Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Database needs a cleanup and standardization

RichardMackinnonRichardMackinnon Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
The values in the list vary significantly, to the extent that you are never really sure if you can trust the values. It would be good if there was a standard list that was certified by some recognized body, and then the only other additions to the central list are via barcode, which can be linked to a standard database. Everything else is a personal list. Also standardize on measures. “Serving” is not a helpful measure! Also on the standards specify cooked or raw. Just my 10, 15, 18, cents.

Replies

• cathipacathipa Posts: 2,967Member Member Posts: 2,967Member Member
    Good luck since its been this way forever. Cronometer has a better database so check that out if you are looking for consistency.
  • BecomingBaneBecomingBane Posts: 3,667Member Member Posts: 3,667Member Member
    I'm sure the DB admins would be happy for you to volunteer to help them.
  • ceiswynceiswyn Posts: 2,173Member Member Posts: 2,173Member Member
    What do you mean by 'the only other additions to the central list are via barcode'? You do know that barcodes contain no information about nutrition, right?
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 14,494Member Member Posts: 14,494Member Member
    The values in the list vary significantly, to the extent that you are never really sure if you can trust the values. It would be good if there was a standard list that was certified by some recognized body, and then the only other additions to the central list are via barcode, which can be linked to a standard database. Everything else is a personal list. Also standardize on measures. “Serving” is not a helpful measure! Also on the standards specify cooked or raw. Just my 10, 15, 18, cents.

The MFP database has always been almost entirely crowd-sourced and maintained, it's kind of their schtick. Considering all the bugs that don't get fixed, I just wanted to warn you that the chances of this happening are almost zero.

As ceiswyn mentioned, the MFP barcode scanner doesn't create an entry for you, it just reads the name of the product and searches the database for something similar, just like if you typed the name into the search bar yourself.

Unfortunately, the amount of time, effort, and responsibility that would be involved in maintaining a database that was both consistently accurate AND diverse enough to work for how almost anybody eats, while keeping up with the constant changes to products and allowing for international variations, would be staggering. Which is why there really isn't a perfect app for everyone. The ones that are more consistent are more limited, at least in my experience!
  • 09Klr65009Klr650 Posts: 5Member Member Posts: 5Member Member
    Perhaps what is needed is the ability to "flag" obviously incorrect entries. With a filter to allow you to not see any entry that has more than "X" number of flags.
  • tinkerbellang83tinkerbellang83 Posts: 7,014Member Member Posts: 7,014Member Member
    you can already flag/edit incorrect entries