January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Going back to the posts about Parkrun - I wish we had it here. I think it would be a fun and different. There aren’t any close to here at all.

None here either. I look from time to time, but nothing. Sounds like people really enjoy them.
    They are currently expanding in the US so keep checking. Houston is adding a second location this weekend on the north side of town near The Woodlands. I believe they are also working on a third location within what our city refers to as the “inner loop”.

We do not have any within our state at all:
    3ms0o4zy6rmn.png

Appears there is one in Atlanta now, but that is if for GA.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Going back to the posts about Parkrun - I wish we had it here. I think it would be a fun and different. There aren’t any close to here at all.

None here either. I look from time to time, but nothing. Sounds like people really enjoy them.
    They are currently expanding in the US so keep checking. Houston is adding a second location this weekend on the north side of town near The Woodlands. I believe they are also working on a third location within what our city refers to as the “inner loop”.

We do not have any within our state at all:
    3ms0o4zy6rmn.png

Appears there is one in Atlanta now, but that is if for GA.

There are 2 here in TN, but closest to me is actually just over the border in KY. That's still a 2.5 hr. drive, so it is not something I would do most weekends.
    8a672a1506695625188a5f10e0b377dc.png
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else do long runs without a hydration pack?

I bought mine and loved it but the longer the runs got and the more full the pack got, the less I liked it. I think today I’m going to try just the belt with some gels and see how that goes and if i feel better
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,957 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @katharmonic Glad the knee is feeling better! Finger and toes crossed that your weekend runs will be pain free.

@polskagirl01 Glad you found a park run nearby. Looking forward to hearing how it went. Was catching up on the thread. Glad you enjoyed the park run!!!
    Now I'm curious. How do you accidentally start running? :)
    Me too!

@T1DCarnivoreRunner I didn't know you were in TN. I'm in East Tennessee, but the Knoxville one is still over an hour away. Like you, not something I would want to do every weekend.

@Tramboman I was planning to run today. Thanks for letting me know about the badge.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll Thank you!!!

@Camaramandy648 I ran with the standard military issued camelback that my husband used on all his ruck marches. But it drove me nuts to run with something on my back. So I bought a strap for one of the zillions of water bottles we already have and I use a "fanny pack" with gels in them for a run anything longer than a couple of hours. I drink water before I leave the house and I run on sidewalks alongside gas/stations, usually, and pass my house and I can refill if I need to plus I carry a couple of dollars if I needed to stop for something at the gas station but I haven't needed it yet. I like running as light as earthly possibly. Camelbacks are nice, though, especially if you get far away from home.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,957 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    If you have time on your hands and don't want travel you end up setting up and running an event like my brother has, which started opposite his house! peatlingchallenge.co.uk/
    guch7drc6z3w.jpg
    59rgshrdg4fo.jpg
    hk2yzgraiocc.jpg
    This looks like a perfect race for @7lenny7! Not sure he would be willing to fly to the UK to run in it though! 😁

Where is @7lenny7 ? I haven't seen any posts from him lately. I hope he is okay.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    @katharmonic Thank you so much for the advice!!! I'm not running further than 1.6 miles from my house in case my husband has to peel me off the pavement. It's 1.6 miles in each direction with two hills, one big, up and down. I'm doing that 1.6 × 2 back and forth = 3.2 × 6 laps = 19.2 + 4 laps (.25 miles) at the middle school track smack dab in the middle. I didn't have any major issues on the 18 but I ran 5.1 miles into the boonies on a trail where if I needed medical assistance of any kind or even just my husband, it would have been difficult for anyone to even find me. I will have greater peace of my this trip. Thank you for sharing your experience...I appreciate when people share what worked for them.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else do long runs without a hydration pack?

I bought mine and loved it but the longer the runs got and the more full the pack got, the less I liked it. I think today I’m going to try just the belt with some gels and see how that goes and if i feel better

Not any more. I used to, but since getting the Wunjo I have used it on all long runs. It is easier to organize salt tabs, food, and drink AND has a place to store extra hand warmers, gloves, etc. Plus since y clothes are almost completely black, the little bit color in it is helpful for visibility.

I used to only run with belt bags, but during summer runs I need a lot more hydration and often add 2 water bottles to my 1500ml hydration pack.

The bag itself is light and comfortable. The 1500ml of water weighs around 3.5 pounds which is not much for a person of my size. I will lose more than that in sweet during a summer long run. A lot more.

Also, I used to run through a park that had water fountains so I could stop and refill my bottles. That made running with less hydration easier.

Nowadays I try to plan my run so that that I have everything I need for the entire run on me. Especially in races where hydration stations are great games of Russian Roulette for me. :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar - if you take your phone when you run your husband can likely track you on your phone if you set it up. I have done that with mine for when we travel and I run in unknown places he could find me if need be. At home I run mostly the same route and there are typically quite a few people out on the trail if I needed help.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @janejellyroll Thank you!!!

@Camaramandy648 I ran with the standard military issued camelback that my husband used on all his ruck marches.

I am guessing that was way oversized for running with. Most running hydration packs are light and cut to move with you as you run. If you could borrow one from another local runner you might have a different experience. I used to have a Camel pack that was not designed for running, more for light hiking. It was horrible in comparison to a decent running pack. (Camel Pak does making running ones, this was not one of those).

Just a thought for you. But do what works for best you. :)
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @LoveyChar - if you take your phone when you run your husband can likely track you on your phone if you set it up. I have done that with mine for when we travel and I run in unknown places he could find me if need be. At home I run mostly the same route and there are typically quite a few people out on the trail if I needed help.

Thank you...I don't pay for internet/WiFi or whatever it is outside of the house. Thank you, though. I might get it, though...smart idea for running into the unknown.