Women 200lb+, Let's Jump-Start This January!!!

Replies

• orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,159 Member
    @Savannah80 congrats on the loss! This journey has lots of ups and downs, enjoy the good bits!
    @CupcakeCrusoe @estherpotter1 congrats on the loss @theleadmare congrats on the smaller jeans! and great news @Tarzan074 on the TTOM, hopefully a loss is around the corner too.
    So great that people are doing so well in january, a couple more months and we will have great new habits!
    Loved the post about sticking to 1700 cals (sorry, if I scroll up to see who it was I'll lose this post) and fitting in treats, this is completely my philosophy, I'm not on a diet, I'm eating how I want to be eating, and it involves a lot less calories than I was eating before.
    Also loved the thing about putting your arms by your side without the sideboob! I feel like some weight is coming off my sides, I'd rather it came off my belly but we don't get to pick do we?
    Loved to read everyone's NSVs xx
  • mmccloy12
    mmccloy12 Posts: 151 Member
    @aliciap0116 I am a food prep queen! I have to or I get off track. I prep my BF, snacks and lunch and some dinners.

Do you use the recipe feature on MFP? I put all of my recipes in there...and that way every time I log, I can just chose that meal if I have made it before. If you get your recipe from a website you can import it and then tweak it to how you made it. I also use the app bar code feature...it's amazing...you can scan the items bar code if there is one...including the meat containers...and it will pop up with the items nutritional info. It helps to know my logging is exact and not going off someone else's add to the food database. I do a lot of sheet pan recipes, Turkey Meatloaf, Chicken with gouda/cream cheese and mushrooms. Mine may be a little high in carbs for your plan (you could eliminate the rice)...but the chicken one is only 200 calories, then I add veggies and 1/4 cup of rice. Total is 251 calories - 11 carbs 9 fat grams and 29 g of protein.

I am listening to the PNP podcasts too! I love the outlook she has. It applies to my life in so many ways! And the self talk is something I am really working on!

I am glad that you have your groove back!
  • mmccloy12
    edited January 2020
    I scanned all 4 ingredients with the bar code feature in the MFP app. When you go to add the recipe and search for the ingredient it will be at the top right hand corner. Great Value is the Walmart brand

Chicken mushroom gouda
    calories

Matched Ingredients
    100%

Servings 6
    calories per serving 200

4 Ingredients

24 oz Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
    GV Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast

8 ounce Pieces & Stems Mushrooms! Great Value

6 slice (19g) Deli Style Sliced Gouda Cheese (12-slice Pack)

2 Table Spoon Great Value Cream Cheese

Pound chicken breasts flat so it is easy to top them. Cut into 4 oz filets. Put mushrooms on top of each filet. Then add cream cheese and top with a slice of gouda. Put on a sheet pan covered with foil. Cook for about 20 - 25 minutes at 375.

• mmccloy12
    I am not sure how to post a picture...but this is the nutrition for the recipe above. Like I said I add vegetables and 1/4 cup of rice in most cases
  • aliciap0116
    aliciap0116 Posts: 231 Member
    @mmccloy12 thank you!! I would love the turkey meatloaf as well when you have time.

I do use the recipe feature in MFP; I love it especially for soups because often I adjust the quantities of what goes in on the fly and love how you can edit and recalculate. I have used the bar code feature for packaged food but never for meat; that is a great idea too.

I have recipes for a white bean chicken chili, a hearty vegetarian minestrone soup, chicken pozole verde (courtesy of @sharpdust), vegetarian lentil marinara sauce, and now a coconut poached fish with bok choy (courtesy of @speyerj). Please let me know if anyone would like me to post them!
  • mmccloy12
    @aliciap0116 I would love the chicken pozole verde and the coconut poached fish with bok choy...I must have missed the post by @sharpdust and @speyerj

Turkey Meatloaf

Servings 4

calories per serving

3 Ingredients

Bread Crumbs
    30 grams Bread Crumbs Great Value Italian Bread Crumbs (1/3 cup)

No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes & Green Chillies
    10 ounce No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes & Green Chillies Rotel

All Natural Ground Turkey 1 lb(s) All Natural Ground Turkey Butterball Farm to Family

I also sometimes add some garlic powder and minced onion...if you do, the nutrition will be a little different but not much unless you add a lot! If you don’t like spicy you can use the Mild Rotel…but that will have more sodium. I like it spicy – more flavor!

Just put it all in a bowl and mix it up good...put in a loaf pan and cook for about 30 minutes on 375. I usually pair it with a vegetable and rice or a half a potato. If you don't have a loaf pan you can just shape it like a loaf...it will stay together...but you will have a lot of drippings.
  • aliciap0116
    edited January 2020
    Here is the recipe for coconut poached fish from @speyerj, from the NYT - I have not made it yet but it sounds AMAZING:

Makes 4 servings. Takes about 25 minutes, excluding food prep:

INGREDIENTS
    4 (6-ounce) cod fillets or other flaky white fish
    Kosher salt
    2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
    1 large shallot, thinly sliced
    2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
    1 fresh Thai or Serrano chile, thinly sliced
    2 (13 1/2-ounce) cans coconut milk
    1 ½ teaspoons fish sauce
    1 teaspoon light brown sugar
    About 7 ounces baby bok choy, ends trimmed and stalks separated
    ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro, both leaves and tender stems
    2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens
    Lime wedges (from 1 lime), for serving
    Flaky salt (optional)

PREPARATION
    Season fish well with salt. In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic, ginger and chile, and cook, stirring often until they become translucent, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
    Add coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar, and whisk together until combined and sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer. Add cod fillets and turn the heat down to low. Cover and cook until cod is just cooked through and opaque, about 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully remove the fish and plate in bowls.
    Add bok choy to the coconut milk broth and turn heat to medium-low. Cook bok choy until leaves are wilted and stems are tender, about 1 to 2 minutes.
    Divide bok choy evenly alongside the fish and ladle the coconut milk broth over each portion. Top with cilantro, scallions and a good squeeze of lime, and serve with remaining wedges on the side. Garnish with flaky salt, if desired.
  • aliciap0116
    And here is the recipe for Chicken Pozole Verde from @sharpdust, from Isabel Eats blog, with some notes about how I adapted it:

PREP TIME: 10 mins
    COOK TIME: 1 hr
    TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 10 mins
    SERVINGS: 6 servings (2 heaping cups each)

INGREDIENTS

2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, skin removed (I used chicken breasts instead of thighs)
    1 pound tomatillos, husked and washed (I used 2 lbs)
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped (or keep the seeds if you like it spicy)
    6 cups chicken broth (I have made it twice and prefer it with 4 cups broth to give it a thicker consistency)
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
    1 large handful fresh cilantro, stems and leaves
    1 28-ounce can white hominy, drained and rinsed
    to serve: limes, radishes, jalapeños, cilantro, oregano

INSTRUCTIONS
    In a large pot or dutch oven, add chicken thighs, tomatillos, onion, jalapeños, chicken broth, oregano and sea salt. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover partially. Cook for 40 minutes, until chicken is fall-apart tender. (Next time I am going to cook the chicken breasts for less time; maybe 20 minutes?)

Transfer chicken to cutting board and shred with a fork. Set aside.
    Using a large slotted spoon, place the cooked tomatillos, onions and jalapenos in a large blender. Add a large handful of fresh cilantro, a cup or so of the cooking liquid and puree until completely smooth.

Add the shredded chicken, pureed veggies and hominy into the large pot. Stir and cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes uncovered. Taste and season with salt as necessary.
    Serve with fresh lime juice, radishes, jalapenos, cilantro and oregano.

NOTES
    To make in the slow cooker: Place all ingredients except cilantro and hominy in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. 30 minutes before it’s ready, transfer the chicken to a plate and shred with a fork. Remove the cooked veggies from the broth with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large blender. Add cilantro to blender and blend contents until completely smooth. Add the shredded chicken, blended veggies and hominy to the slow cooker. Stir, cover and cook for 30 more minutes.

To freeze: Cool the pozole in the fridge. Once chilled, scoop into freezer-safe zip-top bags or containers and freeze. When ready to eat, let frozen container thaw completely in the fridge or defrost in the microwave. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave until completely warm.