WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2020

Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Lisa and Machka- I am with you on the green peppers. I can taste even the tiniest hint and it does ruin the whole dish for me too. I hate it when restaurants list what is in a dish and fail to say green peppers, as if everyone must like them!

Tina in CA

I lean toward being vegetarian and will often order vegetarian meals in restaurants, but I have to watch carefully because a lot of vegetarian meals will be like ...

A bright medley of green, yellow and red capsicum, baked into savoury muffin topped with blue cheese and served with a side of mushrooms and wild rice. :rage:

I'll add, that in addition to wild rice tasting like the bottom of a swamp, so do mushrooms. Mushrooms are rubbery, slimy pieces of mouldy dirt.

And blue cheese is just mould. Like if you were to open your fridge and grab that container which has been sitting in the back there for the past 6 month, and open it ... the stench that comes off all that green fuzz inside the container is blue cheese.

A lunch as described above would be torture for me!! I'd probably order the chicken dish instead.

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    stats from the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 8.09min, 135mhr, 11.6amph, 1.58mi= 68c
    apple watch- 68c
    LATERAL MACHINE- 20min, 46arpm, 6midth, 6resist, 108mhr, 101ahr, 1.43mi= 69c
    apple watch- 118c
    ARM SPIN MACHINE- 10min, 36arpm, 115mhr, 1.79mi= 29c
    apple watch- 75c
    floor exercises- 5min, 2sets of 10ea, 4 diff exercises, 123mhr= 15c
    apple watch- 36c
    bike ride gym 2 dome, sprinkles- 5.33min, 142mhr, 16amph, 1.48mi= 49c
    apple watch- 49c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station, aprinkles- 16.40min, 145mhr, 11amph, 3.04mi= 148c
    apple watch- 112c
    jog sta 2 wrk, sprinkles- 5.24min, 10min mi, 154mhr, .54mi= 68c
    apple watch- 64c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.40min, 10.10min mi, 152mhr, .45mi= 60c
    apple watch- 64c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 21.06min, 7.3amph, 156mhr, 2.58mi= 198c
    apple watch- 154c

total 820 cal
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    edited January 2020
    Annie DE - congrats on getting to the gym!

Welcome everyone new!

Finished my Jiminy Cricket but I won't be able to pick it up until March!

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    Katla - I hope your hubby is better. I reread books quite frequently every 5 years or so. I find sometimes it’s like I’m going back to visit and old friends and other times like I’m meeting strangers. My husband never opens the same book twice and can tell you plot lines, characters and synopsis years later.

Barbara - sounds like a mixed bag at the annual.

Lisa and Machka - this whole Supertaster is so me. I 100% agree, peppers taste like dirt. Spices hurt my tongue. I am incredibly fussy and have always been harassed for it.

I had a fairly good day at work today. My mouth is sore and feels bruised from the dental work last night. I’m about to go soak in a hot tub and then I’ll watch my This is Us episode. I love that show. I also really enjoy A Million Little Things

Tracey in Edmonton
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited January 2020
    I used to buy a Danish product which were cubes of creamy blue cheese in a jar with a spicy olive oil mixture. Adding a couple to a salad or mixing with pasta was delightful. My favorite salad is cranberries, bits of blue cheese with almonds on a bed of spinach, and quinoa sprinkled about. Tastes are as individual as we are.👍
    💖Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Katla - I hope your hubby is better. I reread books quite frequently every 5 years or so. I find sometimes it’s like I’m going back to visit and old friends and other times like I’m meeting strangers. My husband never opens the same book twice and can tell you plot lines, characters and synopsis years later.

Lisa and Machka - this whole Supertaster is so me. I 100% agree, peppers taste like dirt. Spices hurt my tongue. I am incredibly fussy and have always been harassed for it.

I had a fairly good day at work today. My mouth is sore and feels bruised from the dental work last night. I’m about to go soak in a hot tub and then I’ll watch my This is Us episode. I love that show. I also really enjoy A Million Little Things

Tracey in Edmonton

Tracey in Edmonton

Tracy get ready to cry! Love that show and it always play a tune on my heart strings!
    💖Rebecca
  • Machka9
    edited January 2020
    Cooking -- I don't like cooking, and feel uncomfortable and out of my depth if I have to do a bit of it. About the only way I can do it is if I treat it kind of like a science experiment.

Baking -- I love baking!!

Supertasters -- it's nice to know there are others of us out there!! I have encountered a lot of comments and rolling of eyes when I exhibit a certain degree of pickiness regarding foods.

Antihistamines -- Even Claritin, which is supposed to be non-drowsy, leaves me feeling a little bit drowsy. Last night I took another one of these new antihistamines and was out cold for 4 hours. I got up and took another one then and finished off the night in deep, blissful sleep. If nothing else, at least I'm getting some good sleep! The itching seems to have reduced as well.

Coronavirus -- https://www.health.gov.au/news/coronavirus-update-at-a-glance

"As of 06:30 hrs 30 January 2020, 7 cases of 2019-nCoV have been confirmed in Australia."

"Overnight, the World Health Organization announced it will reconvene the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee today. The Committee will reassess whether the outbreak of 2019-nCoV constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern."

Today -- The temperature was a bright, blazing sunshiney 34C ... so I went for a 4.8 km walk to celebrate that at lunch!! :)

Machka in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited January 2020
    Machka we got 5 cases in USA 🇺🇸 so far.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/coronavirus-u-s-map-where-virus-has-been-confirmed-across-n1124546

China 🇨🇳 7,771 cases (170 deaths)

68 cases in 15 other countries so far.

Amber Tx

https://apple.news/A4ZBUEOmjTKa6iT5BjtPeiA China post

Having a baby keeping up in it plus Daughter where one case is! 2 in California that’s where she is.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Machka, Lisa and Tracey: Thank you for sharing your experience on being super tasters. I now will have more compassion with friends and family I have previously considered ridiculously picky eaters. Never knew how difficult it was for you. Sounds absolutely awful.

Katla: Hope DH starts to feel better soon.

Barbara: Thank you for the juice recommendation. I live 12 minutes from Trader Joes so I went today to get some. How did I miss this delicious gem before?

KJ: So proud of you! That's a great loss.

Amber: I didn't learn to cook until I was in my 40's. A gift of a cookbook called 'Bread and Soup' got me started experimenting, and little by little I just expanded my skills. You will too, I'm sure. 🥕🥑🥝🍲

Michele
    : I make yougurt about every 3 weeks because I am the only one here who uses plain. Like Karen said, about every 3rd time, I buy a small carton of Chobani plain Greek yougurt for the starter, but in between use a heaping tablespoon of my yougurt with a half gallon of full fat Fairlife. milk. I keep it in the IP for 10 hours. It's not that tart, and I love it with fresh fruit and a sprinkle of granola. I strain and put the whey directly into my blender to make up three protein smoothies. I bottle up the smoothies and enjoy within the week. Already have berries and supergreens washed and ready to do this tomorrow. 😋

I had my annual physical yesterday and a mammogram today. All went very well, and best of all, it was my FINAL pap smear, as my medical group doesn't recommend them for healthy women over 65. Yay! Stupid cold lingers, but symptoms still just a mild runny nose with occasional series of sneezes my DH describes as 'atomic'. Today was the first time in 3 days I could drum up the energy to ride the recumbent bike and do my stretches. I was supposed to tour an adult day care facility to ascertain if it would be a good fit for DH, but the gal who gives the orientations has been out all week with a cold.

As Margaret has said, sleep so important. I'm off to get my zzzzzzz now. Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Reveling in the NOW
    Colorado Foothills
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2020
    Tracey: I hope you’re feeling better after your recent dental work. Soaking in the hot-tub sounds like an excellent idea. :smiley:

Machka: Coronavirus sounds serious and dangerous. Looking at the map, my daughter lives in a state where there has been one case so far. Illinois, Washington and Arizona each have one reported case and California has 2. That is five to many and scary. :cry:

Rori: Thanks for your good wishes for DH. He’s gone to bed early this evening. I hope he rests well. :flowerforyou:

I have been reading a series of books by a favorite author, Lisa Kleypas. This series is set in San Juan Island in Washington state. We have visited San Juan Island several times in years past and have loved it there. I’m enjoying reading the books & have one more available in this series. I’ll probably get started reading it in a few minutes.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited January 2020
    hi I was unable to get onto the site due to some bug, for some weeks. unable to track. That didn't help matters. :( Here we are having lots of strikes. fcjedorqnqrs.png Well, a new day. New beginning.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,930 Member
    Good morning/afternoon/evening to everyone. Where did January go? 😂

Jan Summary

Current Stats
    Terri: Female; 74 next birthday; live in Northern Ireland; married > 53 years; ex Maths teacher; volunteer group leader for U3A (University of the Third Age - life-long learning charity); 5 years on MFP; assistant Coach for Sole Mates walking group
    SW: 227 (Mar 2014)
    LW: 146.7 (November 2019)
    CW: 149.4
    GW: 145

20 Goals for 2020: Managed these quite well in Jan, so sticking with them for Feb
    • 1. Pre-log every lick, sip and bite (Daily) 🎉I find this so useful
    • 2. Stay under goal (Daily) 🎉
    • 3. Balance macros/micros (Daily) mostly
    • 4. Hydrate adequately (Daily) 🎉
    • 5. Choose healthy snacks (Daily) 😏 Could do better 😂
    • 6. 7500+ Steps (Daily) 🎉
    • 7. stretch before/after workouts 😏 getting there. Don't always remember
    • 8. 15+ minutes HIIT > 5 days a week 🎉
    • 9. 15+ mins lower body > 5 days a week 🎉
    • 10. 15+ mins yoga/tai chi > 5 days a week 😏Getting there
    • 11. Dance group (twice a month) 💃🏻🕺🏻
    • 12. Practice self-care (Daily) 🎉
    • 13. Stay up to date with accounts (monthly) 🎉
    • 14. Mindfulness Practice/meditation ((Daily - morning/evening) 🙏🏻 Namaste 🙏🏻
    • 15. 1 or more 15 mins Declutter sessions (Daily) 🎉
    • 16. Finish > 2 ongoing craft projects (monthly) 😏 1 done
    • 17. Purchase essential items only 😏 was doing well. Need new winter footwear as old ones leaked. Bought shoes, boots and trainers in the sale. Do these count as essential
    • 18. Read > 1 book from 'to read' pile 🎉 Currently reading 3rd book.
    • 19. Complete > 2 ongoing crochet projects (monthly) 😏almost! One done, one nearing completion.
    • 20. Learn something new (daily) 🎉

I've fallen way behind on reading posts this week. I will try and skim through this evening and tomorrow to get caught up.

Fairly busy today. Dancing this morning, then Monthly Meeting after lunch, and DYD is coming for dinner tonight.

Welcome to anyone new, (((hugs))) to those who need them. Keep on keeping on.

☘️ Terri
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all...

Rori - thanks for the understanding. I think it's very human to believe that, if it tastes good to me, it tastes good to everyone, and vice versa. I've come to realize every human is unique in every single one of our senses. Something that tastes rough to me feels smooth to my husband. Something that smells bad to me is just fine to him (most milk). Even our sight, as in the blue to purple range, he will see something as completely blue, and to me it's absolutely purple. The differences fascinate me!

Julie - welcome back, I'm sorry things have not gone well for you of late.

KJ and Rebecca, and anyone else with triumphs of late, well done on the weight loss!

Yesterday was just about as exhausting as figured it would be, but I did get a grant uploaded in the afternoon.

More than anything yesterday, a very interesting question came up, and my own answer surprised me. So I thought I'd bring it to all of you. If you decide to answer, please share the first one that comes to mind.

What are you longing for?

I'll share mine at a later point, promise.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    Lisa - The first longing that comes to mind is my huge longing for my memoirs to be recognised and achieve a wide public. I think they have so much to offer those who have been abused as children and I long to share my experience of growing out of that experience with more people. I long to share that at conferences and on the media. I want to champion the child who has suffered and offer hope.

As it is, I plod along, writing my few hundred words most days, keeping the dream alive in my imagination. Hacking away at the coal face is never glamorous, but I am privileged to be doing it. Hugely privileged to have a purpose in life, my writing, that has kept me going, through all the ups and downs, all my life.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    morning Ladies~I am up dressed and having my tea..and Aflie barking at the tv... all is normal
    yesterday a better day, i was running around crazy.. my son, I love him dearly but he has no clue of reality.. he has been driving a 1997 toyota corolla with almost 300,000 miles on it and took it in for a oil change.. well the front axle is broken.. i asked Dan what do you have in savings.. oh about 500.00 , you need a couple thousand I told him..and he said well why dont you buy it for me.. he is 35 yrs old man working part time at a grocery store.. uhhh no.. I am not doing that. but he needs to do something..he lives a couple miles away...from work..
    I am working 9-5 today.. and 7:45 -5 tomorrow and will go to Zina's dad funeral on Saterday..
  • Machka9
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all...

Rori - thanks for the understanding. I think it's very human to believe that, if it tastes good to me, it tastes good to everyone, and vice versa. I've come to realize every human is unique in every single one of our senses. Something that tastes rough to me feels smooth to my husband. Something that smells bad to me is just fine to him (most milk). Even our sight, as in the blue to purple range, he will see something as completely blue, and to me it's absolutely purple. The differences fascinate me!

I think my husband and I have colour differences in the limegreen/yellow/orange range.

Regarding eating, not only am I a supertaster, I also have a reduced sense of smell so I'm a texture eater. If the texture isn't right ... it isn't going down! Eating is complicated!! :lol:

LisaInAR wrote: »
    More than anything yesterday, a very interesting question came up, and my own answer surprised me. So I thought I'd bring it to all of you. If you decide to answer, please share the first one that comes to mind.

What are you longing for?

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

And that's a very complicated question too! Or rather ... the answer is complicated.

Machka in Oz