale tension
    ๐Ÿง˜๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ
  • Peachesand_cream
    Peachesand_cream Posts: 594 Member
    Focus on the step in front of you, not the whole staircase.

โค๏ธ
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    tzkddopdfmwl.jpg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Focus on the step in front of you, not the whole staircase.

Definitely a keeper! Love it.