Calorie Counter

Message Boards Chit-Chat
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Little things that irk you 🤬

Replies

• ReenieHJReenieHJ Member Posts: 2,448 Member Member Posts: 2,448 Member
    Why, when people post a meme, lots of people are loving it, but it leaves me with "Huh? I don't get it?" I wish somebody could explain it to me but then I'm not going to put myself out there as the obvious idiot that I must be to ask; just hoping someone else does that first. :)

OH and as I was laying in bed last night, I thought about the nipple pics and the poor humiliated dog :wink: and thought "Oh, now I get it(the purpose of the 1st post). There were 7 nipples and they were wondering why there wasn't an even placement of nipples".

Somebody....smack me upside da head before my stupid carries me into the day any further.
  • vanityy99vanityy99 Member Posts: 1,962 Member Member Posts: 1,962 Member
    Sick of these ‘reggaeton’ artist biting off other songs, and they are notorious for it.

h

• J_NY_ZJ_NY_Z Member Posts: 1,760 Member Member Posts: 1,760 Member
    People saying "I believe...."

Facts are facts, quiet down.
  • MaltedTeaMaltedTea Member, Premium Posts: 2,980 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,980 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Sick of these ‘reggaeton’ artist biting off other songs, and they are notorious for it.

As long as I can remember, all kinds of reggae artists have covered each other's stuff (as well as samples). I'll go out on a pretty sturdy limb and venture to say this is where hip hop found sampling inspo. While I'm sure there's some historical reasoning, but I don't know it.

Reggaeton is not really my thing but if they're embracing/honouring traditional reggae then this may be why.
    MaltedTea wrote: »

As long as I can remember, all kinds of reggae artists have covered each other's stuff (as well as samples). I'll go out on a pretty sturdy limb and venture to say this is where hip hop found sampling inspo. While I'm sure there's some historical reasoning, but I don't know it.

Reggaeton is not really my thing but if they're embracing/honouring traditional reggae then this may be why.

Why do you think that’s how hip hop found sampling inspo from? Based on what? Or are you just saying that for sake of discussion?

If anyone can sample off eachother, it’s them IMO.

Thats apart of the music industry, whatever..but Reggaeton artist take it to new levels- it’s even in their name they just added the ‘ton’ at the end. No shame in there game.

Also, in general I don’t like when the music industry rips off another song.. they call it ‘inspiration’, embracing, honouring’ but really it’s called lazy, I’m an ‘artist’ but can’t use my noggin to come up with a hit myself.

edited September 26
  • MotorsheenMotorsheen Member Posts: 18,313 Member Member Posts: 18,313 Member

music sampling kinda has distant-cousin roots in surrealism and dadaism, with artists using found sounds as samples to create ambient noise compositions as artwork, like luigi russolo’s ‘the art of noises’ from way back in early 1900s, where he sampled sounds from a bathroom to create like weird droning ambient noise.
    then around 1920s-40s an avant-garde art movement built off that and started musique concrète, which was compositions entirely from recorded samples, most art historians kinda credit that movement with the start of sampling

Avant-garde, ambient, bathroom droning is my jam.
  • MaltedTeaMaltedTea Member, Premium Posts: 2,980 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,980 Member

Why do you think that’s how hip hop found sampling inspo from? Based on what? Or are you just saying that for sake of discussion?

Thats apart of the music industry, whatever..but Reggaeton artist take it to new levels- it’s even in their name they just added the ‘ton’ at the end. No shame in there game.

Also, in general I don’t like when the music industry rips off another song.. they call it ‘inspiration’, embracing, honouring’ but really it’s called lazy, I’m an ‘artist’ but can’t use my noggin to come up with a hit myself.

Just chit-chat and not hornet nest raising (which I already inadvertently did earlier this week so my monthly quota has been reached).

Unlike this student's essay ("Hip Hop Is Heavily Influenced By Reggae Cultural Studies Essay" [2018]), I'm not a musical or cultural historian. I'm but a mere mortal whose uncle was a DJ with a heavy reggae arsenal back in the 70s through to the 90s. 😍

And certainly, I misspoke since hip hop also found inspo from other genres beyond reggae; jazz, for one.

Did jazz come before reggae and reggaeton? I dunno. And I don't wanna do any more Google searching (as interesting as the above was for me).

Again, just chit-chatting. But I get the gist: you're irked. And one person's "irk" is sometimes another person's "interest" (I eat covers UP! You should see my Soundcloud playlists!) The world's weird like that.

ETA: Ohhhhh, dadaism is new to me @sweet_ermengarde. Thank you! And thus, my evening plans have been scheduled. Grabs headphones and searches her Google Podcast list for "Dada..." well, maybe "Dadaism" is a better search term)
    edited September 27
  • sweet_ermengardesweet_ermengarde Member Posts: 1,088 Member Member Posts: 1,088 Member

Just chit-chat and not hornet nest raising (which I already inadvertently did earlier this week so my monthly quota has been reached).

Unlike this student's essay ("Hip Hop Is Heavily Influenced By Reggae Cultural Studies Essay" [2018]), I'm not a musical or cultural historian. I'm but a mere mortal whose uncle was a DJ with a heavy reggae arsenal back in the 70s through to the 90s. 😍

And certainly, I misspoke since hip hop also found inspo from other genres beyond reggae; jazz, for one.

Did jazz come before reggae and reggaeton? I dunno. And I don't wanna do any more Google searching (as interesting as the above was for me).

Again, just chit-chatting. But I get the gist: you're irked. And one person's "irk" is sometimes another person's "interest" (I eat covers UP! You should see my Soundcloud playlists!) The world's weird like that.

ETA: Ohhhhh, dadaism is new to me @sweet_ermengarde. Thank you! And thus, my evening plans have been scheduled. Grabs headphones and searches her Google Podcast list for "Dada..." well, maybe "Dadaism" is a better search term)

you can just follow that with “ambient 1: music for airports by brian eno” as like palette cleanser
    edited September 27
  • sweet_ermengardesweet_ermengarde Member Posts: 1,088 Member Member Posts: 1,088 Member

you can just follow that with “ambient 1: music for airports by brian eno” as like palette cleanser

this is more about influence on electronic music but pretty good too

http://www.ahoem.org/?podcast=episode-4
  • xGreatWhiteNorthxxGreatWhiteNorthx Member Posts: 335 Member Member Posts: 335 Member
    When i order an iced coffee but what they give me is an "iced" coffee made with lukewarm coffee that melts the ice cubes fast enough that it's still not cold by the time the ice is all melted.
    Thanks for the links.
    I get that different genres of music may have been birthed, evolved, inspired, or whatever from somewhere. But I’m just talking about blatant copying. Ok, fine reggaeton, be inspired by dancehall/ reggae/rap... but they straight up over do it. IMO.

Don’t touch, especially classics.

oxct4q1chv5m.gif

Thanks for the links.
    I get that different genres of music may have been birthed, evolved, inspired, or whatever from somewhere. But I’m just talking about blatant copying. Ok, fine reggaeton, be inspired by dancehall/ reggae/rap... but they straight up over do it. IMO.

oxct4q1chv5m.gif

"Talent Borrows.... But Genius Steals."

~ Picasso
    When i order an iced coffee but what they give me is an "iced" coffee made with lukewarm coffee that melts the ice cubes fast enough that it's still not cold by the time the ice is all melted.

I hope you find inner peace in these most troubling of times.
  • CacoEtherCacoEther Member Posts: 1,244 Member Member Posts: 1,244 Member

When I go to Caribou i usually order mine with lots of extra ice. I much prefer the taste of the espresso over cold brew though so it’s a small price to pay 😌
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Thanks for the links.

oxct4q1chv5m.gif

~ Picasso

i think he said ‘lesser artists borrow, great artists steal’ but he borrowed that sentiment from ts eliot
    who said ‘immature poets imitate, grown poets steal, bad poets ruin, and good poets do better, or different’ (paraphrasing)

• Vikka_VVikka_V Member Posts: 9,312 Member Member Posts: 9,312 Member
    Thanks for the links.

oxct4q1chv5m.gif

~ Picasso

i think he said ‘lesser artists borrow, great artists steal’ but he borrowed that sentiment from ts eliot
    who said ‘immature poets imitate, grown poets steal, bad poets ruin, and good poets do better, or different’ (paraphrasing)

love this
    ...and it extrapolates to other ideas to me too
    Thanks for the links.

oxct4q1chv5m.gif

~ Picasso

Stupid Ol' Picasso