How to reach reccommended protein level!

Options
13»

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Everyone has been saying even 150g is too high..then what is my ideal amount of protein?

If you are trying to gain muscles with weight training aiming for your weight in kg x 1.5-2 would be enough to achieve your goals. Aiming for closer to 100 grams is probably much more achievable but you could really go less.
  • AObravo123
    AObravo123 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    So what I do is think about protein in everything
    I.e. Breakfast
    Banana then workout then protein shake post workout
    Meal 1. have high protein bread with high protein peanut butter or 2. high protein yoghurt, with high protnuts drizzle honey, add berries,
    Mid morning = up and go high protein or protein bar or protein balls
    Lunch
    Muscle coach variety I.e. Chick and rice, beef etc. Or left over pesto pasta with chicken or endless variety chicken katsu don, lamb or chicken shish, chicken and veg etc.
    Afternoon snack
    Protein bar or protein cookie or nut bar
    Dinner
    Similar to lunch, variety endless high protein
    Some fruit for the fibre
    Late night
    Slow release 8hour casein protein powder

Sometimes I land on like 250+ grams protein
  • AObravo123
    Options
    AObravo123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I.e. Breakfast
    Meal 1. have high protein bread with high protein peanut butter or 2. high protein yoghurt, with high protnuts drizzle honey, add berries,
    Lunch
    Muscle coach variety I.e. Chick and rice, beef etc. Or left over pesto pasta with chicken or endless variety chicken katsu don, lamb or chicken shish, chicken and veg etc.
    Afternoon snack
    Dinner
    Some fruit for the fibre
    Late night

Just add me you can view my diary
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Typo !!! I meant to say 150g of protein!!! Eeek :s

But to answer everyones questions I have started training with a personal trainer and she has recommended i eat 1650kcal with 4 to 5 days of training.

Its 150g ..yep defo 150g lol of protein
    180g of carbs and 40g of fat

My weight is 59kgs and im 159cm tall :)

That's still a ridiculous amount of protein for your stats or in general. Did she say why this amount and how she came up with this number?

To be honest no, shes the professional im not so haven't questioned her. I may just mention that i am struggling to have that much protein throughout the day.. i can defo eat the carbs though lol

Most personal trainers are not qualified to give nutrition advice - what are her specific qualifications?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I.e. Breakfast
    Lunch
    Afternoon snack
    Dinner
    Some fruit for the fibre
    Late night

Are you eating AT LEAST (i.e. more than) 440g of fresh (frozen) vegetables and fruits each day on average?
    Are you eating *at least* 0.25g (0.35g if female) of, predominantly, healthy fats each day?
    Are you eating 27g fiber female / 38g of fiber if male
    (could be that I'm a gram or two off... look all this up in your national recommended intakes before adopting as your standard! I tend to be above the minimums without planning (except for the veg :blush:) so I don't worry too much about it!

Are you sure that your protein is not crowding out other nutrients that might promote even better health and better results for you?

His menu mentioned fruit (3 meals) and veggies (2 meals) so chances are he is aware of it and probably good (including the fiber).

Can't tell with information given on fats.

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other recommendations you’ve received and appreciate the calculator link that was posted. At 133 lbs I’m similar to your weight and fairly active. I personally try to hit at least 80g of protein daily. Preferably 100g daily. I sometimes will play with my food diary when planning meals to target 20-30g of protein per meal then hit the remainder in the snacks category. Greek yogurt helps. I like chicken and tuna as well. Plain Greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream in recipes can boost the protein a bit. I sometimes will drink an 8 ounce glass of skim milk at my snack time.

If I’m short on protein on a specific day, I don’t stress about it. I just try to hit the 80-100g target on most days.
  • AObravo123
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I.e. Breakfast
    Lunch
    Afternoon snack
    Dinner
    Some fruit for the fibre
    Late night

Are you eating AT LEAST (i.e. more than) 440g of fresh (frozen) vegetables and fruits each day on average?
    Are you eating *at least* 0.25g (0.35g if female) of, predominantly, healthy fats each day?
    Are you eating 27g fiber female / 38g of fiber if male
    (could be that I'm a gram or two off... look all this up in your national recommended intakes before adopting as your standard! I tend to be above the minimums without planning (except for the veg :blush:) so I don't worry too much about it!

Are you sure that your protein is not crowding out other nutrients that might promote even better health and better results for you?

I have a Mediterranean diet, my proteins are crowded by vegetables, herbs, nuts, beans and whole grains. Many are plant-based foods. Moderate amounts of dairy, poultry and eggs.

I make sure their are are variety of different coloured fruits and vegies as well. I have seeds, different types of grass coriander, lemon grass etc.

Always include strength building carbs/sugars..

Above is just the fundamental sources of reaching my protein goals as per the question asked.
  • alexandravictoria88
    alexandravictoria88 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would say typically 0.8-1g per lb goal weight/lean body mass for those with muscle building/retaining goals. Are you trying to lose, maintain, gain? If you are having issues hitting your calories and are struggling with that high number then lowering your protein a bit can help since it tends to be more filling.

Trying to lose weight and just tighten in general. I usually do struggle to reach that number, i will try and lower it slightly and see how it goes.
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    Hi,
    I.e. Breakfast
    Lunch
    Afternoon snack
    Dinner
    Some fruit for the fibre
    Late night

Yeah i do incorporate protein in every meal i have, which is fine. I just struggle to reach 150g lol. With everyone saying this is too high, i can still keep adding protein but at a lower level.
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    I agree with the other recommendations you’ve received and appreciate the calculator link that was posted. At 133 lbs I’m similar to your weight and fairly active. I personally try to hit at least 80g of protein daily. Preferably 100g daily. I sometimes will play with my food diary when planning meals to target 20-30g of protein per meal then hit the remainder in the snacks category. Greek yogurt helps. I like chicken and tuna as well. Plain Greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream in recipes can boost the protein a bit. I sometimes will drink an 8 ounce glass of skim milk at my snack time.

If I’m short on protein on a specific day, I don’t stress about it. I just try to hit the 80-100g target on most days.

I live on greek yoghurt:) Being greek cypriot ive grown up eating it with everything lol. I think i will try and target for 100g a day and see how it goes.