WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2020

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Yes!!! My box of pre-pregnancy pants that I kept hoped would fit into again fits me!!! The rest that hadn’t fit me in 5years before JR gave to Daughter she has them at base to wear. Excited! So fatty patty clothes into a Tupperware container as I get older in case of a slip up in weight temporarily ...well we always hope it’s temporary. Still organizing it . Figure T-shirt like tops I wear the most so their in front y Dressy Attite athe best ones only in very front for quick grabbing.

Amber Tx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,036 Member
    Kelly: I mostly puréed what we were eating for my kids when they were tiny. Gradually moved to mashed then finally proper solids. Much cheaper, and I knew what they were getting.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I would be chicken pot pie.

Every so often (every 5 months or so), I buy a Marie Calender turkey pot pie with peas and carrots. It makes me remember as a kid getting the hot pot pie, putting a plate on top and then flipping it. The pie was upside down, its sauce all around it. It was really special.💖
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Amber: Congratulations on getting into your pre-pregnancy clothes. WTG!!!!! :star:

Rebecca: We also had store-bought pot pie when I was a kid. Good memories! :smiley: Regarding singing—music is a gift and you are gifted in that area. When you share your songs they become a gift to the people who are lucky enough to hear you. :star: I envy you. I sing almost as well as a tom cat getting ready for a fight in the back alley. :ohwell:

I just got back from running some errands. I was listening to the car radio and heard The Sinking of the Bismark. Fun song. I know it was from the 50’s but not just when.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • carolmelton147
    carolmelton147 Posts: 5 Member
    Hello all! I have been reading your posts and just love the feel in this thread. I am ALMOST 50! Will turn the big 50 this May and have made a commitment to self for better health and flexibility. (Yoga)

Over the past few days you discussed sweeteners. I was wondering if anyone had a feeling about Swerve? I really like it and use it in my coffee. I didn't see anyone discuss that particular type? Thoughts?
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Amber: Congratulations on getting into your pre-pregnancy clothes. WTG!!!!! :star:

Rebecca: We also had store-bought pot pie when I was a kid. Good memories! :smiley: Regarding singing—music is a gift and you are gifted in that area. When you share your songs they become a gift to the people who are lucky enough to hear you. :star: I envy you. I sing almost as well as a tom cat getting ready for a fight in the back alley. :ohwell:

I just got back from running some errands. I was listening to the car radio and heard The Sinking of the Bismark. Fun song. I know it was from the 50’s but not just when.

Awe, that is sweet thank you.💖. I think of my voice as a friend I don't speak to that often. I do need to find an outlet.👍. Lee thinks opera is generally just swinging cats by their tails😂.
    💖Rebecca
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    :p
  • Katla49
    carolmelton: If you can pretend you're 50+, we can too. Welcome! :bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) I don't use my food mill much anymore because I like things lumpy--mashed potatoes, applesauce, pumpkin
  • carolmelton147
    carolmelton147 Posts: 5 Member
    Katla! Thanks! I am embracing it!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    CarolMelton- Never heard of it is why! Swerve
    Swerve comes in packets,granules, y confection sugar it showed in my search. Non-GMO! 0 calories Erythritol,Natural Flavors, Oligosaccharides is the ingredients for each Swerve product.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Swerve-Sweetener-Confectioner-Sugar-Replacment-12-Oz/107091934

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Swerve-Sweetener-Granular-Sugar-Replacment-12-Oz/227335563

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Swerve-Sweetener-Sugar-Packets-Replacment-40-Packets/145089447

Serving Sizes young people try to guess you can too.You’ll be surprised the answers.
    https://youtu.be/b_NB9vTqYlU

One issue is as Kids we were usually taught clean your plate which promotes over eating yelling the child to ignore their instincts that tell them they are full to stop eating! So of course that will carry into Adulthood! Or A parent who decides for the child their portion based on child dieting or lack of foods in the home causes a kid to crave food more due to hunger pains so even when full they feel hungry. JR is on a eat till he says he’s done diet (Dietician approves of this method) if he wants more he gets it if less he can stop.If craving a different nutrient such as a peanut butter sandwich instead of a grilled cheese also allowed. The Doctor said he will get over his pickiness with time y age ,but keeping this learning to know when his body is truely hungry or not is an important step to a future of healthy choices. Daughter was also taught this way y got counseling for food issues from the abuser early age so she has no food issues. Now the rest of us has to learn to push a plate away ignore the guilt for that (Hubby fighting this still).

Amber Tx

Barbie- Yes mash potatoes 🥔 should be lumpy! JR likes smooth tho I love lumpy!

Closet organizing is spilling into clothes drawer organizing too sigh* starting to hate clothes maybe I should go nude just play some music behind me so they think I’m in a comedy skit!
  • Katla49
    edited January 2020
    :flowerforyou:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    edited January 2020

Rebecca love the light switch.
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Margaret: How did those great performers lose their voices? Was it simply old age, or was it cigarettes or other substance abuse? Willie Nelson had a live performance near here a few years ago. He seemed as good as ever from what I heard. We didn’t go because we don’t like crowds. :noway:

Heather: You are lucky to have such good food choices. Our choices have dropped due to DH’s digestive system. FODMAP rules our shopping and cooking. Gluten free baked goods have more calories than wheat based baked goods. I still have my commercially baked sourdough bread. I haven’t baked bread in ages. :ohwell:

SuziQ: Oregon passed a bottle bill many years ago, at about the same time as British Columbia & CA did the same thing. I believe many other states have followed that system since then. Washington DC was in that early group, but not VA. I wonder whether VA eventually did the same. I don’t know. People pay a 10 cent deposit on every beverage can and bottle now. It started out at 5 cents. You can take beverage cans and bottles back to the store and get your bottle deposit back. We choose to donate ours to the local food bank. They return the cans and bottles to the store for money so that they can offer their clients more quality food. :star:

Machka: Congrats on getting your abstract done! :star:

Margaret: Antibiotics are valuable to fight infections, but too often are over prescribed. Then the germs seem to become more or less immune to them. I caught something infectious when I visited my grandchildren and was on antibiotics for a few weeks when I got home. I hope I don’t have to take antibiotics again any time soon. :noway:

Lanette: I take all the flu and measles vaccinations that come along because DH can’t take them at all. It is an effort on my part to keep him a little bit safer. :ohwell:

Barbie: We have a food mill just like the one in your photo. It makes awesome applesauce. :star: It makes good mashed potatoes, too, but I rarely use it for either purpose. Color me LZ. :embarassed:

Time to head for my yoga class. Have a great day, everyone.

Frank Sinatra was smoking, drinking, and age...Whitney Houston drugs and alcohol...Julie Andrew she had surgery I think for polyops, and it destroyed her singing voice. Polyops in singers can occur from over singing and tention when you are singing or speaking. Julie Andrews was a broadway performer.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    3xcfdf80g87w.jpg
    Bernie watches TV

This is adorable. <3 Bernie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,332 Member
    Went to the water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Skinny Yoga DVD

Amber – thanks for the recommendation about Pandora’s Lunchbox. I have it ready to download when we go to FL (it’s only available from our library in audiobook and many times I listen to audiobooks while I’m laying at the pool). Probiotic and cranberry? Are you talking cranberry sauce? Yeeeaaaa for fitting pants. Maybe don’t keep all of your fatty patty pants. I have about 2 or 3 pairs of pants that are a size larger to wear outside when the pair I have now get ripped or whatever

SuziQ – I have done that (taken a picture). I just find it better to have the recipe itself. It’s big enough. Hhhh…wonder if the type would be big enough if I took the picture with my tablet? I do know that I’ll have to keep scrolling upwards to see how much of a certain ingredient is needed. If I just have the recipe there, I can just look up. To me, it’s just easier.

After exercise stopped at the Salvation Army (didn’t get anything) then WalMart then home to put away the refrigerated items, then the soup kitchen. Miss Sourpuss was there. They had grilled cheese and taco soup with brownie or Danish for dessert. And they wonder why I never eat there? I do take a bottle of water, tho.

Margaret – lovely paintings. Wish I could do that.

Baby food – it really is more nutritious to make it in the IP

Karen VA – I’ve always wondered if someone has whooping cough and then gets the vaccine, will it help them get over whooping cough faster? I kept after Vince to get the new shingles vaccine, he procrastinated. By the time he finally got it, the second shot was backordered. In the meantime he went on Medicare and hadn’t met his deductible so it wound up costing us $168. For me, I was still on the health insurance from his company so it was free for me.

I don’t have a problem getting preventive immunizations, even taking a medicine (maybe an antibiotic) if I really need it. But I prefer to eat healthily and exercise. To me, that is the best medicine. Like you, SuziQ, I’m fairly healthy. There were many years when I didn’t even meet my medical deductible.

Organic foods - I certainly would go that route if they weren’t so expensive.

Shirley NY – I hope you get your VivoFit back real soon. Glad you found the reason for the calorie discrepancy.

I’m trying making a pork tenderloin in the IP. Sometimes pork tenderloin can be a bit dry because it’s so lean. I’ll see how it comes out in the IP. Update: did it ever come out juicy!

Marolmelton – welcome

Barbie – you know the mashed potatoes are homemade when they have lumps

Going to watch some TV and then maybe crochet some more

Michele NC