Women 200lb+, Let's Jump-Start This January!!!

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    @aliciap0116 Omg, look at that! Great job, you have a right to be super proud of yourself!

I'm proud of you also. <3
  • BrookeLynn18
    BrookeLynn18 Posts: 22 Member
    @aliciap0116 Congratulations 🎉🎉 WooHoo!
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Requested by @bluffgirl67 and @aliciap0116 after seeing it in my diary:

If you have a subscription to the NYT you should be able to get the recipe here:
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020631-thai-inspired-chicken-meatball-soup

But if you don't:

Thai-Inspired Chicken Meatball Soup - makes 6 servings Takes about 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS
    1 (4-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled
    6 garlic cloves, peeled
    1 jalapeño
    2 pounds ground chicken (you could sub turkey)
    1 large bunch cilantro, leaves and stems finely chopped, a few whole leaves reserved for serving
    3 tablespoons fish sauce
    Kosher salt
    2 tablespoons vegetable or coconut oil, plus more as needed
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 (14-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
    ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
    5 ounces baby spinach
    1 tablespoon lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
    Steamed white or brown rice, for serving

Notes: I had some lemon grass - so I threw that in when I added the broth and coconut milk.

PREPARATION
    Using the small holes of a box grater, grate the ginger, garlic and jalapeño (or finely chop them by hand). Transfer half to a large bowl and set the rest aside. To the large bowl, add the chicken, finely chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoons fish sauce and 1 teaspoon salt. Use your hands or a fork to fully combine but do not overmix.

Use your hands or an ice cream scoop to form 2-inch meatballs (about 2 ounces each). In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the meatballs in a single layer and cook, flipping halfway through, until golden brown on two sides, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and repeat, adding oil as needed. (Meatballs will be soft - don't fret if they break apart in cooking)

Once all the meatballs are browned and out of the pot, if the oil is burned, wipe it out and add a bit more to the pot. Reduce the heat to medium, add the reserved ginger mixture and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, sugar and the remaining 1 tablespoon fish sauce, and bring to a simmer. Add the meatballs and any juices from the plate, and simmer until the flavors come together and the meatballs are cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes.

Remove from heat, and stir in the spinach and lime juice. Divide rice among bowls, then top with meatballs, broth and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
  • orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,170 Member
    @aliciap0116 well done, that's so amazing, and such a beautiful post written from the heart. Amazing work, so nice to be seeing the results!
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    @aliciap0116 Who is cutting onions in here?! Well freaking done.

@BrookeLynn18 that sounds like so much fun! Just running with bubble machines going, or big rubber balls too?

@lizalus if you try it be sure to post about it! I'm super curious myself.

I'm just chugging along. Logging in Libra every day has the added benefit that it tells me how much my average calorie deficit is daily, and it's just making me want to log even more precisely so I can eat as many calories as possible. I think it's time for me to start making some of my own foods. When I'm doing my own recipes I'm good, I guess I should go through all those (some of them from literally years ago!) and make using my recipes a little more user-friendly. That'll be the goal for February- make sure I'm logging as precisely as I possibly can, no swedging.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    @momx4hill no guilt, only lessons learned. :smiley: Flo is coming for me, too, I can feel it.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    @aliciap0116 That is wonderful! Congratulations!
  • bluffgirl67
    bluffgirl67 Posts: 158 Member
    @aliciap0116 Tears of joy for you!!! I even bragged on you to hubby so now you are famous lol. You have done an amazing job over the past months. I'm glad you took a step out of your comfort zone and began posting here. Your support and journey is helping not only me but many others I'm sure. Now get that celebratory halfway point present lined up. You're going to need it soon girl.

@speyerj Thank you for the recipe. Those meatballs really called to me lol.

@BrookeLynn18 Great healthy NSV! Keep at it and you will rock that 5K.

@momx4hill Pesky little hormones messing up your plans. Stay focused today and leave tomorrow in rear view.

@CupcakeCrusoe Taking time to do your own recipes is a wonderful plan. Then you are in control and can tweak for better nutrition and lower calories. Since it sounds like you have many to go through maybe choose 5-10 favorites to start with. Better logging is a great goal for next month.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    @aliciap0116 That's wonderful!! Happy Onederland!! :grin:
    And also thank you for sharing the pozole recipe!! Sounds delicious and seems easy to make as well!! :smile:

• Tarzan37
    Tarzan37 Posts: 158 Member
    Congratulations @aliciap0116!! Your pedicure looks beautiful! :).
  • Thanks for sharing, I am about 240 pounds now but dealing with a broken ankle at this time, hope to be able to walk again in about 4 weeks and slowly build up to going to gym, I think yoga will become my best friend lol. Eating smaller portions and calorie counting have really been helping maintain.. I wish every well and hope you all reach your goal weight.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    @bluffgirl67 your food diary, with everything in grams, is honestly #goals. I'm going to try to find accurate entries for everything in grams next month.

@torihudson6 you're going to kick those feels right in the tail feather, as soon as you're ready. In the meantime, we're rooting for you, too.

@SaturnsbestMoon that's a great attitude you have there. And a fantastic username!
  • VeggieMeg71
    VeggieMeg71 Posts: 205 Member
    lizalus wrote: »
    Ok, so this will sound a little weird, but I'm curious for some thoughts. I am/was sort of trying to go plant based (couldn't quite stop eating meat) I like the benefits of the lifestyle, but am lamenting the no meat, dairy, fish. However, someone from the community suggested that plant based isn't bad but you should still have some benefits of eating meat etc...

This got me thinking. I absolutely love history, read it, watch it whenever I can. One area I particularly am in love with is the lifestyle of those in the 1940s era. Being as it was a wartime, they had meat and other things rationed. So many were kind of doing more plant based with meat, eggs, dairy added when available. I wonder if that could work today?

I accidentally found a website called the 1940s experiment. Whoever created it said they wanted to save money and lose 100lbs. I haven't read it all yet, but was excited to find they posted 182 wartime recipes that they made themselves!! So my thoughts, give that a try myself! I dont know if it worked for them yet, and I dont know how feasible it is, but why not try! I've already made the wartime loaf and it looks amazing!!

You may want to check this out: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/flexitarian-diet-guide#benefits.