Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Net Carbs

deejaemihldeejaemihl Posts: 2Member, Premium Member Posts: 2Member, Premium Member
It is very frustrating to have to manually calculate the net carbs for each food item. Would be great to include the net carbs using the formula Carbs - Fiber - Sugar Alcohols = Net Carbs. The Lindora diet program i am on counts the net carbs. Aside from that, this is a great tool, i love the barcode feature, makes logging foods a breeze.

Replies

• Nony_MouseNony_Mouse Posts: 5,311Member Member Posts: 5,311Member Member
    The food labels in many countries already list net carbs. Having MFP automatically use a formula to calculate would wreck havoc for a lot of people, and they represent a far greater number of users than do those doing keto.

Try including 'net carbs' in your database searches, or make your own such entries if one doesn't already exist (just make sure to label it as net carb so it doesn't throw other people's data off). I believe there's also an extension you can download to do it for you.
  • deejaemihldeejaemihl Posts: 2Member, Premium Member Posts: 2Member, Premium Member
    I’m suggesting a separate category or line item for net carbs.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Posts: 22,029Member Member Posts: 22,029Member Member
    deejaemihl wrote: »
    I’m suggesting a separate category or line item for net carbs.

How would that work for all the people who are using entries that have already factored in net carbohydrates? It would be mass confusion.
  • deannalfisherdeannalfisher Posts: 5,437Member, Premium Member Posts: 5,437Member, Premium Member
    you could search for items that are labelled net carbs or create your own food entries (and then share them if properly labelled)
  • jimbeech618jimbeech618 Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
    I would also like to see net carbs calculated.
  • kemperrakemperra Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
    I would like to see Net Carbs too. Maybe they could build in a switch to toggle between net carbs and total carbs.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 4,850Member Member Posts: 4,850Member Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    The food labels in many countries already list net carbs. Having MFP automatically use a formula to calculate would wreck havoc for a lot of people, and they represent a far greater number of users than do those doing keto.

Try including 'net carbs' in your database searches, or make your own such entries if one doesn't already exist (just make sure to label it as net carb so it doesn't throw other people's data off). I believe there's also an extension you can download to do it for you.

As explained above, this is why they can't do it. The "carbs" entry most places besides the US and Canada is already net carbs, and thus many, many of the "carbs" amounts on entries existing in the database are already net carbs and would be wrong if fiber were automatically subtracted. MFP cannot automatically determine which ones currently include fiber and which ones do not, and could not even if it were more technologically sophisticated than it obviously is.

It is important to double check your entries anyway, and you can easily create net carb entries for your own use if subtracting fiber is actually burdensome for some reason.